Sign in to follow this  
timmo

Fax On Wireless Connection

Hello,

I am based in the UK. I am running windows XP and have a Lexmark X4650 wireless all in one printer. I connect to broadband internet via a netgear wireless router.

I have been trying to send a fax for the first time. I have updated XP and the Lexmark with the necessary software. When the Lexmark tries to aquire a modem it finds an old dial up still connected to the box but not the wireless system. It happily scans the pages in and tries to send but obviously fails as it goes to the discontinued modem.

I have gone through the help files and Google but don't seem to be able to find a solution.

Is it possible to send a fax through a wireless router?

Many thanks,

Timmo.

As far as I know, no you cannot send a fax through a wireless connection, due to the fact that a fax requires tone, which would require a dial-up modem.

There are however E-Fax services for hire.

Hope this helped.

Edited by LA8490

Many thanks for the help. It is as I suspected really. To my non techno head it makes me wonder why they enable a wireless printer to fax if you can only do it on a dial up connection.

Thanks again,

Timmo.

you can easily send a fax through wireless, or ANY network connection to any networked fax machine or fax service such as http://home.efax.com/s/r/efax-brand10?VID=...CFQghnAodWE469g

if your all-in-one printer supports faxing, it will need a phone line to send direct faxes, but again, there's always an alternative.

Thanks for the advice and the link. I solved it on this occasion by going to the local town and paying someone to send the fax. I don't need to fax very often but I will certaily bear in mind the service you linked to in the future.

Regards,

Timmo.