Sign in to follow this  
hyperbyte

i want a web server

well i want my own web server to host a website, how easy is it?

i would use apache as microsoft already has too much of my money :)

what areas would i need knowledge in?

Well that is a pretty open ended question with about 2000 different possible answers :lol:

I usually start right here.

Check your ISP agreement. If they forbid running web servers form your home (just about all of the forbid it) and they catch you doing it, they can terminate your service without notice.

In other words if you run a web server and they discover it, they can and probably will shut down your connection.

If you wish to continue, you need to provide much more information then you have.

Well that is a pretty open ended question with about 2000 different possible answers.

Without you providing any specifics about all anyone can do is provide general answers, so here is as general an answer as they get.

You should start by reading the apache2 documentation.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

Edited by Bruce

well this is a future project, so i will change my isp if i need to.

You may want to look around at what your ISP choices are before you get disappointed. For me, I basically only have two choices, I think - Cablevision or Verizon DSL (maybe there are some other choices if I want a T1 connection or something, but I assume that costs a ton of money?). DSL probably isn't a good idea, it's just not fast enough. Obviously dial-up is out of the question. I already know Cablevision doesn't allow it. I really don't have a viable option for where I live. Check out your options.

Curious why not just use one of the many of possibly hundreds of service already out there ?

There are both paid and free, with everything from shared to dedicated server plans.

You have not said what you plan to do, that info could be helpful

Bear

First thing to consider is that you will need a Static IP address. Most providers will not give you one at anywhere near the price that you pay for your dsl service.

A dynamic IP address does not work very well because it can change as often as every 30 seconds depending on how you set up your connection.

ATT/Yahoo offers a Static package for about $80 and up per month and generally only goes month to month. The only problem is you will need lots of bandwith.

Also, ALL IPs can and many do use Deep Packet Inspection programs to search every packet to and from your server and can disconnect you for any reason at anytime.

Blame this on all the Anti-Piracy people that thought it was a great idea to allow ISP's to search everything you do because now everything can be searched whether you like it or not. When everyone said YES, go after the copyright infringers they also said YES to search anything whatsoever.

Best bet is to go to the hosting service of your choice and buy a package that suits your needs for space and bandwidth and let them handle it. You can get a good host that can handle several domains for under $100 a year.

Thought maybe you would actually like an answer, so here goes....

If your ISP does not block port 80 you are ok - otherwise any access to your site would need a port number as in www.yoursite.com:port# Most ISPs will not shut you off if you host your own site, they just make it incredibly difficult due to the port 80 block. They will also block port 25, 110 and possibly 343 to stop you from running a mail server.

Go to Apache Friends and download the XAMPP server package. It will give you Apache, PHP, MySql all in a single download. The setup is easy, and it will work as a local server immediately. It even has a self published ssl certificate to give you access to https There are addins for Perl/CGI and other features. Their forum is full of help for new users.

If you want the site accessable from the outside, you must have a name server or DNS direction. If you don't have a static IP you can use a service like no-ip.org to handle dns and also dynamic ip issues.

If you want to have more than 1 site on your server you really need to run on a static IP, commercial internet, and run a DNS server of your own....see sourceforge for some good open source ones. The setup of virtual hosts in Apache is very hard to master, but simple when you have..

The learning curve on this stuff is VERY steep, and you will need to secure and configure Apache using its very long config files.

It can be a ton of fun, and works well if you are patient. Remember the speed of others viewing your site will be dictated by your UPLOAD bandwidth, not your download. This is a very condensed version of how to do this, but it is simple and does work. Good luck if you go for it, expect it to take a lot of patience at the start, buts its 100% free and all yours.