Sign in to follow this  
Gamekid

Questions

1) Are there any general signs that windows xp will have to be reinstalled? Is there anything to look for? My windows xp installation is ok, except for the fact that when I boot to windows, it stays at welcome for a few seconds and loading up the desktop takes longer then it might on other machines. At some point last year, my onboard NIC went out and I have used a USB to eithernet adapter to connect to the internet.

2) Is there a way to save bookmarked websites in internet explorer 7?

That I don't know. I think Foxmarks is the easiest way to preserve your bookmarks. Just set it and forget it.

For Firefox the quickest and easiest way to backup your bookmarks (and your profile for that matter),

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=135695

To save your Favorites from IE go to,

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name (for XP)

C:\Users\Your Name (for Vista)

and make a backup of the Favorites folder.

They can make it a little more automated, but no real need for a third party app to back them up.

For Firefox the quickest and easiest way to backup your bookmarks (and your profile for that matter),

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=135695

To save your Favorites from IE go to,

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name (for XP)

C:\Users\Your Name (for Vista)

and make a backup of the Favorites folder.

They can make it a little more automated, but no real need for a third party app to back them up.

So if I made a backup of the favorites folder, then I reformatted. All I would need to do would be to restore the favorites folder and my bookmarks would be listed under favorites?

Yes. About the only thing you won't have is any saved passwords and user names for sites you sign in at.

And if you make a backup copy of the Firefox folder and put it back on a clean install you will have all your bookmarks, and most if not all of your extensions (say this because there is the odd extension that gets placed in the actual Firefox folder and not in the one under your user name). To give you an idea I have been using the same Firefox profile for at least three years now, and it has been used on Vista 32 bit and 64 bit (around 4-5 installs between them), and on XP (2 or 3 installs)

Yes. About the only thing you won't have is any saved passwords and user names for sites you sign in at.

And if you make a backup copy of the Firefox folder and put it back on a clean install you will have all your bookmarks, and most if not all of your extensions (say this because there is the odd extension that gets placed in the actual Firefox folder and not in the one under your user name). To give you an idea I have been using the same Firefox profile for at least three years now, and it has been used on Vista 32 bit and 64 bit (around 4-5 installs between them), and on XP (2 or 3 installs)

Is there an answer to my first question or is just when you feel that you need to?

Edited by Gamekid

If you reinstall XP or do a clean install then your HD will boot much faster with less clutter on it but your reasons for thinking that you need to reinstall just aren't that pressing? It really is just a matter of how much the few second response time bothers you in bot up and you willingness to backup most of you data. . .

You can try doing a diagnostic start up to see how much improvement you will gain with a clean install.

run = msconfig /select startup deselect all/ select services/ check the tab "hide all Microsoft services"/ deselect all services/ then reboot. . .

This will give you an idea of how well the system will run after a clean install.

Edited by add=2distract

If you reinstall XP or do a clean install then your HD will boot much faster with less clutter on it but your reasons for thinking that you need to reinstall just aren't that pressing? It really is just a matter of how much the few second response time bothers you in bot up and you willingness to backup most of you data. . .

You can try doing a diagnostic start up to see how much improvement you will gain with a clean install.

run = msconfig /select startup deselect all/ select services/ check the tab "hide all Microsoft services"/ deselect all services/ then reboot. . .

This will give you an idea of how well the system will run after a clean install.

The last time that I reinstalled XP was in 2007, not that long ago. However when I did the reinstall, I didn't add a firewall or virus scanner until later which was not a good idea with a high speed internet connection and then around december of 2007, my onboard NIC went out and I ended up adding a USB to ethernet adapter because if my eithernet cable was directly attached to my NIC, windows would not even recognize it. Nowadays, when I boot up to xp, my computer stays at the welcome screen longer then it should. I do backup my data every Sunday to an external hard drive. If I can't replace it off of a disc or off of the web, I back it up. Sometimes installations can go bad in a few years time. What do you mean by your question?

Edited by Gamekid

The last time that I reinstalled XP was in 2007, not that long ago. However when I did the reinstall, I didn't add a firewall or virus scanner until later which was not a good idea with a high speed internet connection and then around december of 2007, my onboard NIC went out and I ended up adding a USB to ethernet adapter because if my eithernet cable was directly attached to my NIC, windows would not even recognize it. Nowadays, when I boot up to xp, my computer stays at the welcome screen longer then it should. I do backup my data every Sunday to an external hard drive. If I can't replace it off of a disc or off of the web, I back it up. Sometimes installations can go bad in a few years time. What do you mean by your question?

Nothing, if you have all of your data backed up then go for it. Your original comment said that during boot up the OS stayed at the welcome screen an additional few seconds. Now, having had more information at hand it seems like a good idea. During the boot screen I bet that the animated time line (GUI) sticks occasionally also cutting out the desired smooth boot up. . . That does happen over time. I should have asked how long ago you installed the OS and if you had already backed up your system. :blink:

P.S it's been over a week since the last post so you've probably already finished w/ the clean install?

Nothing, if you have all of your data backed up then go for it. Your original comment said that during boot up the OS stayed at the welcome screen an additional few seconds. Now, having had more information at hand it seems like a good idea. During the boot screen I bet that the animated time line (GUI) sticks occasionally also cutting out the desired smooth boot up. . . That does happen over time. I should have asked how long ago you installed the OS and if you had already backed up your system. :blink:

P.S it's been over a week since the last post so you've probably already finished w/ the clean install?

I last installed xp in 2007. I haven't done a reinstall yet. I'm thinking that my installation is starting to show it's age, but unless it gets messed up left and right, I don't plan to reinstall.

Is there a way to save bookmarked websites in internet explorer 7?

Click File, click Import and Export, click Next.  Select Export Favorites, click Next, and follow the prompts.  You can save to a hard disk, floppy, UFD, even a CD- or DVD-RW formatted UDF (for packet writing).

Restoring bookmarks is done in the same fashion, except that you select Import Favorites.

Click File, click Import and Export, click Next.  Select Export Favorites, click Next, and follow the prompts.  You can save to a hard disk, floppy, UFD, even a CD- or DVD-RW formatted UDF (for packet writing).

Restoring bookmarks is done in the same fashion, except that you select Import Favorites.

Thanks for the info.