Sign in to follow this  
matta

Tech vs. Tech what to charge

I need some good personal opinions here for this topic. Because I know in everyday life it's tech vs tech. This tech can do this but so can he but cheaper. So it's like what does everyone basically charge? Hourly or just a flat fee? I'm always bouncing around with prices and it's so hard to decide because I want to be well known, but I don't want to be known for charging $150/hour or anything like that. So my first question is what do you guys charge and any complaints or anything like that.

Second is I was browsing craigslist and I noticed this post:

It is likely that the $30 tech you refer to is only but yourself. So you can’t hide in your software you steal off the internet and use it for commercial purposes for your own personal profit. Isn’t that illegal? Let’s take a look at the Trend Micro license for Hijack This, a popular utility you undoubtedly have on your USB Stick.

“LICENSE. Upon Your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Trend Micro hereby grants You a nonexclusive, nontransferable, non-sublicensable, royalty-free, worldwide license, to download, install the Software, for Your own use only.”

“for Your own use only” ….. And I’m sure that most of the other utilities you use have the same licensing restrictions.

I’m not bashing, I’m pointing out why some unethical techs can charge $30/hour while other techs have felt it necessary to sign commercial use agreements with software vendors, have paid the usage fees, had to charge higher rates, and profited by following the rules.

Maybe when you stop moaning and complaining about my prices and learn that the world doesn't spin by cheating and stealing, then you may see that the ethics of your $30 technician is no different than that crap you spew out of your mouth.

So my other question is this....when I get like a tech call about my computer is running slow, pop-ups, unknown software installed. So I use the basic software if they have nothing:

Spybot Search and Destroy

Hijack

Spyblaster

Malwarebytes

Adaware

AVG Free Edition

So from what the guy says I'm illegally profiting from free software that I shouldn't, but why would it matter when you consider it this way. I get a call from John. I go to John's house and download the software I would on his computer. Update everything, run the scans, shamwow(lol sorry). I look at it yeah I am using free software, but I'm getting paid to come over and do it all for them since they can't and show them how to personally use it. Your personal opinions please.

Also I knew a buddy that worked at Best Buy Geek Squad and they use Spybot Search and Destroy.

Matta

whenever i repair a computer

i usually like doing it for nothing

ill use the free software you mention

the only time i will charge is when i have to reformat

and that means im using my windows cd and product key

and ill charge if i have change any hardware

like drives fans and power supply

i am a bit to generous at times

i use my cyberlink software codec for the dvds they may have

and at times im lenient with my license with norton corporate antivirus

windows i learned on my own

having programs like norton corporate edition and cyberlink solutions

are a blessing to me and how i help people.

at times they offer to pay which is nice

for me its not a living but a great past time hobby

Edited by mme

You could always write up a service agreement for them to sign. It could explain that the charge is for the service (your time/experience), not the tools used on their machine for personal use.

You could always write up a service agreement for them to sign. It could explain that the charge is for the service (your time/experience), not the tools used on their machine for personal use.

Very true

Matta

I agree in that a tech isn't profiting off the software in as much as the skills required to use that software. anybody can download and use the software, but many folks don't want to deal with using it so they will gladly pay someone to do it for them. I certainly could understand using programs/software illegally if the tech worked for a corporation and was using spybot to clean 100's of pc's a day.

I agree in that a tech isn't profiting off the software in as much as the skills required to use that software. anybody can download and use the software, but many folks don't want to deal with using it so they will gladly pay someone to do it for them. I certainly could understand using programs/software illegally if the tech worked for a corporation and was using spybot to clean 100's of pc's a day.

Agree. See I'm not running a official business to say. It's like I'm like that kid next door wanting to mowe your lawn for some money. Same with computers. I have a friend though at Best Buy and they use Spybot Search and Destroy. So I wonder how that works?

Best buy is not a reputable company, they over charge and it's not the first time they got caught red handed illegally using software. Wasn't that long ago that best buy got sued for stealing ( Using same license multiple times illegally ) winterals disk commander software

Best buy is not a reputable company, they over charge and it's not the first time they got caught red handed illegally using software. Wasn't that long ago that best buy got sued for stealing ( Using same license multiple times illegally ) winterals disk commander software

Wasnt long ago when Best Buy got sued for telling a lady they would wipe out her old hard drive when they installed her new. Well she lived in California, but some how a teenager in Arizona ended up with her hard drive. He went to Best Buy as well. rofl

Edited by matta