Sign in to follow this  
Sanford

Ubuntu for torrents

does anyone here use Ubuntu for torrents?

I just wanted to know if it was hard to set it up , and about how you like it.

My windows XP laptop had gotten infected with a rootkit, so I stopped using torrents. but if its relatively safe using Ubuntu I may use it again in the future.

I want to make sure I am understanding the question.

If you use windows to steal movies, music and software your computer gets infected.

So you want to use linux to steal movies, music and software.

If you think a file is any safer because you download it in an OS that isn't susceptible to windows crud, you would be wrong.

Crud is crud.

There are of course rootkits out there for Linux, and Mac, and Unix..........

Not to mention the fact that if you do steal a movie, music, or software for a windows computer using Linux, the minute that movie, music or software touches either your network, or a windows machine, the problems start all over.

In short, there is no safe way to steal movies, music, and software.'

You could try the old fashioned way of getting these items.

Go to the store and pay for them.

I've obviously touched a nerve with the question. I live in Canada, and as far as I know , using torrents isn't illegal in Canada.

I could have done without the lecture on theft, the day they change the laws I'll stop using torrents forever. The way you said it , it makes it seem like I'm downloading 24/7.

I've gotten a handful of songs this way and that's it. I don't see it any different than if I watch and listen to a song posted on youtube.

and its not like I'm making any money from the other people's work. how is that stealing?

So the day they make all property a free for all, with no penalties for taking something that doesn't belong to you then you will stop stealing :lol:

If I steal car radio from the auto parts store, and I don't sell it but just use it for my own listening pleasure, then by your standards I am OK and did nothing wrong.

BTW, there is nothing illegal about torrent software, or any other software, it is what you do with software that is legal and or illegal.

That said, because of the stated nature of your intended use, I certainly won't be helping you.

I have said it many times before and will say it again.

If something isn't worth paying for, then I don't see why you would want it.

your car radio analogy isn't quite the same and you know it. Now, if you figure out a way to clone the said radio and leave the original behind, you'd be ok in my books.

"I live in Canada, and as far as I know , using torrents isn't illegal in Canada."

let me rephrase that

" live in Canada, and as far as I know , using torrents to download music isn't illegal in Canada. "

according to our laws , no laws have been broken.

"That said, because of the stated nature of your intended use, I certainly won't be helping you." fine, I'll try not to cry too much over the loss.

This is an American site not a Canadian site, perhaps you should read the rules.

It is your stated intended use of the software that in fact makes the whole thread a violation of the rules.

well, I apologize for missing that in the forum rules, as well as not realizing this was a US based site.

I won't post those types of questions anymore, mods are free to delete the thread if they so like .

dependant of course on what music you are downloading, it is not necessarily illegal...in canada or anywhere else in the world.

bruce knows this as well as anyone else here.

...i bet if the title of this thread was "suse for torrents", bruce would have bent over backwards to help you. :P

:b33r:

First off I don't believe Bruce's ethics come into play no matter what distro is in the thread. Second it is very well known that people getting viruses from software off torrents sites means they are getting illegal copies of software. If it's free then you go to the site of the software maker and download it. Bruce easily put 1 and 1 together and the poster confessed to it. Bruce kept the integrity of PC Pitstop as to not help people obtain illegal copies of software or digital media.

Thrid and last but not least. Your posting of "Bruce battering" is getting ridiculous and needs to stop. I thought the other week you where just having a bad few days, but it has continued on to be really out of control. Contribute to this forum and not cause trouble please.

1st kram i think Jackel was spot on with his first post, the original poster never mentioned doing anything illegal. and bruce did go to far with accusing him of doing something illegal (ok we all know what torrents are usually used for by the majority.of people)

2nd the original poster never said he got the rootkit from a torrent download just that he'd stopped using torrents on windows after getting a rootkit(and i bet there are legal torrents out there that you could get a rootkit from). and we all know there are lots of ways of getting them in windows. :rofl2:

3rd how many times have we been asked for help with torrents and given it freely without accusing the poster of doing anything illegal??

4th yes jackel i do think sometimes you add digs aimed at bruce to posts that really didn't need them and this detract from the overall quality of the forum, but bruce is a big boy kram and can look out for himself. ;)

we know torrents can be good things as well as bad and Sanford still hasn't been given the help that he's asked for and i for one think he deserves it being a honest law abiding pit member.

what anyone does after receiving our help is not my concern nor should it be anyone elses unless the poster specifically asks for help to do something we know is illegal, and torrents are not.

just sorry i can't help sanford because i've never used ubuntu.

Edited by terry1966

1st kram i think Jackel was spot on with his first post, the original poster never mentioned doing anything illegal. and bruce did go to far with accusing him of doing something illegal (ok we all know what torrents are usually used for by the majority.of people)

2nd the original poster never said he got the rootkit from a torrent download just that he'd stopped using torrents on windows after getting a rootkit(and i bet there are legal torrents out there that you could get a rootkit from). and we all know there are lots of ways of getting them in windows. :rofl2:

3rd how many times have we been asked for help with torrents and given it freely without accusing the poster of doing anything illegal??

4th yes jackel i do think sometimes you add digs aimed at bruce to posts that really didn't need them and this detract from the overall quality of the forum, but bruce is a big boy kram and can look out for himself. ;)

we know torrents can be good things as well as bad and Sanford still hasn't been given the help that he's asked for and i for one think he deserves it being a honest law abiding pit member.

what anyone does after receiving our help is not my concern nor should it be anyone elses unless the poster specifically asks for help to do something we know is illegal, and torrents are not.

just sorry i can't help sanford because i've never used ubuntu.

thanks for the offer,anyways.

and , you are correct , I didn't get that rootkit from using torrents. This thread is going nowhere so we might as well close it.

I live in Canada also. I got news for you Sanford, downloading music, even a song or two is illegal here as well. Canada doesn't go after people like a mad dog the way some countries do but it is still against the law.

Personally, I don't care what you do. I have little sympathy for artists and actors that live an opulent lifestlye and poor artists I suspect would enjoy the attention.

The point is, it isn't legal to download music / movies in Canada.

The point is, it isn't legal to download music / movies in Canada.

yes there are lots of legal music/movie downloads even in Canada. :lol:

edit:- and like bruce said sandman just install one and use it. i use deluge, but i think ktorrent comes installed already in suse so might in ubuntu.

Edited by terry1966

yes there are lots of legal music/movie downloads even in Canada. :lol:

edit:- and like bruce said sandman just install one and use it. i use deluge, but i think ktorrent comes installed already in suse so might in ubuntu.

Alright, you know what I mean. :surrender:

thanks for the offer,anyways.

and , you are correct , I didn't get that rootkit from using torrents. This thread is going nowhere so we might as well close it.

Nobody said you got the rootkit from using a torrent program. It's the files you downloaded. To make sure this is clear, just because you download a file using Ubuntu or a Linux distro does not mean the file is not infected. If you pass an infected file onto a Windows user they could get infected as well. Seems to me like you "could" be better off changing your anti-virus program.

anyone in any platform can protect core components, sudowin is a great example on defeating rootkits !

it has to start with basic security acknowledgment

what you don't know will hurt' what you know will also hurt if not implemented

they can knock' but they cant come in :shifty:

one can make it virtually impossible to get infected downloading and browsing the trashiest sites

speaking from experience again duanester??? :rofl2:

i don't resent that' i have had some difficult time battling this crap in my wind-os days

in fact the first time i noticed something wasn't rite' i investigated it, solved it, and prevented it.........

it makes me sick to my stomach seeing endless repeats, i just want to vomit visiting the virus forums

was thinking more along the lines of you spending all day looking at powrn on the net d, ;):rofl2:

oops forgot your daughters here now... was just joking with your dad honest duanester's daughter( :blushing: sorry forgot your name) :rofl2:

it's browsing the web normally will infect a machine, browser injections, scripts etc........

at least if proper security measures were taken' software vulnerabilities would be the last risk, often software is patched in time "mostly"

on top of that i can name 15 registry edits, also how to change folder permissions on the fly' and limit administrative privileges, locked down hardened steel B)

on top of that i can name 15 registry edits, also how to change folder permissions on the fly' and limit administrative privileges, locked down hardened steel B)

^^

He speakah tha truth!

Hell, I can lock down account with a boot cd, using an offline registry editor for XP.

Thats always fun.

Assuming you want to use torrents legally, there are a couple options.

First, azureus is in the repos, albeit an older version.

Azureus Vuze is on www.getdeb.net in a .deb package.

I use utorrent, when I torrent, in wine, because I think it's the best program for torrents.

And before I get thrown under the bus, I use torrents legally -- at least I do now, in the present.