Sign in to follow this  
ReecoSuave

Spybot Search & Destroy Vs Malwarebytes Vs Adaware

So i decided to test Spybot, Malwarebytes free and AdAware free with firefox. I just did a fresh install of windows xp and downloaded all 3 programs 30 minutes prior to this post. I ran the programs individually using full scan instead of smart scan. After going to some sites i know have spyware cookies i decided to do a full scan with each without removing or quarentine any of the spyware they would come up with, just to see which ones would catch what. All three programs have been downloaded from http://www.download.com

I ran an updated all three programs with the latest definitions and ran a full scan with them all.

results

Spybot detected 12 problems

2x AdRevolver Tracking Cookies

3x DoubleClick Tracking Cookies

2x FastClick Tracking Cookies

1x MediaPlex Tracking Cookies

3x TradeDoubler Tracking Cookies

1x Zedo Tracking Cookie

Malwarebytes detected 0 problems

AdAware detected 14 tracking cookies

(I couldn't get the names of the cookies using AdAware free version)

It seems like good ol' AdAware and Spybot are still performing better than Malwarebytes. Maybe Firefox isn't supported?. For now i think i will stick to what works.

Edited by ReecoSuave

All three are great programs, I don't think running a fresh install and going to a few places is giving Malware a fare chance, try running the program after a few days or even a few weeks. Also limiting yourself to just a couple of programs is not a great idea, as there are so many new variants coming out all the time it is impossible for one program to be updated to the minuet.

Let's not forget about the specific on line removal tools as well.

Bear

I don't believe that MBam detects 'tracking cookies'. It is one heck of a good malware catcher, though!

SuperAntispyware detects tracking cookies.

Yes online scanners are really good

Kaspersky

Housecall

Panda

are just a few to name

Edited by mme

:tup:

So i decided to test Spybot, Malwarebytes free and AdAware free with firefox. I just did a fresh install of windows xp and downloaded all 3 programs 30 minutes prior to this post. I ran the programs individually using full scan instead of smart scan. After going to some sites i know have spyware cookies i decided to do a full scan with each without removing or quarentine any of the spyware they would come up with, just to see which ones would catch what. All three programs have been downloaded from http://www.download.com

I ran an updated all three programs with the latest definitions and ran a full scan with them all.

results

Spybot detected 12 problems

2x AdRevolver Tracking Cookies

3x DoubleClick Tracking Cookies

2x FastClick Tracking Cookies

1x MediaPlex Tracking Cookies

3x TradeDoubler Tracking Cookies

1x Zedo Tracking Cookie

Malwarebytes detected 0 problems

AdAware detected 14 tracking cookies

(I couldn't get the names of the cookies using AdAware free version)

It seems like good ol' AdAware and Spybot are still performing better than Malwarebytes. Maybe Firefox isn't supported?. For now i think i will stick to what works.

Not a very accurate way to check malware IMHO, install win antivirus 2008 on your pc and then see which anti-malware program works best to remove that