Sign in to follow this  
duanester

netflix user

Watching instantly on your computer

Our apologies — instant watching is not supported for your operating system.

Note that your current Internet browser is fully compatible with adding titles to the Instant Queue for later watching on compatible devices.

Complete System Requirements

To watch instantly, you'll need a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:

* Windows

o Windows XP with Service Pack 2, or Vista

o Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher; or Firefox 2 or higher

o 1.2 GHz processor

o 512 MB RAM

* Macintosh

o An Intel-based Mac with OS 10.4.8 or later

o Safari 3 or higher; or Firefox 2 or higher

o 1 GB RAM

* You will also need an active broadband connection to the Internet

have a look at that !

Isn't this just DRM related? Pretty soon every giant media corporation will have their own device, to play only the content they own.

Those with eclectic tastes will just be out of luck because each device will detect those of other companies and lock up until you pay for the patch firmware.( And click that you agree you will never do it again.) :P

Personally I would cancel the service, and I would tell them why.

I simply can't imagine paying for a service to watch movies that won't let me watch movies.

Edited by Bruce

strange, netflix supposedly supports Linux. I know they are working with the Boxee developers to include Netflix downloadable movies in their interface.

I will be happy if they brought it over to linux. I currently just use VirtualBox to watch netflix instantly which isn't bad.

The service is technically free so you aren't paying for a service you can't use. But it would be nice to have the same benefits as the Windows/Mac users.

It's free?

So I can go their site without a netflix account and watch full length HD movies for free?

Links please.

It's free?

So I can go their site without a netflix account and watch full length HD movies for free?

Links please.

Fo sho :tup:

my wife wanted the service for the movies by mail, she set it up, i merely said sure go ahead............

this was last week, last night i went on there to search for good titles and noticed a play now tab :woot:

i was shocked to see that message' and thought i should warn everyone......

I was disappointed when I started a trial of netflix to learn Linux is not supported.

However, if you own an Xbox 360, you can stream directly to that.

And the streaming features is at no additional charge, so it's not like you're losing anything if you are already a Netflix subscriber.

I don't have an xbox, I don't have a windows computer.............

I don't want netflix.

Interesting name isn't it netflix

They should have called it windowsflix ;)

Cause it ain't netflix unless it works on the net :rofl3:

it was named netflix LONG before stream was available for the fact you could get on the net and order your movies instead of driving to the local rip off rental store.

they've since added streaming, but haven't been able to haggle the movie rights for anything newly released so it's mainly older titles available, and of their entire collection, a fraction available.

it's a new service that is still evolving, and was mainly a means to test their networks to pave the way for the now released set top and gaming systems that stream the movies to your tv for no additional monthly cost. their business model has them trying to get away from the dvd media as their mainstay and going to streaming content, but they have several issues to overcome prior.

the reason linux isn't working, at least publicly, is that netflix uses a viewer that has so far not been programed for linux, to maintain copyright protection (or attempt to, lol). it doesn't just stream a media clip to download or windows media player.... only works with the netflix viewer.

and if you don't have a decent connection, it's not "instant" either.

i don't understand why you're warning anyone duanster??? as of now, netflix is primarily a dvd rental site with the added bonus of SOME media able to stream. give it awhile and let it mature some and i'm certain linux support will arrive.

why am i warning ?

well' lets take into consideration that many' or most will never read !

they will never ever check system requirements........

this can be a problem because' linux is pretty main stream' and those that don't read will automatically point fingers at linux and say it's not capable ;)

now' you know some folks are quick to pass judgment based of their limited knowledge and lack of all the facts :lol:

this is why i created the thread :)

i would think that if you're of the mental capacity to operate linux successfully, that'd you'd read the sys req on the netflix page, lmao

though linux is indeed not capable of playing streaming netflix films for the simple fact the software isn't available for it.

it's right there on the site....

oh, and as a note, if you're trying to wirelessly stream these netflix films, use a solid connection lol. attempting this near the range limit results in a movie that won't play. netflix player isn't to forgiving about droped connections and will lock the stream up and download no more. atleast a couple months ago this issue was still there.

it is capable, it's netflix software that isn't capable on this platform ;)

that's like saying linux isn't capable of simple web browsing' or a network adapter wont work on linux because it's incapable of such tasks' especially when the hardware vendor was incapable of producing a linux driver :lol:

it's easy to see that linux isn't the problem :)

didn't say linux was the problem, just that it can't run the netflix viewer as there is no version for linux yet.

i'd be willing to bet it has something to do with the open source nature of linux vs the required closed source of the copyright crap that has to come witht he netflix viewer.

either way though, i wouldn't think it'd matter much since they make the set top boxes now for streaming to tv. personally, i don't watch movies on my pc, just the tv.

i will try it

edit: its pre compiled for ubuntu and all that's left is the source' so since i am not in the mood to screw with the source files' i will mess with it later.

Edited by duanester

netflix uses ms silverlight :yucky:

edit: yep' ms silverlight

i ran firefox in wine' went to download player and it was actually silverlight.........

so i went to install that with wine but it prompted me to enable windoz updates first before it could install' i canceled the installation :lol:

so basically' it's a wga check to get silverlight :tdn:

Edited by duanester