Sign in to follow this  
goedel

Planned obsolescence

Just an old fogie, I use my computer for the same purposes as when I bought it in 1999. I do not do photographics or other media challenges that demand high speed and large storage. I use email, read the news and forums, look at my financial accounts, search for information and word-process. I can do this well with my old Compaq 5070 and Win98 SE.

Certain influential software vendors, besides Microsoft, no longer consider my needs. Adobe is an example. Its flash players no longer work well on my system. I am told to upgrade! My response is to avoid web-sites that do not welcome me and my old computer. Why, I ask, should I spend over $500 on a new computer that has only a Vista op sys, especially now that I have read Vista has its problems?

For years, I have had to download fixes to Windows 98. I do not wish to buy a huge op sys, Vista, that requires me to have more hardware by a factor of 10 or more in size and speed.

I resent software companies and websites that do not support my old computer.

You may say: that is the price of progress. Well, I don't consider it progress when my needs have not changed, and I am told I must go to a computer with 3GHz CPU, 3GB RAM and a 250GB HD. If you want to sell me a new computer for email and for my other limited uses, think like a good engineer: economically! Sell the supercomputers to NASA not to me!

Better yet, ditch MS and go to Ubuntu. You can do all that for free. Some progress is only limited to how one takes a gander at it.

Edited by Maxst2

Better yet, ditch MS and go to Ubuntu. You can do all that for free. Some progress is only limited to how one takes a gander at it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have downloaded UBuntu onto a CD. I don't think it is self booting. I have two HD drives C,D. Would I be able to install in on my D drive without affecting C ?

Thanks!

even ubuntu has certain hardware requirements.

being on a 98 pc, you might get away with putting xp on it depending on the pc's specs, or at least W2K,

memory upgrades are cheap compared to what prices were just a few short years ago.

Also, you can easily build your own pc for less than $500.

even ubuntu has certain hardware requirements.

being on a 98 pc, you might get away with putting xp on it depending on the pc's specs, or at least W2K,

memory upgrades are cheap compared to what prices were just a few short years ago.

Also, you can easily build your own pc for less than $500.

Memory upgrades for an older system may not even be availabe? You can build a newer system. There are videos on the web on how to build your own computer. It isn't that difficult.

You might also speed up your system with software like ccleaner (free), and other cleaners. Even with a newer system junk accumulates on your system and slows it down. Myself, I google for answers for solutions to problems on the web.

I bought a Vista computer recently and encountered the slow system problem (caused partially by extra installed software). I just purchased a new system disk and reformatted my HD, etc. I also googled for information on how to speed up my Vista computer. It seems to be running fine now.

I am not an experienced computer builder but I never have to take any computer in for repair anymore.

In this case, I have to disagree that it is planned obsolescence, sorry. You, in my opinion, can't expect Microsoft (or anyone else for that matter--I believe the Pit has stopped supporting 98 in its testing) to support an OS that is over 10 years old. Techology just moves too fast for that. Think about how much you paid for your computer in 99; $500 now probably buys a computer that is what, roughly 10x times better, true?

Are you still driving a car/vehicle that is 10 year old? If not, what did that upgrade cost you, honestly? Is your car 10x better and cost less?

You need a new computer.

:)

Edited by flyfishingrules2

I have worked on fewer and fewer Windows 98se machines but they're still out there, people squeezing whatever life they can still get out of them. You can still make 98se work in todays world but it requires upgrades and plenty of research. Adobe still makes flash & shockwave available for the older operating systems but they don't make it easy for you to find. There's even an "Unofficial Windows 98se Service Pack" available for download although I'd only install it on a fresh copy of 98se. With reasearch you can find alternative tools/utilities to use with 98se, as I said before they won't be easy to find, but they're out there. Oldapps.com, Oldversion.com, FileHippo.com, all of them provide older versions of apps you can use with 98se. I would definitely max out the memory, whatever the computer is capable of handling, but before you spend a whole bunch of $$$ on it, I'd weigh that against the cost of building yourself one from scratch. At Newegg you can find everything you need to build your very own computer, with Windows XP as the operating system (I personally wouldn't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole, even though I work on them I don't want it on my computer), and you can find whatever help you might need to build it right here.

Just my .02 cents worth, -kd5-

i have ancient pc's running fantastic linux distributions with 32 megs of ram with firefox 3 and flash 10, they are internet pc's, loaded with openoffice and various server applications.

their is a way to have something small and run up to date software, i do it all the time ;)

(I personally wouldn't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole, even though I work on them I don't want it on my computer), and you can find whatever help you might need to build it right here.

Just my .02 cents worth, -kd5-

I wouldn't touch it if I didn't have the "perfect" build for it. That meaning OEM Computers with it already installed.

kd5, build your own. I would bet that you might even enjoy it ;)

kd5, build your own. I would bet that you might even enjoy it ;)

Already did Jacee (and one for my wife too), happily running Windows XP Home (tweaked) and loving every minute of it... :) -kd5-

The only problem with that, kd5, is the fact that XP will eventually stop being supported, and end up like Windows 98. It will be a perfectly usable platform, but with less and less application support as it fades into obscurity.

Then, your only hope is to hope ReactOS becomes stable & well supported before that happens, upgrade to a newer version of Windows, or use Linux.

And while I am at it, I figure I'll include an obligatory "I hate Internet Explorer" bit in my post, since it seems to be very effective at getting a :rolleyes: smiley out of you.

Edited by brandon

Already did Jacee (and one for my wife too), happily running Windows XP Home (tweaked) and loving every minute of it... :) -kd5-

Why would you tweak it, if it's such a good OS? On a similar note, why not tweak Vista?

yep, tweak it, clean it, maintenance it, then do the same thing all over again' and again :P

out of that whole time you probably played a game or two' listened to music, maybe browsed your email and some web pages until you get to clean it some more, yep' it keeps you on the ball, get real work done :lol:

Why would you tweak it, if it's such a good OS? On a similar note, why not tweak Vista?

I tweak every OS I get my hands on. I've even tweaked Vista, still don't like it. -kd5-

The only problem with that, kd5, is the fact that XP will eventually stop being supported, and end up like Windows 98. It will be a perfectly usable platform, but with less and less application support as it fades into obscurity.

So will Vista... :shrug:

People are still using Windows 98, 10 years later. Figure I have a little time before XP fades into obscurity... :) -kd5-

actually its a different kernel, the graphical interface is somewhat similar but with much more bling :lol:

the market for vista was horrid for ms, it is likely the next version will degrade shares, it is inevitable .

vista will probably go down in history along side with M.E. short lived and can't wait to be ignored

it will be a failure as it is, a loss on them.

people these days are wiser and understand what is best for them, ms never anticipated this, i think they still don't, this will result in multiple failures because you can only take advantage for so long.