Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Why does everything have to be...........

Why does everything have to be in a repo?

I notice a trend lately. If something isn't in a repo, people whine and cry....

That said, I enjoy having large repos with lots of software, but I don't complain if what I want isn't there, I simply take the time to compile it myself, that of course may require finding some dependencies but whats the big deal with that?

I guess it just baffles me what people find so difficult about

./configure

make

make install

Why does everything have to be in a repo?

I notice a trend lately. If something isn't in a repo, people whine and cry....

That said, I enjoy having large repos with lots of software, but I don't complain if what I want isn't there, I simply take the time to compile it myself, that of course may require finding some dependencies but whats the big deal with that?

I guess it just baffles me what people find so difficult about

./configure

make

make install

Repos make things even easier I guess, people don't want to work any harder than they have to

About 5 years ago when I was using Linux as my basic desktop O/S doing the ./configure-make-make install became 2nd nature to me

Now I just get lazy and find the repos :lol:

I see.

So it's someone else's job to compile the latest and greatest, keep it updated and build binary blobs for the masses, because "it is a pain" to do.

Sorry, but that doesn't wash with me.

I am extremely grateful for the folks who do all this hard work for free and on their own time. I don't think most users take the time to think if they think it is hard, how hard it must be for someone who takes the time to do this with hundreds and or thousands of applications for them

I am talking about the whiners and criers, who are too lazy to do anything for themselves yet have the audacity to complain when someone else didn't do it for them.

Like I said, I love having all the software available to me in the various repositories. But if I can't get what I want, then I build it myself.

Were not talking rocket science here.

No Bruce, I totally see where you're coming from and understand

If I can't find a repo right away, I have no problem compiling it myself

As you said, it's not hard, and finding missing dependencies is easy enough

But if the repo is easily available, I'll use it

I don't disagree with that, that is exactly what I am saying.

I am talking about the people who whine and cry when an rpm, or deb isn't available.

I am dead serious, as the popularity of Linux grows it seems there are more and more cry babies coming with that popularity.

God forbid you tell one of them to do the very thing the expect others to do for them for free...........

You can take the time to even explain the process, point them to everything they need, and rather then do it, they whine and cry that someone should have done this for them.

Working with a developer recently to work through some bugs in software, made me take the time to think of the great deal of trouble, time, and aggravation they go through out of nothing but good will, and people complain.

I must have thanked this developer 20 times for his work on the application. But never once complained that it wasn't in some repository somewhere, or in a binary blob that I could click on and have a package manager open.

You've made me start to think on this

This could be a dangerous thing for the Linux world at large

I'm looking at the extremes here of course

If we start to rely on people/organizations constantly compiling repos for us, I can see a future where Linux is no longer open source, where companies have been set up just to compile binaries, and the end-users are subsequently locked out doing it themselves

AKA, Microsoft :lol:

That can't happen with an "open source" application as it must either offer the soruce for download, or link to the source in some way so that it is available.

There is nothing wrong with someone making proprietary applications for Linux there are hundreds of them. I could care less about that.

I am just talking about lazy, ungrateful people who want everything handed to them on a silver platter, and if they actually have to try and do something for themselves they have the audacity to complain, whine and cry because someone hasn't done the very thing they are too lazy to do themselves.

Yeah, I was like that in the beginning

I first started using Linux around 2002, and I remember getting all :filtered: off having to compile things myself, as even 7 years ago there were a lot less repos available than there are now

I distinctively remember you personally helping me on red hat and having the patience to put up with my confusion, haha

Over time I started to learn how to manage compiling and installing things myself, and I'm glad I know how

I'd rather be able to myself, because there are times that repos that are supposedly compiled for my distro still won't work, and downloading the source and compiling it myself fixes that problem

i rarely have to do that compared to the past...

i can't imagine anyone needing something that's not already in the repos

unless they want the newest version of what ever, if that's the case' they must have a specific reason, that said' they must already know how to compile the apps !

What I dislike is a repository that does not install the very thing it claims to offer. I've just experienced this upgrading GNOME do to version 0.8

One click install actually installed an older version of DO than I was using, yet it did offer an update to 0.7.95xxx in software management.

I don't think it is wrong to expect a distro version specific repository for a single application to meet all dependencies the app itself needs.

(I'm not talking about conflicts or other problems the install might pose.)

At any rate learning another way to do something is much better than only having one way to do it. :)

i have had situations that required a older version dependencies, that can break things' especially when hundreds of other apps require it :lol:

Bruce, a while back you mentioned a command that took advantage of multiple core while compiling software. It was just a little piece of text on the end on the command. Do you remember what it was?

Bruce,

If you had only used Windows (like me) before migrating to Linux, the thought of entering anything into a command line was foreign at best, intimidating at worst.

The only way I knew how to install software was by clicking through a Windows installer.

So, when someone told me to compile ./configure make sudo make install, you might as well have been speaking Japanese.

Ultimately, I think people complain is one of two reasons:

1) People are unfamiliar with / don't understand the concept of compiling from source, which usually includes meeting dependencies.

subpoint: a lot of people, including me sometimes, don't know where to find dependencies

2) People are lazy.

I really don't care whether they can compile from source or not.

I do care when the get thousands and thousands or applications for free, all running on a free operating system, and then they whine and cry if someone won't do things for them. ;)

Now if I "paid" for an application, I would expect it to have a packaged installer of some sort, and would expect to get support for that application.

But when someone makes an application for free, donates their time and resources creating that application for free, and releases the source code so anyone can make use of it, then I think people are way off their rockers to complain someone won't compile it for them.

Now for the part you probably won't like :P

I really don't care about or give a hoot the average windows user who downloads Linux installs it, and thinks they will be getting a windows clone, or that they will have it all figured out in an hour.

Those folks usually don't make it through a week, of actually trying something new. Because in all reality they don't want to learn something new, they just want something for free, and when they realize that "they" are not capable of doing much more then turning it on and off, they bail, complaining it isn't "ready". :lol:

The reality is, it is indeed ready. It is they who are not ready. ;)

the point of technology,hardware or software, is to make things easier, free or not, complaints are the same as a suggestion box, more or less. most of the time, someone sees the complaint, and thinks of an easier way to do it, a simple supply and demand. The point of computers for most people is to simply accomplish a task efficiently regardless of the OS in use.

Yep it is. Thats why I use software :lol:

In fact it is far easier to install 99.9% of software in Linux then in windows.

But there is that 0.1% of the time when the ungrateful, cry babies of the computer world make unrealistic "demands", stomp their little feet, rant and rave, and by the time they are done crying and complaining if they took the time to ask a question, read a little they could have done it by themselves.

Like any powerful tool, it does require at least the common sense to read or ask how to use it when you don't know how.

Hi Bruce,

as one of the lamest of the new lame linux box owners, I was just starring at it a while ago and had this sensation as if someone walked across my grave or something.

So I decided to log on and have a read..... sure enough!

You were describing me perfectly! :rofl2:

Now for the part you probably won't like tongue.gif

I really don't care about or give a hoot the average windows user who downloads Linux installs it, and thinks they will be getting a windows clone, or that they will have it all figured out in an hour.

Those folks usually don't make it through a week, of actually trying something new. Because in all reality they don't want to learn something new, they just want something for free, and when they realize that "they" are not capable of doing much more then turning it on and off, they bail, complaining it isn't "ready". lol.gif

The reality is, it is indeed ready. It is they who are not ready.

I truly hope I get over it, and become self-sufficient with at least one version of linux (or I suppose I should start referring to it as a distro?)

Cheer up. As least one Windows dependent person is trying to get out of bed and walk on his own.

/

/

/

/

/

That doesn't mean I'm done asking lame questions yet though. :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

Doug

I won't ask the next question and the next and the next, because I just wouldn't get very far that way.

Instead, let me ask where/what I can study.

For instance, what do you think of this site?

http://www.novell.com/documentation/opensu...10_startup.html

Thanks

Not really sure what you need to study on, unless you plan on doing some linux coding. Once you find your way around, it's as simple as Windows to use. All programs you could want are at your finder tips.

this is the place i like to hangout

http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

to the left' notice "documentation" link in the above page

here is direct linkage to documentation

http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation

avoid novell docs unless you want to go enterprise :)

now if i wanted to know a way to mess with appearance' i would click "configuration"

http://en.opensuse.org/Configuration

then http://en.opensuse.org/Configuration#Appearance

but it all starts at the first link :)