Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheKastOne

Computer Advice/Referral

Hi guys, my brother wants to pick up a laptop, I am not too savvy in this area, he is a basic computer user who mainly uses word, powerpoint,media player and mozilla firefox. Most laptops can do this but I want him to get one with decent performance that will last him more than a year or so due to its light usage. Any ideas of what laptop is coming up in the tech world as one of the better, he has a 1000 dollar budget, but I want to help him use around 5 to 6 hundred instead, any links to helpful reviews on new laptops would help. Thanks.

I wouldn't like to suggest a specific laptop, but they are all on about the same level for the most part, but what I will do is expand your comment about lasting them, because laptops are very limited in the upgrade section, by definition this means they will never last as long as a desktop, my best advice is to get the best processor that they can afford, forget about ram, forget about hard drive space, these can be upgraded\expanded so long as the board can take it, and by the nature of a laptop if you need serious storage you will be needing to get an external drive anyway, so no point wasting money on a laptop for the sake of the hard drive.

Also if it has it's own video card then all the better, it will stop the system taking any of the ram for it, now by concentrating on the best processor by default usually means it has a lot of this built in, you may well find it comes with 2gig of ram or better, but so long as you remember ram can be upgraded you wont fall into the trap of letting that sway your judgement, but of course when you have your sites set on a specific model, then research what can be done to it, basically check what amount of ram it can take, then you know what can be done if needed in the future, and as far as the OS goes, you want to look at 64bit if you may be going to 4gig of ram or better, 32bit can't truly use 4gig due to it's 32bit limitations, apart from that I imagine all decent systems will have the usual Wi-Fi and bluetooth etc built in, so IMHO get the best processor you can afford and remember about checking out the ram and you should be as good as it can get without going crazy with money, hope that helps a bit anyway.

NP glad it helped, I still suggest reporting back here when you have a shortlist so that the guy's who know laptops better than I can advise on specific areas if needed, but another quick point, if your going to upgrade the ram, be aware it may invalidate the warranty, it depends on the makers, a mate has a system that is desperate for more ram, but the makers put a security sticker on the case so any attempt to access the inside will damage the sticker and prove the warranty is void should it ever be returned to them, so if this is the case then leave such upgrades until the warranty is expired, but a new system with the best you can afford should come with enough ram to work fine for the average user, it's only if you do things like video editing that the ram comes in handy, so view ram upgrades as a job for a year or so's time. ;)