Sign in to follow this  
8210GUY

Spam Warning

TBH I was torn where to place this as it could of gone in 3 sections off the top of my head, so if the powers that be feel it's suited better elsewhere please move it to where you feel best.

I have just seen a new style Spam mail, and the angle they came from is a 1st for me and threw me initially, I was pretty sure it was spam, but due to it's approach I had to double check with my mate to be sure, long story short he drives across Europe for his job so relies on me to keep him up to date with his emails when he is away as on the road he has no access to them.

Here is the mail, I left the Addy in it as IMHO we only remove them so spam bots don't get them, but in these instances spam bot's are welcome to the details as far as I'm concerned, but again if you feel it's not suited do as you see fit, here is the mail:-

@verizon.net to recipients

Hello,

hey where have you been recently ? I did not get any mail from you for a long time. Anyway, I found a very quality online pharmacy. I ordered some meds and I got them in 3 days. I remember last time you were asking for a cheap and quality pharmacy.here it is :

I left the link out for obvious reasons, but I mention this incase people have not seen this approach (like myself) and may want to update they're Spam filters to block this type of message.

*edit

Main ID removed.

Edited by 8210GUY

Thanks for posting this topic. I agree that spam is getting down right dangerous and moving into the social networking arena. There is a trend that spam that is mostly filtered and ignored can lower your radar to the real threats out there. The USAJOBS and Monster phishing used a different angle too.

These are just two recent examples (Classmates and Bank of America) of what is out there in the wild and distributes malware.

http://garwarner.blogspot.com/2009/03/clas...ps-sucking.html

http://garwarner.blogspot.com/2009/02/anot...es-as-bank.html

The comment on using the email address to let the spambots pick it up is that it might just be a compromised users account or just a fake address. Also, did you look at the headers to see if that was the real sender? As for spam removal, I reccommend this forum now. They will analyse the spam messages, track the distribution points, and send takedown requests.

http://ksforum.inboxrevenge.com/ (registration is required to see all of the topics)

Have a Great Day,

Faith

Hi, Faith posted at inboxrevenge.com and mentioned this discussion going on.

I agree with Faith that the "from" address is extremely unlikely to belong to the spammer, and may belong to an innocent third party. If you do much spam reporting, you'll find your own address being used by spammers occasionally. I would edit it out.

Spammers go through all kinds of strategies to "hit the inbox." Spam filtering can only follow a step behind, and the fact that only a few messages get through actually increases the risk that recipients will be fooled. I use MailwasherPro to filter my own spam, so I see that I received numerous similar messages at one time with subjects like "The boss was talking about you" or "You passworded your file," making it easy to discount all of them.

Those of us who see all the spam are incredulous anyone could fall for a Nigerian spam, but for someone with a well-protected inbox, the first time one gets through they may have to think about it.

Even spams without obvious criminal content like phishing rely heavily on illegal activity. Pharma spams like you received are for sites selling counterfeit drugs filled by imaginary pharmacists at make believe addresses, and the domain registration has to be done with fake information, too. Since spam filters will pick up the domain name quickly, they have to get thousands of domain registrations, and they usually are going to pay for them with someone else's money and host them on hijacked servers. The email generally has to come from hijacked home computers on dynamic IP ranges so origin of spam blocking filters can't stop it.

And the same botnets used to mail the spam and host the sites can be rented out for denial of service attacks against business or government targets, for exortion or terrorism.

I did actually check the headers and it did appear to be from that address, but as you say it could be an infected user, so I removed the main ident to be safe, sorry I didn't do it straight away, pretty ill ATM lol, got enough trouble breathing let alone anything else.

I also use Mailwasher, as said you can see Spam a mile away in that, because images are not shown, so instead you get to see the actual links address which often warns of danger, another tool to cover the most dangerous ones is Iconix, posted it in the tips section, it uses a data base of official details for the things in life that could cost you money, eg banks, ebay and paypal to mention a few, when you get a mail claiming to be from them, this software actually checks that it came from the official source, and tells you it is legit, more so warns if it is not, thus helping to stop you getting scammed.

But one thing I did notice looking at this again was the recipients, it was sent to undisclosed recipients, even in the header it was listed as this, not sure if it's worth adding that to some peoples spam filters, TBH I don't get spam anymore, when I changed isp's I had learnt a lot so with my new insight into avoiding being caught meant that I have stayed off the radar for a few years now, my biggest danger is educating mates who insist on using Cc when forwarding mail, but I am slowly getting through to them to use Bcc instead, but it's hard going lol.

Hi, Faith posted at inboxrevenge.com and mentioned this discussion going on.

:wp:

Thanks, AC. Here is the link, in case anyone is interested.

http://ksforum.inboxrevenge.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2434

I also use Mailwasher, as said you can see Spam a mile away in that, because images are not shown, so instead you get to see the actual links address which often warns of danger, another tool to cover the most dangerous ones is Iconix, posted it in the tips section, it uses a data base of official details for the things in life that could cost you money, eg banks, ebay and paypal to mention a few, when you get a mail claiming to be from them, this software actually checks that it came from the official source, and tells you it is legit, more so warns if it is not, thus helping to stop you getting scammed.

Iconix sounds pretty good, I will have to check it out. Off-topic-ID Theft protection, I had a friend of mine try Debix (http://www.debix.com/prevent_identity_theft.php) and they even have a demo to try. The part that I liked was that they call you anytime someone checks your credit report for approval prior to allowing it.

Guest paulfromhawaii2nd

TBH I was torn where to place this as it could of gone in 3 sections off the top of my head, so if the powers that be feel it's suited better elsewhere please move it to where you feel best.

I have just seen a new style Spam mail, and the angle they came from is a 1st for me and threw me initially, I was pretty sure it was spam, but due to it's approach I had to double check with my mate to be sure, long story short he drives across Europe for his job so relies on me to keep him up to date with his emails when he is away as on the road he has no access to them.

Here is the mail, I left the Addy in it as IMHO we only remove them so spam bots don't get them, but in these instances spam bot's are welcome to the details as far as I'm concerned, but again if you feel it's not suited do as you see fit, here is the mail:-

I left the link out for obvious reasons, but I mention this incase people have not seen this approach (like myself) and may want to update they're Spam filters to block this type of message.

*edit

Main ID removed.

Hello,

I thought I was the only one getting this spam for meds. I get spammed on my Yahoo premium account.I mean 10+ a week for these on line "drug stores". I set the spam guard to high and just let Yahoo auto-delete in 30 days. I hardly mail at all but these spammers find me anyway.Once in a while one gets to my in box. I just click ctrl-A and hit delete.

Paul

There are few people who don't get any such things, I am one, BUT, before I knew much about some things I had more than my fair share of such things, the biggest problem is once one group has your address, they sell it on to other places, so once this happens it will only get worse, up to the point your forced to drop that mail account and start again.

The main thing to do to minimise risk is as follows, use a free disposable address such as Hotmail or the like for ALL online activity\forums etc, and NEVER post it online, also NEVER use your main account address except when buying goods or dealing with anything official where you need security and know they wont misuse your details, BUT, watch out for the check boxes in any forms, usually at the end in small print, read them twice and mark the check boxes appropriately, some need checking, some need leaving blank, they vary so there is no preset way to choose, make sure you mark them appropriately to say you do NOT want anywhere else getting your details, especially 3rd party's, but I do usually leave the box to allow them to contact me again if needed, depends on the situation, but these little boxes are often how you get on such mailing list initially.

As to whats already being received set up filters so your not bothered by such mails again, look for options in your account, not used to yahoo so can only talk generally, your looking for things like add this to the spam filter, filter messages such as these, filter messages containing words such as...... then add the keywords of such mails, this should cut down what gets through, but each one that may get through add the details that it used to the filter as well to catch those mails, and repeat as needed, hope this helps.