Sign in to follow this  
add=2distract

OverClocking an AMD x2 7550

An AMD Athlon (Phemon) x2 7550 (from what I've read) can handle up to 75c even though the MoBo probably can't? I've over clocked it from its factory settings of 2500MHz @ 45c to 2901MHz @ 50c idle, under load is around 54c+.

These are different chips than other dual core Athlon's considering that they have the same build spects as a Phenom 9000 series just with two disabled cores, they also run a lot hotter than Athlon as well!!! I'm running on air w/ 2x180mm, 2x80mm, and 2 factory fans that come w/ the factor cpu heat sink and gpu heat sink. Everything else runs cool, the sapphire HD3870 @ 32c, the MoBo @ 35c, and the HD @ 30c. I would like to get the processor up a little over 3GHz but don't know about the heat issue. Not without better cooling ie:(liquid).

Any Thoughts? :unsure:

Edited by add=2distract

phenom=slow

OMG man let it rest, do you not have a life outside of bothering other people. You came all the way to my post that I made just to get away from you to say one last / stupid comment. Let it go. For your sake I hope that you are a little kid like someone posted earlier about you.

By the way great comment "AMD RULES" makes fun of AMD and uses Intel ! ! !

Edited by add=2distract

My 5600 running full stress puts the cores at 62C and 56C according to speedfan.

My bios has it at 58C after a full stress reboot.

I have a pretty good 500mhz overclock on this guy though, and I am using the stock cooler.

You are def well within your limits heat wise.

Take it up 100mhz, see if it's stable, and under 62-63C and you are set.

and AMD-rules, if you don't have any advice to give, don't say anything at all.

baiting, and debating is for the political discussion thread. take your :filtered: there please.

Edited by porksandwich9113

and AMD-rules, if you don't have any advice to give, don't say anything at all.

baiting, and debating is for the political discussion thread. take your :filtered: there please.

That pretty much sums it up.

As far as heat on the cpu goes if it helps any I just got the same cpu and the stock heatsink is a piece of junk. No overclocking and it was running at 40°C at idle and into the low 50's under load. Put an AC Freezer 64 Pro on it and the temps fell to the low 30's at idle and top out around 40-42° under load. Had a good look at the stock heatsink with a straight edge, and could clearly see that the base of the heatsink was concave, small wonder in my case when the only contact from the heatsink is around the edges of the heat spreader on the cpu. If you are using the stock heatsink and it is anything like mine, do yourself a big favor and get an aftermarket cooler of some kind before trying to take it any further.

And while I'm here going to move this over to the Overclocking forum.

My 5600 running full stress puts the cores at 62C and 56C according to speedfan.

My bios has it at 58C after a full stress reboot.

I have a pretty good 500mhz overclock on this guy though, and I am using the stock cooler.

You are def well within your limits heat wise.

Take it up 100mhz, see if it's stable, and under 62-63C and you are set.

I agree with porksandwich here, I think your temps look o.k. to me anything over 65-70c would worry me.

:geezer:

and amdrules...... :mrsgreen:

edit: stormy13 summed it up about the heatsink.....

Edited by caintry_boy

There's a way to unlock the extra two cores on the X2 7750, provided you have the right motherboard. It's not really relevant to this thread, but I figgered I'd point it out.

Also, as long as it doesn't get too much past 60c, I wouldn't even give heat a second thought.

Edited by brandon

Ok, I raised the Voltage Core +50mu (V core 1.39) through the jumper free settings in the bios and the multiplier is at x12.5 along with the bus at 234. Raising the Core voltage +50mu didn't help, it's still not stable over 234 bus speed. I could raise the V core +100mu. Or maybe I should lower the multiplier and up the bus speed?

The fact is that from similar specs on the '7550 2900MHz or 3000MHz is probably all it's gonna push.?. This processor does run differently than other AMD x2 dual cores at the same frequency (better in some cases because of the extra 2000Kb L3 Catch), and I am fairly happy with the speed this thing delivers. It's not a Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHz factory that's for sure, but still great for a budget processor!

Anyway, anymore input would be greatly appreciated. . . :tup: Again, thank you for your help so far.

Edited by add=2distract

Ok, I raised the Voltage Core +50mu (V core 1.39) through the jumper free settings in the bios and the multiplier is at x12.5 along with the bus at 234. Raising the Core voltage +50mu didn't help, it's still not stable over 234 bus speed. I could raise the V core +100mu. Or maybe I should lower the multiplier and up the bus speed?

The fact is that from similar specs on the '7550 2900MHz or 3000MHz is probably all it's gonna push.?. This processor does run differently than other AMD x2 dual cores at the same frequency (better in some cases because of the extra 2000Kb L3 Catch), and I am fairly happy with the speed this thing delivers. It's not a Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHz factory that's for sure, but still great for a budget processor!

Anyway, anymore input would be greatly appreciated. . . :tup: Again, thank you for your help so far.

Yes! Try dropping the multi to like, say, 10 and up the vcore to 1.4-1.45 and bump the FSB.....;)

Thanks C_B. I tried lowering the multiplier to x10 and raised the bus to 300 along with the V core to +100Mu but still no luck. With a better heatsink like the "Arctic" in the two previous posts or what I will get eventually, water cooling for this rig I could maybe get more out of this AMD x2 7550. I'm not sure what else to do, nothing past 2901MHz will boot?

I really don't have any complaints though. Gaming is great with this cheap rig. GTA IV plays at 1920x1080 on the highest settings except for rendering which is at medium. Fallout 3 is at ultra high across the board! (In part from the sapphire HD3870 GPU which is under estimated by most people.)

I might need to hold out @ 2900MHz until I can upgrade the cooling but if there are any other considerations then I will give them a try. . . IE: like memory O.C pc2 6400 @ 800MHz 4.GB I've never Over Clocked the memory before, not on an AMD Processor But I think that I've got all I can out of the processor for now so why not give the memory a shot? ? . . . If nothing else I'd like to thank everyone for their help, normally I'm on the other end of the spectrum, giving advice not getting it. :sparkle::tup::sparkle:

Well, I have no idea if AM3 is different from AM2, but when I raise my FSB it overclocks my ram and CPU at the same time.

My ram is currently running at 950Mhz or so.

AM3 might be different? I don't have time to research it at this moment.

Also, did you just throw your FSB right at 300? Or did you try and work it up? Like see if it boots at 290X10?

Try different combos of Multi and FSB to get it at your current clock speed, THEN raise the FSB.

Mine is currently 302 FSB 11 Multi.

I have no idea if this is even in play on newer motherboards, but on my board I had to drop the hyper-transport to X3, because it gets unstable anywhere around 1100mhz for me. So if that is in play, try dropping that guy, because it sounds like your hitting pretty much the same HT wall as I was at 400mhz.

I have no idea if this is even in play on newer motherboards, but on my board I had to drop the hyper-transport to X3, because it gets unstable anywhere around 1100mhz for me. So if that is in play, try dropping that guy, because it sounds like your hitting pretty much the same HT wall as I was at 400mhz.

What he said /\.......often called HT or LTT

Edited by caintry_boy

Well, I have no idea if AM3 is different from AM2, but when I raise my FSB it overclocks my ram and CPU at the same time.

It is. Raise the FSB/HT/whatever you want to call it and the memory frequency goes up as well, the HT Link speed will also go up. Nice thing is he has the BE version so he can just raise the multiplier and take both the memory and the HT Link out of the equation,

Posted Image

Also FWIW I went into the bios and enabled the Q-Fan (Asus' name for PWM), it raised the idle temps by about 3°C, with the fan running anywhere from 600-800 rpm slower than full speed. Also made it much quieter when at idle, and had no affect on load temps as the fan will go to full speed as needed.

Almost forgot,

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=22038474

Threw it together last week for a shade over $600 CDN, including $120.00 for a Sonata III to hold it all. The video card is a 4830, test just shows it as a 4800 series. Must say it is a very nice improvement over the x2 3800+ with a 1950 Pro I had previously.