Sign in to follow this  
Corpsecrank

Added Stability

Anyone using windows has probably experienced a crash from explorer failing to respond. You can avoid the entire system locking up by making a simple change in the way explorer is handled.

What you will do is make explorer run in it's own process. I would not recommend this for an average user with an older computer. This would be recommended for those with 2gb or more ram multi-core processors help a lot also. This will not kill your system performance but since you are adding stability at a slight decrease to performance you would not want to do this unless you have resources to spare.

Anyways if you have plenty of ram and a fast processor you probably won't see any difference in performance just a more stable reliable system. So here it is.

Click Start/Run and type "regedit"

Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Look for the value "SeparateProcess". If available set its value to 1 (If you do not see it read on)

If the value did not exist then add a DWORD key by the name "SeparateProcess" and set its value to 1.

This will run Explorer in a seperate process and if explorer stops responding or crashes out you can just hit "ctrl alt del" and shut the machine down normally from there. The advantage is that your computer will not lock up or crash just because explorer did making the system a bit more stable. But like I said you will use a little more resources since explorer is a process of it's own. Those with modern systems would not even notice a difference in performance though.

This is not a good method of applying the tweak.  Instead, open Folder Options and, under the View tab, select Launch folder windows in a separate process.

...if explorer stops responding or crashes out you can just hit "ctrl alt del" and shut the machine down normally from there.

I think that this is not very useful.  What is the advantage of shutting down the computer when Explorer freezes?  When this happens (or any other program locks up, for that matter), a better strategy is to open the Task Manager and click Applications, then click the nonresponsive program and click End Task.

If every instance of Explorer stops and the program does not automatically restart (i.e., the Desktop disappears), click File, New Task, type Explorer and click OK.

This is not a good method of applying the tweak.  Instead, open Folder Options and, under the View tab, select Launch folder windows in a separate process.

I think that this is not very useful.  What is the advantage of shutting down the computer when Explorer freezes?  When this happens (or any other program locks up, for that matter), a better strategy is to open the Task Manager and click Applications, then click the nonresponsive program and click End Task.

If every instance of Explorer stops and the program does not automatically restart (i.e., the Desktop disappears), click File, New Task, type Explorer and click OK.

You can and that has a similar effect but it is not the same thing. I would recommend doing both for the most benefit.

I have been on and of the phone for 8 hrs today first with my Security it crashed cause actually unknown but required a complete uninstall and a reinstall plus running all the virus test & updates.

Second I received a notification to do a MS update it was a update to Exp 8 no problems ticked all the correct boxes etc and very soon it was up and running.

Then it kept closing down EXp had struck a problem sorry must close after the third time I contacted MS and received to add a tick in one of the settings. Fine all going well then closes down again. Again MS this time I was passed on to a technician and after several test I uninsulated EXp 8 and expected to to be told to reinstall it gain NO WAY.

It went back automatically to EXp 7

Reason for problem my security system is not compatible with EXp8

MS explanation try again in 3-4 months time.

Keith :adios::adios:

I have been on and of the phone for 8 hrs today first with my Security it crashed cause actually unknown but required a complete uninstall and a reinstall plus running all the virus test & updates.

Second I received a notification to do a MS update it was a update to Exp 8 no problems ticked all the correct boxes etc and very soon it was up and running.

Then it kept closing down EXp had struck a problem sorry must close after the third time I contacted MS and received to add a tick in one of the settings. Fine all going well then closes down again. Again MS this time I was passed on to a technician and after several test I uninsulated EXp 8 and expected to to be told to reinstall it gain NO WAY.

It went back automatically to EXp 7

Reason for problem my security system is not compatible with EXp8

MS explanation try again in 3-4 months time.

This is not a change to internet explorer it is a change to the explorer shell in windows. If you had a crash with security in internet explorer then it might have been due to any number of things from compatibility to a bad install.

The changes suggested above cause the explorer shell to run in it's own process and by separating it from other processes helps keep it from bringing down the rest of the system with it if it locks or crashes.

So you might want to start digging around for an answer to why internet explorer had an issue you might be able to fix the problem easily depending on what caused it.

On doing a bit more checking it is my security system they are the ones that have to do the catch up.

If I had contacted the Security company I would have been informed about the incompatibility.

Now its a waiting catch up game.

... select Launch folder windows in a separate process ...

You can and that has a similar effect but it is not the same thing.

It is exactly the same.  When "launch folder windows in a separate process" is unselected, the registry value SeparateProcess equals 0.  When the option is selected, SeparateProcess equals 1.  You can very easily verify this.

On doing a bit more checking it is my security system they are the ones that have to do the catch up.

If I had contacted the Security company I would have been informed about the incompatibility.

Now its a waiting catch up game.

Glad to hear you were able to find the problem. It's always a pain when you have to wait for things to become compatible with the latest versions of what your using.