Sign in to follow this  
dragnmastr85

Using a laptop to completely control a desktop wirelessly

Ok here's what I want to accomplish. I want to use my desktop from another room using a laptop or something similar to a laptop. I have a laptop I can use and Im willing to buy some sort of equipment. I dont want "remote access" or anything like that. I want to USE my desktop from another device in the same building. Essentially just making a monitor keyboard and mouse completely wireless and usable like a laptop. Any ideas?

a touch wall is the only thing i can think of' i do not know if its practical for what you are wanting to do considering its a very expensive setup.

Posted Image

wait' i think if you have a network you can control multiple pc's with a laptop, i just can't remember the name of the software, i do know it was developed by microsoft.

good luck :)

I made it pretty clear I didnt want remote access. That does not allow me to utilize the HARDWARE of the host PC. I just want video keyboard and mouse to be wireless in a laptop-like package to use in a commom area of my "host" pc. Thanks though.

Home server would be remote access. Windows Remote Assistance is remote access as well. I am not trying to ACCESS my files remotely. I am trying to utilize the computer without software aid using a wireless device of some sort. Something stand alone. I am not looking for software at all. It would be a peice of hardware that connect to my computer through a network or RF in the same building and uses the HOST's hardware to carry out functions. I am not interested in remote access software at all.

It sounds like you are looking for a remote keyboard-mouse-display setup (using, in your example, a laptop as the keyboard-mouse-display proxy). This would require special hardware at the "desktop" end of your "link" that doesn't exist today. Not to say that you couldn't design it, just that there isn't a product today that does this that I am aware of. The reason is that Windows Remote Desktop gives you essentially what you are asking for for free (it's already part of the OS).

But, I admit that maybe I am misunderstanding what you want/need. Perhaps if you give an example of what you are trying to accomplish, we could provide more appropriate assistance.

It sounds like you are looking for a remote keyboard-mouse-display setup (using, in your example, a laptop as the keyboard-mouse-display proxy). This would require special hardware at the "desktop" end of your "link" that doesn't exist today. Not to say that you couldn't design it, just that there isn't a product today that does this that I am aware of. The reason is that Windows Remote Desktop gives you essentially what you are asking for for free (it's already part of the OS).

But, I admit that maybe I am misunderstanding what you want/need. Perhaps if you give an example of what you are trying to accomplish, we could provide more appropriate assistance.

That is exactly what I want to accomplish. The main reason why I want it so particular is so I can make use of my video card in a short range portable way. I want to be able to play graphic intensive games and work on CAD away from my office room and in another room in the building if need be. Thanks for reading what I said. Ill keep my eyes out. I searched for a wireless port replicator too and toshiba designs them for like 3 of their laptops but thats about it. and it costs 500 dollars.

Will windows remote assistance allow me to use the host's computers hardware if I launch a program from within it. Can the host be vista and the remote be xp?

Does your boss approve of this playing games during office hours

Our office is wireless and its not secured.....

so in the evening for those who dont have access to internet or high speed they drive up with there laptops and and get access that way

but they are not employees and its not during office hours

Im not sure what your office policy about chatting and playing games during work hours are

the touch wall and bluetooth mouse and keyboard, some bluetooth adapters have a range of 30 foot or more.

if i am not mistaken they make bluetooth joypads.

edit: the only problem is you would need to disable and enable devices that have this control in device manager, this way you will not need to plug or unplug devices.

Edited by duanester

Will windows remote assistance allow me to use the host's computers hardware if I launch a program from within it. Can the host be vista and the remote be xp?

It's not Windows remote assistance that you want. If I understand correctly, you want to be logged into the remote machine to use its hardware. I think Windows "Remote Desktop" would suit your needs, but you should experiment to see. The remote computer needs to be running at least XP Pro to have the server for Remote Desktop. What you get is the display exported to your local machine and your local machine mouse and keyboard take the place of the remote machine mouse and keyboard. You are actually logged into the remote machine.

It's not Windows remote assistance that you want. If I understand correctly, you want to be logged into the remote machine to use its hardware. I think Windows "Remote Desktop" would suit your needs, but you should experiment to see. The remote computer needs to be running at least XP Pro to have the server for Remote Desktop. What you get is the display exported to your local machine and your local machine mouse and keyboard take the place of the remote machine mouse and keyboard. You are actually logged into the remote machine.

That is exactly what I would want. The weird comment about "playing games in the office" aside, I think remote desktop sounds good. Is remote desktop possible in a LAN environment where I have computers set up as static local IPs instead of dynamic IP addressing? Is it possible to take advantage of this feature off the LAN on a wireless network elsewhere? The host PC would be windows vista and the local machine would be running XP. Can you point me to a guide where I could set this up? As long as I can make use of the hosts PC's hardware through another device (which in this case would be one of my laptops) this solution seems perfect. Thanks for your help!

Is remote desktop possible in a LAN environment where I have computers set up as static local IPs instead of dynamic IP addressing?

Yes and is probably recommended for easy shortcut creation.

Is it possible to take advantage of this feature off the LAN on a wireless network elsewhere?

Depends on what elsewhere means. On the same subnet (or router the host is on ) then the answer is yes

The host PC would be windows vista and the local machine would be running XP. Can you point me to a guide where I could set this up?

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...cc61e61033.mspx

ALSO:

You cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Basic N, ...

windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/02ddfbec-7a97-4788-9d54-86f174a95f841033.mspx

If the host was XP Pro it would work great. Especially on a wireless N speed or a Gigabit switch and hardwire with gigabit adapters You woul almost think you were sitting at the host.

I do remote VPN thru the internet to a server over 70 miles away and even then it is very good but it does lose a lot of graphics quality like video streaming so for playing a game i would recommend the gigabit setup.

Unfortunately there is the little Vista issue see the links above..

I just set it up and it is working great so far. CAD runs good. Its a bit slow but thats probably because I have all the NICs set to wireless B instead of G. Ill switch that at some point most likely. Cant get Warhammer Online to run but I think that might be because of the resolution. If I open it sitting at the host and then log on remotely I can see the game but it refreshes very slowly. Might be the resolution though. Ill keep you guys updated. If I set up a VPN would I be able to connect from an entirely different network?

If I set up a VPN would I be able to connect from an entirely different network?

Thats what VPN is for. Some security issues though I use Cisco Routers or ASA's but they are $$$$. You also would need static IP's from the ISP's on both ends. SonicFirewall has VPN configuration and there are some other solutions to VPN on the net.

Glad to hear of your success remember that faster network speed equals better quality.

Curious: which version of VISTA is hosting the remote desktop??

I just set it up and it is working great so far. CAD runs good. Its a bit slow but thats probably because I have all the NICs set to wireless B instead of G. Ill switch that at some point most likely. Cant get Warhammer Online to run but I think that might be because of the resolution. If I open it sitting at the host and then log on remotely I can see the game but it refreshes very slowly. Might be the resolution though. Ill keep you guys updated. If I set up a VPN would I be able to connect from an entirely different network?

Wireless B will certainly not be fast enough for what you are trying to achieve, even G might stutter occasionally if there is other network activity.

Wired network with a gigabit switch and network cards would remedy the problem.

Windows remote desktop is also probably the worst of the available solutions available.

FreeNX, VNC, Microsoft's terminal server..........would all be much better solutions.

Im running vista ultimate on the host. Unfortunately going wired would sort of defeat the purpose of what I would want to do. I know the router can broadcast in G. I don't know if the laptop can pick up G. And I would need to replace my B card in the desktop with a G card.

Can you tell me a little bit more about those other options?

It turns out all the devices Im running are already on wireless G. They are all running at 54Mbps. Thats G if my memory serves me correctly. B was 11Mbps yes? So I have it set on G. Everything is generally pretty slow and takes a long time to refresh. Any suggestions?

Im also using VNC right now. it seems to run a bit better than remote desktop.

Only wireless recourse I can think of that is affordable would be to upgrade the router and wireless cards to the wireless N level.

Like Bruce and I have said... for graphics to work half decent it needs to be gigabit fast..... I don't know of any gigabit fast wireless....yet

Home server would be remote access. Windows Remote Assistance is remote access as well. I am not trying to ACCESS my files remotely. I am trying to utilize the computer without software aid using a wireless device of some sort. Something stand alone. I am not looking for software at all. It would be a peice of hardware that connect to my computer through a network or RF in the same building and uses the HOST's hardware to carry out functions. I am not interested in remote access software at all.

Do I understand correctly that you only want to use the hardware capabilities of your desktop (high-end), using files and software on your so-so laptop. Or in other words, having RF links between the HD/keyboard/monitor/mouse on your laptop and ram / processor on the desktop?

Zoef