Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

Get Rid Of Wmp

In sure theres a way and someone with a link may be along soon hopefully ;) but do what i do. Just dont use it and dont allow it access to the net if your firewall asks. I use RealJukebox and setup proper its not intrusive as some may say (eh V???.....lol) and using the pro version as i do well............its just great. I make music on my pc and along with Steinberg Wavelab 4.0 and Soundforge 6.0, i just wouldnt be without it.

Keith

Thanks Doofus,I got a couple players now. One's apple and a flash player. I didn't even think to make my zone alarm stop it from accessing the web. Googled some things on removal,looks like got WMP intergrated so deep ya can't remove it without breaking exploder. One link I read said to remove explorer to remove WMP. LOL :mrgreen:

Here you go

Uninstall unwanted components.

It seems that some components in Windows XP can't be uninstalled. Well... they can. Use this trick to uninstall MSN Messenger, Media Player, MSN Explorer and Microsoft Games. First, make a copy of sysoc.inf (found on the hard disk at \winnt\inf\sysoc.inf) before proceeding so that you can restore the initial configuration if necessary. Give the copy a different name, such as sysoc2.inf. Open the Sysoc.inf file. Each line of text in the file represents a component that can be displayed in the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog. Delete the word HIDE for any component that you want to see in the dialog (do not erase the commas). Save the Sysoc.inf file, then close it, and reboot your computer. The Add/Remove Windows Components dialog will now display the items you want.

The above was taken from a link someplace. Hope its of some help. :)

Btw make sure you create a restore point (if its enabled on yours) before attempting anything.

Keith

Not sure about XP, but in 98SE you can go to Start-Run-Regedit-HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Media Player and delete it. Of course you know the drill about backing up first.

B)

I never updated it,I think it's ver.8 or whatever is the default, I don't have that file for ver.9. In 98 you can just go to add/remove...it's not tied in like it is in xp. Ol' Bill wanted to make sure youre gonna keep it

Edited by Joe C

Another path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/microsoft/windows/current version/uninstall. All programs are listed there.

B)