Sign in to follow this  
KRAM

Desktop effects, stop transparent taskbar.

KRAM   

When I enable desktop effects the taskbar goes transparent. I can not find anywhere within the settings to make the taskbar solid.

How do I make the taskbar solid with desktop effects on?

Thanks.

i had the same problem when i used 10.3

changing transparency % helped, i never found a way to stop it.

their is no settings specific to the bar' so adjusting transparency will affect everything.

i haven't tried it in 11.1

Bruce   

KDE's native desktop effevcts?

Or Compiz-Fusion?

If KDE's native effects what theme are you using?

Also when you say transparent, do you mean it disappears totally or just has transparency?

Edited by Bruce

KRAM   

Transparency. The taskbar is there, I want it to be solid though. I would assume it's KDE Native Effects since I do not have Compiz installed, but it has wobbly windows and 3D Cube effects in it. Nothing in Transparency settings effects the taskbar.

KRAM   

I would think there is a setting that I am missing somewhere as when I turn off desktop effects the taskbar goes back to a solid color, no transparency.

since we advanced a bit since' there is probably a config file somewhere, where is the question ?

bruce may know the answer to it

i did find something we can study, it's a lot to look at though

i found it in /usr/bin/compiz

i am currently running ubuntu, your situation may be different

COMPIZ_BIN_PATH="/usr/local/bin/" # For window decorators and compiz
PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/local/lib/compiz/" 
GLXINFO="/usr/bin/glxinfo"
KWIN="/usr/bin/kwin"
METACITY="/usr/bin/metacity"
COMPIZ_NAME="compiz" # Final name for compiz (compiz.real) 

edited: those appear to be the directories, this only affects ubuntu, i edited out the mumbo jumbo

i will check /use/local/bin, it looks like all the window settings are there

Edited by duanester

KRAM   

This must be something to do with KDE 4.2. I remember seeing options that are no longer available. Things like add new default panel, and one about colorize taskbar to desktop theme or something like that.

Bruce   

It has nothing to do with Compiz, disregard anything about Compiz, in fact you can remove it completely from the system. KDE has effects natively and doesn't use a third party application for it's effects.

With that out of the way :lol:

Where are you selecting the theme from?

There are window decorations in configure desktop in the menu n=but those are not related to to what you are seeing.

The theme responsible for the taskbar and what is seen on the "desktop" is in a setting on the desktop.

Right click on the desktop and select appearance settings, there the default choice for the desktop is aya, and or oxygen, you can also select the option to get more themes which will download and install any theme that is available at KDE-Look.org.

I use "Slim Glow" which has a transparent taskbar. The aya theme and oxygen theme do not use a transparent taskbar.

Even with effects on the Oxygen theme tasbar is not transparent, and has the blue outline around items in the tasbar.

KRAM   

Soon as I enable desktop effects the taskbar goes into tranparency with Oxygen. Aya theme stays solid, but what a nasty theme Aya is :yucky:

Also I'm pretty sure the curved looking taskbar with blue lining around task manager items happens when you go to KDE 4.2.

Edited by KRAM

KRAM   

I was using 4.2 and in trying to get the transparency on taskbar to stop when selecting desktop effects I went back to 4.1, but it did not help.

It has nothing to do with Compiz, disregard anything about Compiz, in fact you can remove it completely from the system. KDE has effects natively and doesn't use a third party application for it's effects.

dang, my bad' it's kwin :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWin

:tup:

maybe bruce can tell us about it's config files :rolleyes:

maybe it's as easy as editing one ?

KRAM   

Well I did something to goof it up somewhere. I went back to KDE 4.2 and did the remove old KDE folder command Bruce gave me in other thread and it's all back to what it should be. Solid taskbar again :clap:

I did try the remove current KDE folder before which probably would have fixed thing, but I didn't realize I had to change the move to folder to another name as it would not overwrite the folded first removed KDE folder.

KRAM   

Well crap. That did not fix it. Oxygen apparently is seen as transparent under desktop effects. It looked as if it was solid, but it was not. The background is blue on a fresh KDE desktop, so you didn't notice it. Soon as I changed the background, sure enough it's transparent. :cr@sh:

guess I need to find a desktop appearance theme that the taskbar does not become transparent on enabling desktop effects. Sucks cause I spent hours adjusting my Windows colors for the Oxygen theme, which has a black taskbar with blue lined task manager items when desktop effects is not enabled.

i will jump onboard and get suse running on this spare disk and give it a go, i am always up for a challenge especially after a few samuels :lol:

KRAM   

Well I just took the desktop picture and edited it so that the lower section would be black where the taskbar area is. Makes the taskbar appear to be solid black. B)