Sign in to follow this  
michael0830

Too Much Security

Is there a possibility that the virus/spam/spyware programs in Spyware Doctor are slamming up against the same programs in McAfee, causing incredible slowness or eventual corruption/crash? Years ago, on our first computer, unbeknownst to us, we had Norton AV and McAfee Security running concurrently, which eventually crashed the hard drive. Do I need to be concerned about similar problems with Spyware Doc & McAfee running at the same time?

I used to run AdAware and Spybot also and was told by a Dell tech that it was overkill and a space hog. IOW should I use one spyware/malware program (McAfee OR Spyware Doc)? Should I put all my security eggs in McAfee and lose Spyware Doc?

There is no such thing as "too much" security.

There is indeed such a thing as poorly implemented security.

McCaffee is poorly implemented security.

What would you recommend instead of McAfee?

What would you recommend instead of McAfee?

There have been many recommendations given by many members here including myself, the question is what are you wanting a stand alone protection module or a suite.

A V G has both a free and a paid version for virus protection, the paid version does offer a lot more bang for the buck

Kaspersky has a 30 day trial for its robust anti virus and internet security suite, a bit pricey but does the job well

Avast also has both a free and pro version

There are of course many many more programs out there some good and a few that only want your money

and even a few that will cause more harm than good.

When you have searched and have made a selection, I would strongly urge you to search Consumer Complaints followed by the name of the product.

In the end it is up to each user to follow safe surfing habits

Bear

Bear is on the money as usual, very good advice, but to add to it as long as you remember the 1 at a time rule then there is never to much protection, to clarify, you must use ONLY:- 1 firewall, 1 anti virus and 1 anti spyware all offering real time protection, if you run more than 1 of the same type at the same time they can conflict, and do more harm than good, you can have as many standalone scanners as you like, just run them 1 at a time.

And if you have real time protection enabled from another program of the same type then disable that BEFORE running the standalone scanner, as long as you do that to much protection is never a problem, because standalone scanners only ever run when you physically run them, but you do have to keep your eyes open when installing that they don't start up a free trial of real time cover, SUPERAntiSpyware does this, then it reverts to the free version if you don't buy it in the few weeks trial, so nothing that is a problem, just be aware and keep to the 1 at a time rule.

i think the individual is going about it the wrong way when we speak about real security !

i will only give advice if asked :)