Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strongnoah

Vista on an XP Computer!"

Hello, I have a Windows XP MCE 2005 with 1GB of RAM and a 80GB HDD with a 3.20 GHZ Intel Celeron Processor. It's a Compaq Presario from 2006.

Last Month I installed Windows Vista Home Premium and it installed fine but it was like when it was running it was so slow!!" :angry: Now I always keep my PC Clean of course but like when I even installed Service Pack 1 it was still slow!" :angry: I finally reinstalled my Original Operating System XP and now it's fine.

But I'm thinking even if it was Vista Home Basic it still would have been slow."

You know I'm thinking now that Vista needs more than 1GB of Ram to to Move well." If you install Vista with only 512 MB it will almost be DEAD with any Version with Vista."

Another thing is is that on My other Computer with Vista Home Premium, 2GB Memory 120 GB and a 1.60GHZ CPU Intel, what is the best number to give the Memory Paging File or Should I just leave it alone? :unsure:

You know what's funny when I first got an XP Computer it only had 256 MB of RAM, but it always ran fine and programs opened normally. Then once on it I got a Virtual Memory Message like it was out of memory or something. That was strange. I evenutally Uprgraded to 768 MB though."

What if your Computer crashed and you didn't have a Recovery disc and you took it to a repair shop how would they reinstall everything without the Preinstalled Disc Correct Drivers? :unsure:

Comments welcome,

-Noah

Check this site for tips on tweaking vista to perform faster: www.petri.co.il

With your specs I would imagine that windows XP would run much better on that particular hardware. I always give my paging file 4,096MB of space.

At a repair shop it is your responsibility to provide the recovery media. If you do not have a disc they will typically sell you a retail copy of Windows. Drivers for most PCs are available through the computer manufacturer's website, any good tech will be able to track them down.

At a repair shop it is your responsibility to provide the recovery media. If you do not have a disc they will typically sell you a retail copy of Windows.

If one of my customers doesn't have their recovery media and a format/reinstall is required, I'll install Windows using my software and their product key. The only time they'll have to buy a Windows CD is if their computer does not have a genuine Windows Product Key sticker on the computer.

1024mb of memory is woefully inadequate for Windows Vista. If you want to run Vista on that computer, double the memory at the very least.

If, however, I had a choice between XP or Vista on my computer it would without a doubt be Windows XP. -kd5-

At the Staples I worked at the management would always make us sell products whenever there was an ability to do so. It depends on how nice the person working the shop is. Kd5, you are what is called a nice guy. However, major retail in this country is what we call greedy.

That true that the large chain stores do want the most profit that they can get. There are a lot of small business that do the exact same thing that Kd5 would do out there.

What I can't figure out is why would someone take their pc to a geek when they should have a professional fixing it?