Sign in to follow this  
n007back

Remote Access

I'm trying to set up my laptop with Vista Home to remotely access my Desktop with Windows XP Home and I can't seem to get it to work. I do have the option to "allow remote access" on my pc with XP Home Edition on it.

Is there a better way to do this or can I even do it? My laptop is connected to the internet through a wireless router connected to my pc. Can I do some sort of networking to access this.

Sorry, but I'm almost completely incompetent when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks

Hi guys, I read your post, and I would like to know more. I want to know in order for the remote access to work, what all would I need to do. For example, my brother lives about 10 min from me, I want to know is there any way, that I could use the remote access and beable to look at his computer without living my house. What would we both need to do?

tinyvnc works great for me.

http://lifehacker.com/5080121/

Just make your desktop a simple SSH, and tunnel between your laptop and your desktop PC. To read more, you can go here: http://www.openssh.com/

Or of course, you can use some sort of VNC as mentioned above. I'm not sure if you want to be interractive with both the Laptop and the desktop, or if you are more or less sharing files between the desktop and the laptop.

If you just want to access your home PC from anywhere, there are quick, third part solutions such as Logmein.com, and gotomypc.com

Good luck.

Hi ...

I've dragged this topic out the past as it just about covers my needs and to give the kind people who have already replied the recognition they deserve.

My requirements.

That being to access my "Brother In Laws" PC some 40 miles away from the comfort of my home.

I have to connect up on a regular basis, even if it is just to allow / block a pop up, find a file.

This I've found to be far easier than have him turn up on the doorstep with his tower unit in hand.

He would first phone me Saying "Hi Bro, what are you up to right now" ... (The door Bell would ring, I would say, "Hang on someone is at the door" ... He would say ... "It's me, put the kettle on and could you fix this while I'm here, (I would have opened the door by now ... ROFL ... "What's up") I've locked mi'sen out of "Whatever" or this no longer works"

I hope you kind of guess my dilemma.

badbinary, on 31 May 2009 - 8:20 PM, said:

tinyvnc works great for me.

http://lifehacker.com/5080121/

I have used "NTR Connect" but that stopped working, and one other; but for life of me I can't remember what that was. Probably because it was to hard to use.

Please bear in mind that I'm only ONE-UP from a ID 10 T ... PC user myself ... ROFL ...

BadBinary gave the above link, to which I already use "LogMeIn"; but this is were my dilemma starts.

As of today 21 January 2014, with no prior E-Mail warning; apart from "LogMeIn is no longer FREE" (I just LOVE that word FREE)

Therefore I'm busy searching for a FREE alternative.

badbinary, on 01 Jun 2009 - 02:13 AM, said:

the best program for that type of thing that I've found is team viewer. both of you simply install it, he gives you the code and password, you put it in, and voila, you are on his computer and in full control.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Before I go off and try "Team Viewer" is it still FREE and will I need my "Brother In Law" to bring his tower unit to me first, so that I can remove LogMeIn.?

XPS9000 link looks way over my head ROFL. But I did note paragraph 2 about "File Sharing"

XPS9000, on 18 Jun 2009 - 10:50 AM, said:

Just make your desktop a simple SSH, and tunnel between your laptop and your desktop PC. To read more, you can go here: http://www.openssh.com/

Or of course, you can use some sort of VNC as mentioned above. I'm not sure if you want to be interractive with both the Laptop and the desktop, or if you are more or less sharing files between the desktop and the laptop.

If you just want to access your home PC from anywhere, there are quick, third part solutions such as Logmein.com, and gotomypc.com

Good luck.

This I have mastered with "Allway Sync" My Favorites into "Drop Box" taking full advantage of the FREE extra space by sending an "Invite" to "Drop Box" first, accept it; then do the reverse of the remote PC once I've set it up. Therefore when I'm connected up to his PC, it is the same as mine; more importantly all my stuff is backed up. And vise-a-versa.

Well that's my "TIP" not my best tip, that would be ...

"Never put a "Bulb" in your back pocket and sit down" ... ROFL

Regards

El Tel

Before I go off and try "Team Viewer" is it still FREE and will I need my "Brother In Law" to bring his tower unit to me first, so that I can remove LogMeIn.?

Yes, it's still FREE and you can remove Logmein after he installs Team Viewer and you have control of his PC. That sucks about Logmein, I've been using it for sometime and find it quite convenient, Team viewer is a good substitute tho'...except that brother in law will have to give you the ID/Password.

:geezer:

Hi

Thanks for the help, Team-viewer is up and working as this reply is from "Remote Access" :)

You are a "Star Man"

Now to find a place to sort out Skype update from MSN.

While I was connected up he Said why don't we try Skype, we used to MSN all the time, but never bothered to Up-Date to Skype.

I've got Skype working on my PC, that up-dated with no problem; but when I try it on here It stops with this

Can't put a picture in here? :facepalm:

Anyway off to find a "Topic Slot" for Help

Regards

El Tel