Sign in to follow this  
amd-rules

ubuntu problems... oh great.. help

got ubuntu burned onto a disc... got it put on my xp computer with 40gb hdd... the problem is when i boot the computer it ask me like which ubuntu to boot from... like ubuntu recovery mode and alot of other ones... so its confusing.. i got it to kinda work it loads thats one off the hdd then like goes to a screen thats blank for like ever... i got it to the login screen got my username and password in after that nothing happened i sat there and waited nothin happened... i dont know what to do i tried it a couple times... reinstall and everything... man oh man what do i do...

? I am confused, did you install or are you running the Live CD?

If it is the live cd, you should choose "Try Ubuntu Without Any Change To Your Computer"

Posted Image

Also, the live cd should not be asking for a username and password, it should boot directly to the desktop.

PLease advise as to what you have done beforehand.

It sounds to me like you've already installed and updated ubuntu?

So it's possible you are trying to boot a kernel that is no longer working.

Use the arrow keys to choose a kernel. (try the recovery modes first)

If you can't boot from any of them is there a windows entry you can boot to?

If you can't boot any of the entries in your GRUB menu use the Live CD.

Did everything run well from the live cd?

WTH? lets start from the beginning.. Did you download the live cd or the alternate install cd? Can you provide the filename of the .iso image you downloaded?

We need more concise information from you in order to help you.

okay. That should be the live cd. When you boot from the CD, do you see a screen like the one I posted above?

yup. Sounds like you did the installation and the install didnt complete. Perhaps a bad burn of the cd. You may try reinstalling, i have had that happen once and it turned out that the disk mad minor defects. There should also be an option to test the integrity of the disk on the boot screen.

If you are running a Live-CD then the size of hard drive does not matter.

I don't know why the ubuntu disc is not working, could be your hardware or the disc but I want to suggest this as an easy way to take a look at ubuntu.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Do you have any other linux Live-CDs you could try?

it has to be from a cd... the comp iam putting it on does not have a internet connection... the lan port does not work... so that option wont work... what do i do... i want it...

we can guess which hardware' or you can post the computers make and model !

at least we could use it as a reference and match the problems to known bugs or mistakes.

Sounds like a bad burn or an install that was cancelled.

I would re-download the .iso file (assuming a fast internet connection) and re-burn the .iso to CD. Then, re-install.

tried that man... i think now that i permanently damaged that computer with trying to put it on there.... and with ubuntu i think u cant try to add a different operating system over it.... i dont know what do to... i get to the login screen and put username and pw in and hit enter and nothin happens... i will take some pics here in a bit and let you guys know....

no, you didnt ruin a computer.. You can put whatever OS you want on there, just be sure to follow the directions next time :)

Just let us know what you want to do next, and we'll help you, but you gotta start writing your posts a bit more concisely...

Do you want to attempt Ubuntu again, or you want Windows back on it? If you choose to fix the Ubuntu installation, like it was posted before, download the .iso image again. When you boot from it the first time, ALWAYS check the integrity of the disk before installing. I think you had an error on the disk the first time.

i will have to take a pic... or what it shows me... when i boot the computer i have to hit f1... i get this screen with writing on it and like 7 different things on a little list to boot from... like ubuntu is kinda on there but not fully... its weird i will take a pic if u really need it... but i think i might try it again... i used cdburnerxp to burn it to a disc... i dont know what to do... what should i do?