Sign in to follow this  
jme122

Full Tests

I ran another set of full test after adjusting my system restore. Now it is telling me that I have 3 drivers that have updates. Concerned about udating drivers, have heard it sometimes can cause problems. I am not having any problems that I am aware of, should I update the drivers the Pc Pitstop recommend after I ran my full tests?

You should first locate the driver download and check the release notes to see why there is a newer driver.

If it is fixing a problem and you have not experienced the problem, then there is no need to update. If it is enabling new features and you do not have the hardware that would benefit, or they are not features you would use, then there is no need to update.

You should first locate the driver download and check the release notes to see why there is a newer driver.

If it is fixing a problem and you have not experienced the problem, then there is no need to update. If it is enabling new features and you do not have the hardware that would benefit, or they are not features you would use, then there is no need to update.

ok, thanks

I am not a computer geek here but I do rely upon PC to check my computer and I am down inthe bottom 18 percent , I do all the reccommended things my computer went to 22 percent and now after a week I went back to see how it compares and now it is saying I have 3 drivers I need to upgrade , it is the same drivers again and I am back down to 18 percent , I am baffled here and now I lost the page that I uploaded the free drivers for I have a Toshiba Laptop Satellite the 3 drivers it keeps saying I need to upgrade are network adapters , update sound and video , modem drivers , I even went to my comp and to device manager and went to update and it tells me that the ones here are what I need so why do I do now can you e mail me at Soberjulz at yahoo cause trust me I will never find my way back here

Edited by IntelGuy

:wp:

Please post an OverDrive link so that we can see what is taking place on your computer. You will need to register an account, login, and run the full tests from the link below, then copy and paste the URL from the results page into your reply:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

One thing the tests do is penalize for drivers even though the hardware manufacturer doesn't support it. This has been an ongoing issue which has never been resolved.

EG: I have the latest Realtek driver that Gigabyte supports for this motherboard, but I'm penalized for not having the latest driver that Realtek has available, even though it's not supported on my system.

EG-2: I just bought a new video card this week (HIS HD4850). Instead of installing drivers from the CD, I went directly to the ATI website and got the 8.1 Catalyst Software Suite. Now I get penalized for not having the latest ATI driver for the ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01, although there is nothing newer available from ATI.

So what I'm saying is that users need to take these results with a grain of salt. If your system is working fine, and you know you have the latest drivers that your hardware manufacturer provides, pay no attention to these test results. In fact, installing a driver that is not compatible with your hardware can cause serious problems. :)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=21240022

Edited by dark41

One thing the tests do is penalize for drivers even though the hardware manufacturer doesn't support it. This has been an ongoing issue which has never been resolved. ...

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the penalty you are referencing. The scoring was updated several months ago. Can you please point me to where you are seeing a penalty?

Thanks.

One thing the tests do is penalize for drivers even though the hardware manufacturer doesn't support it. This has been an ongoing issue which has never been resolved.

EG-2: I just bought a new video card this week (HIS HD4850). Instead of installing drivers from the CD, I went directly to the ATI website and got the 8.1 Catalyst Software Suite. Now I get penalized for not having the latest ATI driver for the ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01, although there is nothing newer available from ATI.

AA01

This is not a true ATI driver. It is a driver update (more or less) so that windows will use it properly.

You can get it from MS update.

And as far as that realtek drivers go, if it is for the chip set, it should work. But like other hardware

makers, they update drivers to work with most of there products, when you might not really need one.

(ie ; ATI latest 8.11, for a x1050. Not really needed.)

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the penalty you are referencing. The scoring was updated several months ago. Can you please point me to where you are seeing a penalty?

Thanks.

Sorry about not answering this sooner. "Penalty" is probably the wrong word as I don't see how it has an impact on the score. But you don't see the red X on the summary page for "Update Sound, Video and game controllers driver"? And when I follow the link or go to the drivers page, this is listed:

ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01 7/13/07

5.0.40001.9 8/26/08

5.10.0.5692 None None

Realtek High Definition Audio 9/19/07

5.10.0.5485 10/2/08

5.10.0.5713 None

It would lead one to believe there are newer drivers available. But the fact is that I had the latest drivers supplied by ATI and Gigabyte at that time (I haven't checked Gigabyte to see if they've updated since then or not). I did call my Gigabyte supplier to be sure, and the next day they called to assure me that Gigabyte does not support anything other than what is on their web site.

"This is not a true ATI driver. It is a driver update (more or less) so that windows will use it properly.

You can get it from MS update."

Where else you can get it from is not really the point. I believe I got it from ati.amd.com/support/ website. It's what they directed me to with the 48** series and I believe is included with the 8.1 Catalyst Software package. Otherwise it was an automatic update from Microsoft Update. Either way, it was the newest driver available at the time. So I'm not sure where PC Pitstop found a newer version (of course 8.11 Catalyst Software was released on 11/12/08).

But my point is that these red Xs can be a bit misleading. They seem to imply that your system is not up to date, which is not necessarily the case?

But my point is that these red Xs can be a bit misleading. They seem to imply that your system is not up to date, which is not necessarily the case?

I totally agree.