Sign in to follow this  
Corpsecrank

Defragment Your Page File

You can visit this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897426.aspx

And download PageDefrag v2.32 by Mark Russinovich

Run the program and tell it to defrag on next boot. Restart the machine and before windows loads you will get a blue screen with the defrag message. At this point you can simply hit Esc to stop it or let it do it's thing and defrag the PF.

Defraging the PF does a couple of things. For instance today when I went to defrag the harddrives I noticed that the PF (That green block of unmovable files when you defrag a drive) was split up into 2 blocks instead of one neat tidy block. This can slow performance on less powerful systems. So I ran PageDefrag and when I went back to defrag the drive it was one nice solid green block at the end of the files :)

But as with defragging the drives your optimizing the performance. Why not hit that green spot you always wondered about too?

Hi,

I use Pagedefrag for along time now, but I ask myself, don't get the users an update of that program.?

When I defrag mine internal hd., than I defrag also the pagefile of my os xp.

When I defrag the hd., must I than also defrag the pagefile or is this not necessary.?

When I defrag the hd., must I than also defrag the pagefile or is this not necessary.?

Defragmenting the hard drive defragments the file structure, but does not defragment the pagefile/registry unless it has a separate function for doing that, most do not. If you want to ensure that the pagefile and registry also gets defragmented, then PageDefrag is a good application for doing just that. On a 2k or XP machine, I always install O&O Free Edition and PageDefrag so that everything gets defragmented.

Whats a defrag??

You're in the wrong forum, Linux is down a couple... ;) -kd5-

You can visit this link:

Run the program and tell it to defrag on next boot. Restart the machine and before windows loads you will get a blue screen with the defrag message. At this point you can simply hit Esc to stop it or let it do it's thing and defrag the PF.

Defraging the PF does a couple of things. For instance today when I went to defrag the harddrives I noticed that the PF (That green block of unmovable files when you defrag a drive) was split up into 2 blocks instead of one neat tidy block. This can slow performance on less powerful systems. So I ran PageDefrag and when I went back to defrag the drive it was one nice solid green block at the end of the files :)

But as with defragging the drives your optimizing the performance. Why not hit that green spot you always wondered about too?

Thanks Corpsecrank! I decided to download it. It is somethng many of us may not take this into consideration. MyPc runs faster now. Thanks for the Reminder Tip! Tweak :tup:

and Defrag everything else. My Pc runs faster now.

Defragmenting the hard drive defragments the file structure, but does not defragment the pagefile/registry unless it has a separate function for doing that, most do not. If you want to ensure that the pagefile and registry also gets defragmented, then PageDefrag is a good application for doing just that. On a 2k or XP machine, I always install O&O Free Edition and PageDefrag so that everything gets defragmented.

Thank you so much, KD5.

Now I know it.

After reading your message, it is not waste time when I defrag the pagefile and after this, the hd. structure.

I defrag mine hd. many times, I must do that, because I surf many times over the World Wide Web; just like other persons, download files\programs and install it, when you install that, than the codes of the files\programs: I hope that is correct what I tell, will be into my Windows registry, the pagefile looking to the registry from Windows, when the registry is changed, than the pagefile must do lot of work for get data from the registry.

In some cases, the Windowsregistry are very changed and the pagefile don't get information from that.

The pagefile is the virtual memory, that is a part of the Windows structure.

You can visit this link:

I also every so often like to clear the pagefile (delete it off of the hard drive) and then make a new one. This ensures that the new pagefile is a completely unfragmented contiguous block on your HDD. You must restart after clearing the pagefile, then make a new one of optimal size.

thanks for the tip!

1-i defrag. and all process took 3-5 sec. is it normal?

2-i run xp pro NTFS File System. is the program run on this one?

3-when defrag pagefile, does it defrag. all the other syste32\config parts that are present in the program window (the list below c:\papefile.sys) as well?

4-is it recommended to defrag. all the HD before or after using PageDefrag v2.32?

Edited by Amir

thanks for the tip!

1-i defrag. and all process took 3-5 sec. is it normal?

2-i run xp pro NTFS File System. is the program run on this one?

3-when defrag pagefile, does it defrag. all the other syste32\config parts that are present in the program window (the list below c:\papefile.sys) as well?

4-is it recommended to defrag. all the HD before or after using PageDefrag v2.32?

I would recommend defragging the pagefile and hard drive both in either order. You can defrag the files as normal then run the pagedefrag or you can run page defrag first and then run a normal defrag.

Page defrag only defrags the pagefile and such while a standard defrag is for all your files such as windows and installed programs ect.

Remember that page defrag will also defrag your system registry which is a real good thing. It does not defrag normal files though so you must also run a standard defrag with it to completely defrag the system.

Also about compatability. This does work for XP and probably many other versions of windows in both 32bit and 64bit. I have only ever run this on XP Pro 32bit though so I cannot verify that it works on other versions for sure. If you run vista the only thing you can do is try it and see.

Edited by Corpsecrank

I believe the full version of Diskeeper Pro does this, or at least gives the option to do so. IIRC, that option won't do anything until you reboot. Then it will run automatically before Windows starts, during the boot process. It should defrag the MFT and the pagefile. HDD defrag can be done manually at any time, but Diskeeper sets itself to auto defrag. Can be changed at any time though.

How do you do that than?

XP - http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks5.htm

Vista - http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/tweakguide/page_6.htm

Just turn it off, reboot and then re-create it.

And is it usefull?

Guaranteed to defrag the pagefile, with no 3rd party application required. That and if the initial size of the pagefile is large enough, then it should never fragment in the first place.

XP - http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks5.htm

Vista - http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/tweakguide/page_6.htm

Just turn it off, reboot and then re-create it.

Guaranteed to defrag the pagefile, with no 3rd party application required. That and if the initial size of the pagefile is large enough, then it should never fragment in the first place.

While manually setting the page file initially defrags it because it is empty it will still fragment during use. But as I also mentioned running page defrag does more than just defrag the pagefile it also defrags the registry which can make a lot of difference depending on the system and how large your registry has gotten.

I always recommend setting the pagefile manually to start because it helps lock it in place. After that defragging is recommended as well because even setting it manually can leave it in more than one place on the drive at times. Rare as it may be the last couple of times I set a pagefile manually it did not set it up as a single block on the drive. When you would analyze the drive in the disk defragmenter it would display it in 2 seperate areas on the drive. Page defrag eliminated that by moving both segments together.

If you can get your hands on an old copy of norton speed disk that also does a really great job at organizing files by priority on the drive for optimal access. You wouldn't need this on an average modern system or on something with a fast drive such as a raptor. However on machines you have many files that are accessed daily for projects this can really help a lot.

Edited by Corpsecrank

I can't recommend this utility. It looked like a good idea, so yesterday I installed it and ran once. After a few hours my computer BSOD'ed, and then BSOD'ed continuously after a few minutes. IE7 started erroring and closing. Games (civ IV Beyond The Sword) caused BSOD.

After turning off auto-restart, I find the error codes:

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

bad_pool_caller

Both of these errors involve many different problems, including drivers and hardware, but usually are memory related. I've removed the page file, recreated it, moved it to another drive. The same problems persist. I'll try a system restore, and if that doesn't work restore my imaged partition.

The only thing that changed on my system was installing PageDefrag. It has taken a very stable system and made it very unstable.

USER BEWARE!

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

bad_pool_caller

Both of these errors involve many different problems, including drivers and hardware, but usually are memory related

Bad_pool_caller is generally due to programming errors, or occasionally file system faults.  Run Chkdsk /R to perform a thorough disk check.  When the error occurs, is any file, driver, or service name shown on the BSOD?

Although nothing else has changed that you're aware of, consider that a Windows or antivirus update may have occurred without notice, either of which might be causing the page_fault_in_nonpaged_area errors.  Again, any additional information in the error message may be significant.

You can visit this link:

Sounds like a great utility.... Any idea where I find a similar utility for VISTA Ultimate? I download this one but it appears to only work for XP and Win2K.

No idea I do not use Vista. I can however dig around and see if there is a utility for Vista that does this. If I find it I will post it in the Vista tips section.

Add:

I have a question about pagedefrag: When I did defrag my hd. and defrag the pagefile, then after defrag from pagefile, I got the message: Before pagedefrag: 3 fragmented files, after pagedefrag, 1 fragmented file(s) .

That's weird, because I had defragged my hd., I suppose that when you defragg the hd. and than the pagefile, that I got the message, 0 fragged files after pagedefrag.

Edited by Man Of The Future

I believe the full version of Diskeeper Pro does this, or at least gives the option to do so. IIRC, that option won't do anything until you reboot. Then it will run automatically before Windows starts, during the boot process. It should defrag the MFT and the pagefile. HDD defrag can be done manually at any time, but Diskeeper sets itself to auto defrag. Can be changed at any time though.

The full version of Diskeeper will defragment the paging file and MFT. You will need to do a boot time defrag in Diskeeper to do this. However, I would not recommend doing this unless you are absolutely sure that these files are in more that a couple fragments. I would recommend downloading the free trial version at www.diskeeper.com, installing the software and select Analyze. Once you have performed the analysis, click on the Job Report tab and Diskeeper will provide you with information on how fragmented your paging and MFT files are.

The trial version is fully functional for 30 days and is not crippled in any way.