Sign in to follow this  
rapido

TUNE UP YOUR PC AND SPEED IT UP!

Follow Step By Step

1. Adjust Your Visual Effects : Go To Start - Control Panel - System And Maintenance - System - Advanced System Settings - Advanced - Performance Settings - Click On Custom - and Select Only Smooth Edges Of Screen Fonts And Use Visual Styles On Windows And Buttons...

2. Disable Uneeded Startup Programs : Download Winpatrol, View And Select Which Startup Programs You Dont Need...

3. Delete TEMP Files : Go To Run Type TEMP And Click Ok, And Delete Evreything That Appears Right There...

4.Delete All Your INTERNET HISTORY : Delete ALL Your Private Data If Using Firefox On Tools - Options - Clear Private Data And Select All And Click Clear Private Data, On Internet Explorer Internet Options - General - Delete - SELECT ALL And Delete...

5. Do A Disk Cleanup : Using Windows Disk Clean Up, Start - Control Panel - System And Maintenance - Click Below Administrative Tools - Free Disk Space - It's Going To Ask You Wish Files To Delete Select ALL...

6. Defrag Your PC : I Would Recommend Using Auslogics Defrag Or DISK MD

7. FINALLY RESTART YOUR PC And You're Good To Go !

WINPATROL

http://download.cnet.com/WinPatrol/3000-80....html?tag=mncol

AUSLOGICS DEFRAG

http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-De....html?tag=mncol

Edited by rapido

Follow Step By Step

1. Adjust Your Visual Effects : Go To Start - Control Panel - System And Maintenance - System - Remote Settings - Advanced - Performance Settings - Click On Custom - and Select Only Smooth Edges Of Screen Fonts And Use Visual Styles On Windows And Buttons...

3. Disable Uneeded Startup Programs : Download Winpatrol, View And Select Which Startup Programs You Dont Need...

4. Delete TEMP Files : Go To Run Type TEMP And Click Ok, And Delete Evreything That Appears Right There...

5.Delete All Your INTERNET HISTORY : Delete ALL Your Private Data If Using Firefox On Tools - Options - Clear Private Data And Select All And Click Clear Private Data, On Internet Explorer Internet Options - General - Delete - SELECT ALL And Delete...

6. Do A Disk Cleanup : Using Windows Disk Clean Up, Start - Control Panel - System And Maintenance - Click Below Administrative Tools - Free Disk Space - It's Going To Ask You Wish Files To Delete Select ALL...

7. Defrag Your PC : I Would Recommend Using Auslogics Defrag Or DISK MD

8. FINALLY RESTART YOUR PC And You're Good To Go !

What is step # 2. Or did I miss it?

Thanks,

Brian

There is a problem with "5. Delete All Your INTERNET HISTORY ...".  This will actually make Web browsing slower.  It is a good idea to reduce the cache size as suggested.

Regarding "3. Delete TEMP Files ...", although Windows\Temp often has a lot of temporary files, most will accumulate in the user accounts used to install programs, drivers, etc.  Log on to each account used for this purpose, press Winkey+R to open a Run prompt, type Local Settings\Temp and click OK.  Delete the contents.

Also, check for orphaned Tempoary Internet Files folders, which can consume large amounts of disk space over time.  Open a command prompt, type Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.ie5 and click OK.  If more that four folders exist, delete all but the newest four.  Click View and Details to see the dates.

There is a problem with "5. Delete All Your INTERNET HISTORY ...".  This will actually make Web browsing slower.  It is a good idea to reduce the cache size as suggested.

Regarding "3. Delete TEMP Files ...", although Windows\Temp often has a lot of temporary files, most will accumulate in the user accounts used to install programs, drivers, etc.  Log on to each account used for this purpose, press Winkey+R to open a Run prompt, type Local Settings\Temp and click OK.  Delete the contents.

Also, check for orphaned Tempoary Internet Files folders, which can consume large amounts of disk space over time.  Open a command prompt, type Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.ie5 and click OK.  If more that four folders exist, delete all but the newest four.  Click View and Details to see the dates.

I still have a question about Item 3 "Deleting TEMP files.

When I go to search and put in "TEMP" and hit run, I get 30 to 40 different types of TEMP files, How do I know what I can delete? or do I select "ALL" and hit delete? :surrender:

When I go to search and put in "TEMP" and hit run

Using Search to find the Temp folders was never suggested.

Click Start and Run, or tap the R key while pressing the Windows key (often labeled with the MS flag or the word "Start").

To open the Windows temporary files folder, type %WinDir%\Temp and click OK.

OR

To open your own temporary files folder, type %Temp% and click OK.

You may delete any files and folders located in the temporary files folders.  If a file is in use, however, Windows will block the deletion.  It's best to perform the deletions immediately after starting the computer, which ensures that few or no temporary files will be in use.

Using Search to find the Temp folders was never suggested.

Click Start and Run, or tap the R key while pressing the Windows key (often labeled with the MS flag or the word "Start").

To open the Windows temporary files folder, type %WinDir%\Temp and click OK.

OR

To open your own temporary files folder, type %Temp% and click OK.

You may delete any files and folders located in the temporary files folders.  If a file is in use, however, Windows will block the deletion.  It's best to perform the deletions immediately after starting the computer, which ensures that few or no temporary files will be in use.

:clap:

Thank You, Now I understand - I don't always think of Windows Temp Files.