Sign in to follow this  

Vista SP2

Expected for a Release Candidate Feb 16-20th.

Release to Manufactur is 2nd Quarter (april-june)

RTW is still TBA. Dates seem to change weekly now.

Even though its still a ways off, thought i'd bring a heads up of what to expect.

Complete list and explanation of hotfixes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335033.aspx

Highlights:

Here are some of the highlights of what it'll do for you:

• Let you record data onto Blu-ray discs

• Add into your system Vista Feature Pack For Wireless, which provides support for the latest Bluetooth technology -- Bluetooth v2.1 -- as well as for the Windows Connect Now (WCN) Wi-Fi protocol

• Give you better Wi-Fi performance when you're exiting Vista's sleep mode

• Make your RSS feeds sidebar gadget work faster and better

• Give you the latest desktop search engine, Windows Search 4

• Cut down the resources it takes to run your various sidebar gadgets

It'll give your OS an overall tune-up, too.

Vista Service Pack 2 will also deliver some under-the-hood improvements, which will:

• Give your computer support for VIA Technologies' new 64-bit CPU

• Let your system support exFAT, which can handle larger files and can also use UTC timestamps so you can synchronize files across different time zones

• Boost your power management efficiency by as much as 10 percent

Additionally, a slew of system bugs will be corrected in the update, including some slow shutdown problems and other crash-causing issues.

You have to have SP1 installed before you begin.

Like most Microsoft Service Packs, SP2 won't work on your system if you haven't already installed SP1. If you're thinking about trying the SP2 upgrade, you'll have to hit SP1 first.

Things may not be totally smooth at first.

Microsoft has had some history with glitches seemingly caused by its Windows Service Pack updates. It sometimes takes several hotfixes for these kinks to be worked out. That's precisely why it's often best to wait for the full release, at the very least, before jumping on the upgrade.

This Service Pack does offer some improvements over past ones.

Microsoft did take some steps to make this Service Pack function a bit better than past upgrades. It is the first Windows Service Pack to work for both the client (Vista) and server (Windows 2008) editions of the operating system in a single update.

SP2 also includes what Microsoft is calling a "Service Pack Clean-up Tool." This will permanently delete old versions of files SP2 is updating, helping you reduce clutter and get rid of outdated system files that'd otherwise just take up space.

The problem, as I see it, is that MS does not have the greatest tyrack record on SP. I just upgraded my XP to SP3 and now get errors because of my D-Link wireless. I was able to get rid of one but not the other. I have been in computers longer than mosty on this forum (45 years). I have seen 5MB HDs that weighed in at 180lbs. Magnetic core memory and drum memory. Teletype I/O and IBM Selectric Typewriter spitting out position reports for a Nucleaar Submarine every 6 minutes.

Being a business programmer I gre up with IBM and hated them. One thing in their favor though was the fact that a new version of software always worked/ There were times when there were small bugs but tehy were always fixed quickly. Before retiring I spent about 15 years with teh AS400 and OS400 operating system. Saw numerous upgrades and equipment upgrades and always did them in Friday evening JIC but never had a problem that kept us from being up the next morning. Can't say the same for MS. When Windows 95 first came out it was as buggy as a rain forest. Then the upgrade to 98 didn't work and you had to wipe the drive and start over. I am not sure but the advent of XP didn't upgrade either. Now Vista withj upgrades from XP only.

I could understand when an IBM software upgrade meant an upgrade in hardware also, because they sell both software and iron so it made sense. Is MS getting kickbacks from the iron mongers? The big problem is that they are the 800lb gorilla and if you want a wide selection of software you won't get it with Linux or Apple.

OK. I am done now.

i used amigaos for a long time at home before i finally grudingly gave it up for win98se. never really an issue with it but 98 was a crash king though the worst os i think i used as far as buggy was trsdos, but being a little kid at the time didnt help either.

regardless, its MS's ballgame now, play by the rules or watch from the sidelines. though i have never had an issue with any of ms's SP's, yet.

I could understand when an IBM software upgrade meant an upgrade in hardware also, because they sell both software and iron so it made sense. Is MS getting kickbacks from the iron mongers? The big problem is that they are the 800lb gorilla and if you want a wide selection of software you won't get it with Linux or Apple.

OK. I am done now.

MS does not get "kickbacks" from the OEM's, MS has always and still uses intimidation in this area, of course it isn't as easy as it used to be for them to do this, but they do indeed still do it. If anything rather then get kickbacks they used to give them, and then use that leverage against OEM's. Charged, tried and convicted of it :lol:

AS for the software, I beg to differ.

While MAC may be severely handicapped in the software area, Linux certainly isn't and in fact I would contend there is more software available for Linux.

Of course if you are only looking at"Windows" software from Windows orientated companies then the obvious conclusion would be the one you arrived at. However when you look at what Linux distributions provide and what is available in the various repositories for the perspective distributions then the obvious conclusion is the available software for Linux far exceeds what is available for windows, and not only that but it's installation, maintenance, and updates/upgrades are done ten times easier.

All that said, most windows service packs work well on a machine that doesn't have problems already.

Edited by Bruce