Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Steve Ballmer aka Microsoft

Ballmer: Linux Bigger Competitor than Apple

http://www.osnews.com/story/21035/Ballmer_...itor_than_Apple

Interesting views from Redmond, they see Linux as a bigger threat then Apple.

The reason?

Apple does well here only in the US, outside the US Apple doesn't do very well.

In Microsoft's pie charts :lol: They give Linux a larger and more threatening share of the OS installs.

Of course I believe the number of Linux installs is much larger then any of the annalists predict. Because they can only count computers sold and or licenses sold. It is impossible to account for every Linux installation out there.

Not to mention they count computers that were sold with windows in the windows share, yet don't and actually have no way of counting all the computers that dual boot with Linux or have removed windows completely.

In short, the numbers are skewed.

Microsoft is not ignorant of that fact, however while they say Linux is their largest competitor, they will never know exactly how large a competitor because they have no way of knowing how many Linux machines are really out there. ;)

piracy ranks higher than linux and apple together. :surrender::thud:

(that's according to SB and M$)

Edited by Joe C

their statistics say that more than half of asia uses pirated windows.........

some users say linux stops them from pirating' thus no need for ms products, its good for ms and linux :lol:

also we must removed what's been forced onto the equation ;)

i could imagine how many of their operating systems were zeroed out to install a linux os !

My system didn't come with Windows or Linux installed on it. :mrgreen:

The only thing really keeping MS in the game against Linux is in fact games. If these software companies would write games that could be used in both Windows and Linux there would be a big turn in the numbers. I believe ID software does this. More companies like them would help the Linux numbers.

Gone are the days of saying Linux is to hard to use or figure out. It's as simple or more simple to use then Windows. Desktop effects in Linux blows away Windows and of course stability too and you can't forget viruses and junk like that.

I'm very happy I use Linux now. :tup:

But Apple does not pose a threat to Microsoft the way Linux does, not in any way shape or form.