Sign in to follow this  
mmanya

Adaware 6 Vs. Spybot S & D

AdAware 6 vs. Spybot S&D

As I was performing routine PC maintenance for my cousin's office last week, I came across one PC that had some spyware bits installed, so I decided to use the opportunity to see how the new AdAware 6 compared directly to Spybot S&D. I actually believed that AdAware 6 would do an adequate job, but I did expect a couple of differences in items detected. The two products won't ever be identical in detections, but what I found was truly shocking and reaffirms my support for Spybot S&D.

AdAware found 64 items including over 30 items that were installed by BrilliantDigital, but they had long since been removed, and remained within the System Restore areas of the hard drive. I really don't like any applications monkeying with the System Restore data. That's meant to be a snapshot of a known working configuration, and with the nature of spyware, removing one thing could break another, poisoning a potentially valuable System Restore snapshot. I'd prefer that it left well enough alone in this case. It's not active, so there's little danger in leaving it there. Now, on to what AdAware 6 missed:

New.net Uninstaller

DownloadWare - 6 registry entries and a directory

Cydoor - 2 registry entries

CommonName - Temporary Directory

Commission Junction - cookie

NewsUpdate: 5 registry entries and a directory

PromulGate: directory

Save Now - 2 registry entries

AdAware 6 was much more sensitive to cookies, flagging 22 versus S&D's 8, but they are the least threatening as far as real spyware is concerned. Coupled with the 32 system restore files, there were only 10 items that AdAware 6 picked up otherwise, whereas S&D identified 67 additional entries that posed a much greater potential threat. I truly expected more from AdAware given the number of months they had the world on hold while they worked on the new version. The fancy new interface is cute and all, but I'd much rather have S&D's rough GUI edges and far better detection.

©1996-2003, Lockergnome

This may not apply to you Mary,,but if you have any restore folders with either program,,its possible for one program to detect the other!!

I always "purge" spybot after each scan unless it finds a registry entry,,then I save it a while longer :) v

Thanks for the info. Volt.

A question - why do you ( and others ) advise to delete only the red items in Spybot ? What is the potential harm in deleting the lists in green ?

When I first installed it , I did delete all that was found with no problems, but, after reading repeatedly here about NOT doing that, I stopped ...

Mary,, with spybot only delete what is prechecked and in red,,the other things can kill your machine or a program,,you just need to highlight those and it will tell ya what its connected with on a popup info panel.

Also remember to "purge" the files that are backed up after they are no longer needed!!! :) v

Your very welcome,,I wish everyone would ask questions like that before they mess something up!!! :mrgreen: v

Volt, I must have missed it in the Help files and the instructions: would you please tell me how to 'purge' after Spybot is finished detecting? Thank you.

Hi!! hit the recovery button,,then at the bottom hit the "purge selected recovery" button!! and that should cover ya!! :) v

Thanks Volt

I was just going to ask that same question , I just can't tell you all how much help this forum is to me . I am so happy I found people that know so much about computers that are willing to share what they know and don't make fun of people about things they may not know about computers. and again , thank you all for all your help :)

have a nice day..

houmamiss and marty,,

Your both very welcome,,all the regulars on this site are very happy to help anyone who asks.

We do get a bad apple in here every now and again,,but we try and weed them out as much as possible.

Its always better to ask what might seem like a trivial question to some,,than break your machine!! :mrgreen:

Ya both have a great night and surf safe!! :) v

Yeah no question, use both, and keep both updated. Adaware missed a wide open dialer on a computer i fixed just the other day that i knew was on the system. Spybot didnt. However Spybot misses some as well , so just use them both as team and not worry so much which one is better.

Thanks for the info on purging. I didn't know that either. I use Ad-aware on one machine and Spybot on the other. I love these forums, they've been so helpful.

Start adaware up and click on the open quarantine list.

Highlight the entries you want to get rid of and then use the delete button.

Don't do this untill your sure that everything is ok tho. :) v