Sign in to follow this  
Wigan

Create a toolbar to smarten up your Desktop.

If you have loads of shortcuts on your desktop, like me, the smartest way to hide them is to create a new toolbar. Like this;

Posted Image

First of all start off by creating a new folder in 'My Documents'. I've called mine 'Programs', but you can call it whatever you want.

Posted Image

I then had a look at what my Desktop shortcuts actually were and sorted them out in to different sub headings.

Posted Image

I created a new folder for each subheading and copied the shortcuts directly to that folder from the desktop (drag and drop being easiest).For example, in 'Google' I had the shortcuts to all my online Google services.

Posted Image

( For how to do this, see here: Create desktop shortcuts for Online services )

Now after I had finished sorting, I then closed 'My Documents' and right clicked on the toolbar next to the clock;

Posted Image

By choosing 'New Toolbar...' it automatically brings up a dialogue to search for a folder. Click the + next to My Documents and then select the folder in which you crated all your subheadings;

Posted Image

Press OK. Your toolbar has now been created and you can access all your shortcuts from one place, with less clutter.

Hope you find this tip useful.

:mrgreen:

Edited by Wigan

I also use this method, but with a minor variation.  Very limited space is available on the taskbar, so I dragged the new toolbar to the right edge of the screen to make it a "deskbar".  I resized the bar's width to accomodate the length of the shortcut names, then enabled Auto-Hide.  Moving the mouse to the extreme right causes the list to spring up.