Sign in to follow this  
pastofino1

Create Desktop Icons for Shutdown or Restart

Instead of clicking Start > turn off computer and selecting shutdown or restart, you can create desktop icons which automatically shutdown or restart your PC with just a double-click.

SHUTDOWN ICON

1.) Right click on an empty area on your desktop.

2.) Select new>shortcut.

3.) In the First box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type "shutdown -s -t 00" (without quotes). Click next.

4.) Type "shutdown" (without quotes) and click finish.

5.) Right click on the new icon, select Properties, click the change icon button and select an appropriate icon.

RESTART ICON

2.) Select New>Shortcut.

3.) In the First box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type "shutdown -r -t 00" (without quotes). Click next.

4.) Type "restart" (without quotes) and click finish.

5.) Right click on the new icon, select Properties, click the change icon button and select an appropriate icon.

NOTE

Double clicking on these icons will commence shutdown or restart of the PC straight away without any warning. If you want a countdown before a shutdown or restart, substitute a time in seconds in place of the "00" entries in the shortcut properties above (e.g. "shutdown -s -t 10" (without quotes) gives 10 seconds warning before shutting down). Also note that once the shutdown or restart process begins it can't be aborted.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas too all!

Hibernate = shutdown.exe -h (for Vista, Windows 7)

Logoff = shutdown.exe -L

Mark

Edit: The correct shortcut for hibernate on XP is - rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetSuspendState

Edited by markcynt

Great Tip :clap: & :tup: , As seremina Asked, Hows About A Hibernate Button ?

=========================

Instead of clicking Start > turn off computer and selecting shutdown or restart, you can create desktop icons which automatically shutdown or restart your PC with just a double-click.

SHUTDOWN ICON

2.) Select new>shortcut.

3.) In the First box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type "shutdown -s -t 00" (without quotes). Click next.

4.) Type "shutdown" (without quotes) and click finish.

RESTART ICON

2.) Select New>Shortcut.

3.) In the First box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type "shutdown -r -t 00" (without quotes). Click next.

4.) Type "restart" (without quotes) and click finish.

NOTE

Double clicking on these icons will commence shutdown or restart of the PC straight away without any warning. If you want a countdown before a shutdown or restart, substitute a time in seconds in place of the "00" entries in the shortcut properties above (e.g. "shutdown -s -t 10" (without quotes) gives 10 seconds warning before shutting down). Also note that once the shutdown or restart process begins it can't be aborted.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas too all!

markcynt,

I Tried What You Said To Do, i.e "hibernate=shutdown.exe -h" (without the Quotation Marks)

& It No Work For Me.

Someone :h3lp: Me Please

Hibernate = shutdown.exe -h

Logoff = shutdown.exe -L

Mark

markcynt,

I Tried What You Said To Do, i.e "hibernate=shutdown.exe -h" (without the Quotation Marks)

& It No Work For Me.

Someone :h3lp: Me Please

Worked for me, you must be doing it wrong.

Here's a tutorial for Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/74022-hi...e-shortcut.html

Check "Related Links" for other shortcuts.

Mark

OMG,

I Tried It Manually, & It Failed Again From The Link That You Provided, i.e.

Then I "Downloaded" The Shortcut To Hibernate From The Vista Tutorial

( I'm Using "XP" ), & That As Well Didn't Frigging Work

& Thats When I Blurted Out "OMG"

Worked for me, you must be doing it wrong.

Here's a tutorial for Vista.

Check "Related Links" for other shortcuts.

Mark

My apologies, the shortcut does not work on XP. I haven't used XP in a long time. The correct shortcut is...

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetSuspendState

Hope it works for you.

Mark

Thanks MarkCynt, I'll Give That A Shot B)

My apologies, the shortcut does not work on XP. I haven't used XP in a long time. The correct shortcut is...

Hope it works for you.

Mark

:clap:

Outstanding, It Finally Works,

Instead Of :pullhair: & :cr@sh: The Crap Out Of My Comput

I Feel Like Having Me A :b33r: , or :b33r::b33r:

Which Might Make Me Feel Kinda :blink: & :snooze: & :sparkle: Eyed

Considering The Fact That Im A Recovering Alchoholic & Havent Drank Any :b33rmug: Or Alcohol

For 4 Yrs Now.....

Thanks Again Mark,

Russ

"09"

Hope it works for you.

Mark

Anyone having trouble finding the "restart" icon, here is a link to get it:

restart Icon

There is a Zip file in the last comment.

Works for XP not sure about vista??

Uh huh. Did as instructed, pc went into restart mode, then, when returning back to life brought up a screen sans icons. Problem was, and its my fault for not inquiring as to the Windows version the instructions were for, I'm using XP and it took me a frantic minute to fix the problem as nothing was operable from the mouse or keyboard.

In other words, frozen and for intents and purposes, crashed to the 9's.

Again; my fault for thinking that no one would publish data that could be harmful. Especially on a PC Pitstop board. And for someone who actually was awarded a financial prize for crashing me.

Actually registered just to respond to this situation, and am going to drop pc pitstop, all of its affiliations & products, and do my small part to spread the word that it's hazardous to one's computer health.

Thanks again

Fits

USMC E-8 (Retired)

PS

Can anyone tell me how to extricate myself from this mess?

Now when I Restart via the START function, the pc takes a ridiculously long time to reintroduce the icons when starting. Wallpaper comes on just as before, but the icons are forever in reappearing.

In a nutshell, it is no longer possible for me to click the "Restart" icon I created, OR do it from the old START position at all, as neither functions now.

Totally screwed my pc up bigtime.

Thanks

Edited by Fits

Hi Fits

Sorry to hear that you're going through this mess.

You probably already tried this, but if not, give System Restore a try. Find a good restore point before you took the action.

:) Y

btw, thank you for your service to our country :salute:

Fits, the shortcuts presented in this thread, or the programs they reference, cannot produce the symptoms you describe.  Their only actions are to invoke the native Windows functions for shutdown, restart, log off, etc.

I'm inclined to think you've picked up a virus infection or other malware.  The possibility is more likely if you tend to engage in online activities while logged on as a user with administrator's rights.

I concur that system restore is the first recovery tactic to try.