Sign in to follow this  
chengrob

The Demise of AOL

I was an AOL user for a long time. Their death was for one simple reason. They missed the broadband transition. They had to move their users from dial up to broadband. I suspect the bean counters wouldn't let them because it would be a hit to their short term profit and loss. They needed to weigh their short term profits against their long term survival.

They hung around longer than most would have thought because they pioneered instant message. If they had not done that, they would have gone in the tubes a lot earlier. IM became one of the major reasons why people used AOL, and it was particularly popular with young people.

Good Read.

http://www.businessinsider.com/aol-never-s...be-yahoo-2009-3

I am kind of surprised to hear you were an AOL user. :blink:

They made a lot of mistakes over the past ten years. To be honest I won't miss them, because I never used them.

Always amaze me when I would witness their multiple window popup ridden software running on someones computer.

The main reason I was an AOL user was momentum. I joined AOL as a test way back in probably 1993. The alternative at the time was CompuServe which I used at the same time but AOL had a lot more content. They had magazines like Time and BusinessWeek on line. It was cool.

Then unlike CompuServe, they figured out the internet thing, so there was no need to leave. Also, when I moved to Ireland in 1996, they had AOL in Ireland.

Then I got broadband in 1999, and I also kept AOL. The main reason was that when I was traveling, I could log onto AOL and get on the internet. Plus, they invented IM and I used it for a couple of years, just as a pass time.

But then, the hotels all started getting broadband, and I canceled AOL, probably in 2004. I remember how hard they made it to cancel. You were on the verge of tears begging them to let you cancel.

So I would say I have been AOL free for 5 years.

Wasn't AOL intrusive, and forced it's settings on it's users? It had virus like tendencies in the way it controlled the way anybody could use it....true? I'm sure in the infancy of the net things may have been much different. Here's some history on instant messaging

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_messaging