Sign in to follow this  
dennisisok

Grrr, Annoying Problem

And yet, linking to images on someone else's server is OK here. Often it is not just a copyright violation, but theft of bandwidth......

I know, OT, but at the mention of copyright violations, I couldn't help myself.

Edited by Zman

Guest pcafarella

I am having the same problem with browser crapping out after 5-10 minutes. Nothing helps but to re-boot the machine. Did anyone figure out what the deal was with this. I have read all the posts and tried everything suggested.

Still have to re-boot the computer every 5-10 minutes to use the browser. Everything else works great. Seems to have started after a uninstalled some programs I wasn't using anymore.

Driving me nuts.

Have either of you tried running system file checker? I didn't see it mentioned, sorry if it was.

Go to run on the start menu and type

sfc /scannow

You will need your Windows disk unless you have all the setup cab files on the HDD.

another good suggestion, but unfortunitly, i think i may have to just shoot my computer...

i think i'll dig a big pit in my basement, drop it down in there, and scare it by constantly saying: "It puts the dust in its case"

then it will work...

Guest davelrrp

Had the same problem a few months ago. The only way that I found to solve it was to do a reinstall of the OS. I know that's apain, but it was really quicker than screwing around tryin to fix windows, even MS can't do that. Try WinMX for peer to peer. Also look at Peer Guardian to go with it. Look at SpyBot Search And Destroy along with Adaware, it will find more crap.

Guest davelrrp

I don't know of a way to do a clean install with an upgrade disk. I would just reccomend that you repeat the upgrade installation. Your problem, if it is similar to the one I had, is corrupted files in IE. A reinstall from your disk would replace those files and solve the problem. Then you would have to update the OS again. This is easier than trying to find the corrupted files and trying to replace them.

Guest johngalt

Wait, corrupted files...

have you checked to see what browser Help objects are being loaded by IE? if it works in Safe mode but not as a regular load, then something is being loaded that prevents the operation of IE after a certain time limit.

Do a Google search for BHO Cop - run it and see what BHOs are installed - if you see anything that is off it's kilter, as in has strange characters (which can easily indicate a corrupted BHO) then disable it. Also, if you see things that you are not sure about check them out - This may be the final solution to get everything to work, since (obviously) your IP is staying constant as well as everything else in regards to the networking - only IE itself is messing up, and if other browsers are doing it as well, I really think it has something to do with the BHOs.

Also, Dennis - what other browsers did you actually try?

BHO Cop is from PC Mag which needs a subscription.

The PC Magazine Utility Library is now available by subscription only. For just $19.97 (or $14.97 if you're a current subscriber to PC Magazine's print or digital edition), subscribers get full access for 12 months, including: great new files and updates throughout the year -- usually one per month -- access to all 130+ useful, smart utilities in the Library, and technical support.

Edited by bsadowski1

Guest johngalt

oops - BHO Daemon, then.

I have both, as I got COP (and Tray Minimizer and Tray Manager) prior to them going subscription based.

My apologies for the wrong one.

Guest CarlyS

You can do a clean install with an upgrade disc, but you have to have a Windows cd (ME in your case) to hand. Just boot from your cd and when it asks for the previous version you take out the xp home cd and put in your ME cd. From what I can tell, so long as you have ME or earlier (up to 95 or NT) you can use an upgrade cd, but I have yet to test this theory.

Good luck. :)

well, i dont have the ME disk, when i got the comp, it didnt come with one, would the "system restore" disk work, cuz i know that has win ME on it.

OR, would it be possible to install xp home again OVER what i already have?

Like, if i put the disk in now, and select install now from that little window that pops up. I really dont want to do a clean istall, but if i have too, ill go out aqnd buy another HDD and mave all my files i dont want to lose onto it, and FFR the other HD.

hmmm...

Guest davelrrp

Just put the XP upgrade disk in and install it like you did it the first time. It will install again and replace what has been corrupted. You will have to do all of the updates again, but that should not take much time. I know everyone is trying to help you, but why not do it the easy way?

I just want to hear all possible solutions before i act. It is an annoying problem, but its not like im losing business or anything.

davelrrp, your idea sounds the best so far, ill probably just do that. But first, ill make a list of all the programs and things i want to have if something goes wrong and i have to FFR.

Thanks y'all. :mrgreen:

(is a cookie a smily? :oreo: )

(and what is this thing? :choco: )

Man, what is my computers problem.....

i tried to re-install my OS, and it was going fine untill it stopped, it froze like a freaking pop-cicle.

The install was going fine untill it got to the point where i had to input some data, after i put in my comps name it froze.

I think ill just have to live with this problem...

boy oh boy ~ had to read through this a couple of times :rolleyes:

would you be terribly dissappointed if after doing all the "stuff" suggested to learn that the problem may very well be that you installed over ME??

if you have any thoughts about upping to Pro from Home - - pleez do yourself a favor and buy a full version rather than install over ME again.

Honest ;)

Guest Meryl_Streep

I have an issue where my cable connection will drop every 5 minutes, but then comes back after about 30 seconds. We've tried different cable modems, routers, computers, co-ax cables and operating systems.

The problem happens regardless of whether we're connected to the modem directly or through the router.

I've tried shutting down any and all unnecessary services, using static and dynamic IP addresses, uninstalling any spyware and checked for viruses.

One of the pc's will also connect without error with another ISP.

The 5 minutes between connection problems happens so regularly that you can set your watch to it. The strange thing is that it's a constant 5 minutes, rebooting any of the computers, modem or router does not reset it, it's always the same interval. So something outside is happening every 5 minutes to make this happen.

Is it possible that one of the neighbors has some sort of virus or other program that's flooding the net with packets every 5 minutes that will cause me to have connection problems?

I've called Cox and had them look at the modem while the problem is occuring and they always say everything looks ok.

I work for Orbitel Communications in arizona. I found that after a long investigation that if somone on the ISP within your node has the same IP you do (which is caused by someone setting their router/computer to static instead of dhcp) then you will have a connection for a few minutes. Boy this was an awful problem that we had, until I finally figured it out.

Donald

Edited by Taz