Sign in to follow this  
petlgun

Windows 7 the best?

I have been testing windows 7 beta and I believe that it is a decent operating system outside of a few quirks. I will admit that my vista 64bit boots at an alarming rate with all taskbar items ready to go in comparison to windows 7. Windows 7 software operation is very fast and decently stable in comparison to vista but the main problem that I have with both vista and 7 is that the gaming is horrible. I use OpenGL on a GeForce 8300 and have had no issues in xp but then I upgraded to vista and get flushentitypacket issues. Windows 7 doesn't even give an excuse, it just says that it isn't supported. I don't understand why they would also put a limit on how many programs you can run at once simply because I don't know a single person in the world that runs any less than 3 programs at once. That should be outlawed. We didn't ask for new windows systems that are going to limit what we do with our computers. To be honest, I will never get rid of xp simply because I can do what I want and everything works efficiently. Any thoughts on this?

this is a nice benchmark / review on windows 7.

I am now thinking of installing mine, but its in my virtual machine for the moment. :)

keep testing and please post it here.

thanks a lot.

What 3 program limit? I'm running 7 different programs at the moment and they are all working fine.

Edited to add: Ah the starter edition. But the beta is the Ultimate edition so no limit.

Edited by JSanders9

Until Win 7 goes RTM I'm staying away since it's essentially a slimed down version of Vista based on the Vista Kernal.

Is this a bad thing? Vista has way too much going on it in. Win 7 does on some stuff, but when I went to check the services running in Win 7, a bunch of the crud services where turned off that you normally have to turn off yourself in Vista and XP. One thing I am tiered of is all the notification crud and Win 7 added to that. Securty center checks stuff then now you have Action Center checking Security Center along with Windows Defender checking that this stuff is running too. They need to work on the Root/User separation.

Silj, you just may be missing out ... Now, I haven't experienced any problems with either of my Vista's (Ultimate and Business), other than a few burps and glitches with Raid Array set up... I'm quite pleased with the overall experience that I've had.

Silj, you just may be missing out ... Now, I haven't experienced any problems with either of my Vista's (Ultimate and Business), other than a few burps and glitches with Raid Array set up... I'm quite pleased with the overall experience that I've had.

Good to know, Jacee - I was just eluding to the fact that Win 7 Beta is not for the faint-of-heart.

Well I am looking forward to it so I can do another comparison, like the one I did when Vista was released. Yes as much as I dislike windows I am capable of doing an unbiased comparison.