Sign in to follow this  
Corpsecrank

Performance RAM Discussion

So as I sit here planning out another outrageous system I find myself stuck while choosing ram.

Now I have been at this for a while and I have an idea what I am looking for but the problem is that I cannot make a decision because there are a couple of questions I need answers to before I can make the decision properly.

So here is what I have already come up with thus far.

1. Your choices in ram are limited when looking for something really really extreme.

2. The configuration your planning can easily limit choices further.

3. Unless you have a money tree in your back yard your choices are limited even further.

4. There aren't many companys offering DDR3 1800 sticks designed for extreme setups.

Basically I narrowed my ram search down to 3 possible choices. I can buy Corsair Dominator as a 4gb kit or as a 6gb kit or I can buy some OCZ Reaper in either 4gb or 6gb kits.

Now the question I have is this. Will a tripple channel kit run as 3 single channels or a dual channel pair and a single channel stick in a setup not using a core i7?

I ask this because Corsair only offers the newest Dominator line as a tripple channel kit for i7 systems. OCZ offers the Reaper line this way also. I am not using Intel's junk i7 but I still want this ram.

I really wanted the ReaperX ram but considering you need to space them every other DIMM or they won't fit means I am stuck with either Reaper or Dominator as my choices. If the tripple channel thing isn't going to work out very well then I will just grab 2 Reaper 4gb kits for the system.

how your memory performs is completely dependent upon your chipset.

Or more correctly on the memory controller, whether in the chipset or integrated on the cpu.

Also don't get hung up on kits. In a lot of cases the same sticks can be bought separately for less then the kits.

Don't forget there is no such thing as dual or triple channel ram, that is all totally dependant on the memory controller.

Also don't get hung up on kits. In a lot of cases the same sticks can be bought separately for less then the kits.

Don't forget there is no such thing as dual or triple channel ram, that is all totally dependant on the memory controller.

Hmmm, I didn't know this. Would you be willing to explain a lil further.

all the kit is, is two (or more) ram modules at the same amount, timing and speed. there's nothing special about it whatsoever aside from that.

to expand on badbinary's explanation..

if you bought 2 identical sets of dual channel(so called) ram and used 3 of the 4 sticks in a triple channel motherboard like an x58 then that ram would now be called triple channel ram by the manufacturers.

ram is ram..

what matters is the speed that ram can run at and if the motherboard supports it.

its the way the memory controller uses it that means single, dual, triple channel.

single channel means controller can only read/write 1 stick at a time.

dual is 2 to sticks at same time.

triple is 3 sticks at same time.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Let me explain for you, you have single channel= 1 stick then u have dual channel this is two sticks hence the name dual channel the best dual channel setup is interleaved this means the memory controller treats both sticks as one so you get less bottle necks (system hanging) if your not using i7 then forget triple channel because its only availible for i7 setups. If you want peformance then your best off with a dual channel kit DDR3. corsair and ocz are the most common brands for super systems i prefer ocz my self Pc 14400 (1800Mhz) reapers are what i would use if i had the cash but if your on a budget then ddr 2 1066mhz Offers good performance for value and can be over clocked to 1100Mhz+. Most motherboards come with a dual channel controller these days, If you come across one that isnt its not worth wasting your money on it, Also some people say get 8gb for a good system which is a waste of time and money cause windows 7 dont even need that much, A 4gb dual channel kit= performance.

I am not using Intel's junk i7 but I still want this ram.

I really wanted the ReaperX ram but considering you need to space them every other DIMM or they won't fit means I am stuck with either Reaper or Dominator as my choices. If the tripple channel thing isn't going to work out very well then I will just grab 2 Reaper 4gb kits for the system.

Dont knock i7 until you have tried it the lowest priced i7 cpu beats my quad core intel even when its overclocked to 4Ghz the i7 comes with 4 cores But each core has hyper threading which basicly means each core acts like a dual core so in total its the same as having 8 cores for outstanding performance.

Also you are best off with the reaperx as you will find most motherboards space dual channel kits every other dim any way

And if you get 2 4gb kits you will be at a disadvantage because 4 sticks= single channel mode that means your mem controller will treat each stick as one cutting your performance right down like i sed in my last post dual channel is the best option as i treats both sticks as one making the system run much smoother and faster.

Also 8gb? are you running a server?

Edited by got the flavor