Sign in to follow this  
markcynt

The UAC Tool We've All Been Waiting For

It's still in Beta but I've been using it without problems. It works exactly like UAC with the secure desktop but has an option to "Don't ask me again" so you won't see the same prompt for the same program twice.

It's from Norton Labs. This is something Symantec appears to have done right.

Download link.

Mark

Microsoft also admits that it was a mistake to make UAC that aggressive. Anyone that knows anything about computer safety can use this tool without problems.

Anyone that doesn't know anything about computer safety is going to end up with a compromised system anyway so it's a no-brainer as far as I'm

concerned.

I see this as an alternative to turning off UAC altogether, which many people do thanks to the ridiculous amount of prompts.

It's also widely known that many users just keep clicking allow to everything due to the sheer amount of prompts. Maybe with this they'll pay more attention.

This is the way M$ should have done it in the first place.

Mark

I think you're unlucky. I love using it.

I have no fix or suggestion. They have a forum dedicated to the tool but I saw no issues as bad as yours.

Mark

I have mixed feelings on this, only installed it an hour ago after a fresh install, and for the most part it does all I want, all my protection and maintenance now loads without bother, the only thing I have noticed is that blocked start up programs are not covered as such, OK the UAC seems to be sorted, but I was hoping it would also cover the blocked start up programs like Secunia, but alas no, but apart from that it's very handy from a sanity point of view.

I get around blocked startup programs by using Task Scheduler to start them. I use this method for CoreTemp and a few other programs.

1. Remove the program from the Startup folder or the Run registry key

2. Launch the Task Scheduler

3. From the Actions panel on the right, select Create Task...

4. Give the task a description

5. Go to the Security Options on the General tab

6. Select an user account with administrative privileges

7. Select the radio button Run only when user is logged on

8. Check the box Run with highest privileges

9. Go to the Triggers tab and click New...

10. In Begin the task, select At log on

11. In the Settings options, select All users

12. In the Advanced Settings options, check the box Enabled

13. Click OK to close the dialog

14. Go to the Actions tab and click New...

15. For Action, select Start a program

16. In the Settings options, browse for the Program/Script you want to execute on startup

17. Click OK to close the dialog

18. Go to the Settings tab

19. Check the box Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed

20. Uncheck the box Stop the task if it runs longer than

21. Click OK to save and close the task properties

Mark

Yeah I knew about that option, just did it on the nightmare build I've finally finished doing, problem is it actually launches the program, so you have to close it so it drops to the task bar, unless I missed an option somewhere, Thanks for the suggestion though. :b33r:

What if you right-click on the shortcut, go to the shortcut tab and choose run minimized?

Maybe there is such an option in the program's settings.

Mark

Makes no difference, main program listing does not give the option, but under the shortcut I set to minimised but it still loads fully, I swear I'm cursed or something when it comes to my own system lol, Thanks for the thought though.

I am enormously skeptical of this product for two reasons:

First, it's a Norton product, which tend to be very poor in my estimation.

Second, it's a third party application which modifies an essential component of the OS's security. It seems like it's begging to be exploited somehow.

And Window's version isn't? I've been using this for about a month now and have had no problems whatsoever.

I'll take this over Vista's UAC 8 days out of 7.

The Norton part concerned me at first too. I'm not afraid to try new things. To me it's just a computer. Go for it.

Mark

Window's version isn't what?

Exploited.... :rolleyes: Edited by Tx Redneck

Thanks Tx Redneck. My point bg1256, is that UAC will get exploited before Norton's UAC Tool does. For me it makes Vista much easier to use since I'm constantly making changes to my system.

Even for a simple thing like looking at the Reliability and Performance Monitor brings up a UAC prompt. It's ridiculous. Even Linux systems do not require this many prompts. M$ blew it with UAC.

Mark

They didn't blow it with UAC - they blew it with how it is implemented. UAC is, imo, a step in the right direction for Windows security. However, the amount of prompting specifically has made it feel restrictive rather than secure, if not down right annoying.

They didn't blow it with UAC - they blew it with how it is implemented. UAC is, imo, a step in the right direction for Windows security. However, the amount of prompting specifically has made it feel restrictive rather than secure, if not down right annoying.

Yes UAC is a step in the right direction and if I heard correctly, they will be making it more user friendly in Windows7.

Mark

Unfortunately, by-passing the UAC control and knowing how to activate the 'real' Admin account is all over the net in "How to"....

Take a look at the Hijackthis forums on any related malware forums :thud:

Yes, it's a terrible nuisance, and that's why we are still seeing malware even on Vista machines :hammer:

Users want what they want, but they have no idea how to protect themselves from the badware that comes along with their so called freedom.

Uninformed or maybe ---> stupid is, as stupid does.

Users want what they want

From what I've seen at the HJT forums, if you exclude the script related malware like XP Antivirus 2008, XP Antivirus 2009, and XPAntivirus, 99% of the problems are directly related to the user and there's nothing that UAC can do for that. I can't believe how many repeat offenders are in the HJT forum.

For users that want to be protected it can work. Some simply don't care.

Mark

IMHO it's all down to education, in it's simplest terms that is, UAC (the concept) is great, but it's physical working leaves much room for improvement, Norton's tool is a great step in the right direction, had no issues at all with it, BUT, people do need to know what they are allowing and denying before they blindly click away due to annoyance, you need to identify each process before granting permission or restricting it, unfortunately by the nature of life many wont have time to research each request before clicking, as a result they often grant access to things that should not be, this is the greatest battle TBH.