Sign in to follow this  
Corpsecrank

Compress 1GB Files To 10MB

Are you trying to upload a .zip to online file storage? Are you trying to cram all you can onto a small flash drive? Want to email some huge file quickly? This tip should help you then :)

Anyone who frequently archives files or sends things around is familiar with the various compression tools used such as WinZip WinRAR 7Zip ect. These tools usually get the job done reasonable well. However there are some files that will not compress much at all or that are still to large even once compressed into an archive.

The solution is a better tool to compress with. Yeah I know your probably thinking great more crap to install. But the tool I recommend has insane compression and the files can be extracted in VERY short time with common tools such as WinZip or WinRAR.

The compression tool to use is called KGB Archiver.

KGB Archiver

Do not expect a large file to be compressed quickly though. You will need a few hours even on the fastest of machines. The advantage is maximum compression with a short decompression time that is compatible with common compression tools.

The key to this happening is choosing the correct options. The options are pretty obvious but I will point this out anyways.

When you run the program and choose a file to compress make sure you choose Zip format and set the compression level to maximum. There is an option to use KGB format instead of zip. The problem is that it will take hours to compress the file and then hours to decompress the file. Not only that but you can only decompress the KGB format with the KGB Archiver and our goal is to make a super small file that most anyone can decompress. Otherwise you would have to make sure that who ever is getting the file has KGB and about 6 hours of free time...

TBH I found this no better than 7zip which is what I use, in fact it was worse on the files I tried (it actually made 1 file bigger than it was before I started), so I don't rate this at all TBH, maybe others will find it better though.

TBH I found this no better than 7zip which is what I use, in fact it was worse on the files I tried (it actually made 1 file bigger than it was before I started), so I don't rate this at all TBH, maybe others will find it better though.

I'm actually surprized at your results. I used to use 7zip because it had the best compression but this actually worked better for me much better for what I was compressing.

What types of files did you test this with?

I tried to zip the new OS (Windows 7 both 32bit and 64bit) to test how good it was, it got one of them down a bit, but the other one turned out even bigger than it was before this lol.

coughbscough

Good to have BB back in the threads :clap:

But reality wise, whats the point? Only compress a file if you dont use it and want it for storage, BUT why keep it in storage if you dont use it? just toss it! Thats my tip!

Well just tried a couple of video files, and they simply crashed the program, from what I have seen so far, and the amount of requests for various permission (which for testing I granted) that came from this I feel it is no where near 7 zip so I wont be changing, and even with it uninstalled, it still leaves a remnant in the right click menu, so I now have to clean up my registry to remove that

it is simply impossible to compress a gigabyte into 10 megabytes and still have that data usable.

this is spam as far as i'm concerned.

what's next? my junk grows 10 feet from taking an herbal supplement??

Edited by badbinary

it is simply impossible to compress a gigabyte into 10 megabytes and still have that data usable.

this is spam as far as i'm concerned.

what's next? my junk grows 10 feet from taking an herbal supplement??

Nice attitude there champ.

But hey just so others can make a decision for them self.

This table is a test conducted with various compression tools and it shows the results for compression ratio time taken and so on. This list shows many many compression tools not just the common tools most know of.

Link: Compression Tools Test Results

KGB ranks 14th with a whopping compression ratio. Funny enough the top couple of slots on this test are actually newer variations of the KGB compression tool.

You should not be so quick to claim something is junk or spam until you have seen the same results on everyone else's system and not just your own. I found this program to have the best compression of all tools I tried. And you also took my thread topic extremely literal. I could have made the topic "cram 10 pounds of crap in a 1 pound bag!" for all it matters yet you decided to take it so serious and literal...

Edited by Corpsecrank

So about that beer pong game the other day :P

Corps dont take it personally. BB is like that, he finds something out of realistic terms he wont trust it. Im same way.

I never tested the program but dont care to since I dont have files lol But i am sure that it can compress a decent amount. there are alot of factors for this and the claim they took may have favored there terms. Look at a car, they say an intake will give you 14HP but real life you add maybe 5HP.

Im sure you posted for the good of the forum, and not spam! :tup: