Sign in to follow this  
luvpats

computer keeps beeping over and over-doesn't boot

When I try and boot my computer all it does is beep over and over at least 9 times.

It doesn't boot, nothing appears on the monitor. It just beeps.

I have a Dell Optiplex. It had been working great. That is until it started beeping.

Is there any way to run tests? I can't even get it to boot to a floppy. Nothing happens. Just beeping.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is the computer's motherboard fried?

I can't believe that would be the case as it was working fine.

Did I do something wrong?

Please advise. Thank you!

I use it all the time as well. Only Firefox blocks it (I think) but just click ignore this message (in small writing on the page itself)

I would trust thehulk he is a trusted member here. Plus I use it as well

But just in case here is what it says

1long, 2 short Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

Repeating (endless loop) Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

1long, 3short No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.

High frequency beeeps while running Overheated CPU Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

Repeating High/Low CPU Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

Edited by lugnut

I cannot get into the BIOS. When I turn the computer on I immediately get the beeps. There are nine beeps and then nothing all the same length. I cannot access anything. Blank screen on the monitor.

Nothing happens at all except the beeps. It doesn't even boot to anything not even to the BIOS.

I use it all the time as well. Only Firefox blocks it (I think) but just click ignore this message (in small writing on the page itself)

I would trust thehulk he is a trusted member here. Plus I use it as well

But just in case here is what it says

I have just connected to "bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm" and Avast warns that there is a Trojan.

I was there when I posted the link, and no problems, but if you are worried, try this one:

http://www.geocities.com/techcentralstation/BeepCodes.htm

Or, this one:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

I cannot get into the BIOS. When I turn the computer on I immediately get the beeps. There are nine beeps and then nothing all the same length. I cannot access anything. Blank screen on the monitor.

Nothing happens at all except the beeps. It doesn't even boot to anything not even to the BIOS.

luvpats, unplug that rascal and pop off the side panel or cover. Touch the metal side of the case to discharge any static electricity in your body and then check to see that the memory is seated properly. Leave the side/cover off, plug in and try to boot again. If it fails, unplug, touch the case again and remove one stick of memory. Again, plug it in and try to boot. If it fails, repeat steps only put in the stick you removed and remove the other stick. Try booting again.

Let us know whats going on.

:geezer: