Sign in to follow this  
duanester

great router tip, usb modem or dialup

got a usb modem with no ethernet on it, or a dialup connection, or even a phone as modem ?

well if you have a router that is useless because of the type of connection you use two simple steps to network all computers in your home.

first thing, make sure security is enabled and you know the encryption key because the host computer cannot access router after the setup.

once all that is done plug the ethernet cable into the routers wan port' then insert the other end into the on

board ethernet adapter on your pc, you will see a limited or no connectivity warning, ignore this for now.

Posted Image

now open my network connections, right click the connection for dialup or phone as modem, hit properties, hit advanced tab, under internet connection sharing check the box (allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection, in the drop down menu select your ethernet device.

example

http://www.itsyourpc.org/duane/files/tip.JPG

once done hit ok, now the limited or no connectivity warning you get will go away and you can attempt to connect from a wireless pc.

i will add more to this tip later as needed :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04/09/2009

edited: to add additional information for alternative platforms, with the hardware steps above and ubuntu linux.

this is very simple with ubuntu, simply right click the network adapters icon and hit edit connection..

in the network dialog highlight eth1 then click edit button.

click IPv4 settings tab.

change from automatic (DHCP) to "shared to all computers"

click ok and your done, no reboot required and you will have internet access on all wireless computers.

Edited by duanester

notice the two connections in my task bar and dialogs !

Posted Image

this connection was setup using my phone as modem which is a usb device.

other computers on my network can see and connect to my router and share the internet connection from my cell phone :tup:

i am uncertain as for caps............

i have unlimited data, its fast enough, seems similar to dsl except i can go anywhere :tup:

one down side is moving around, speeds can go lower or higher if i get to far from a cell for example, some claimed of getting dialup speeds, i never experienced that.

soon all that will change anyway, 4g network is coming soon

............ I have unlimited data, its fast enough, seems similar to dsl e....

ohhhh please please help..... :h3lp: been at this for hmmmm... 15 hours now trying to get this to work. :pullhair:

I probably got so many settings on the puters wrong now its could all be screwed up. :surrender: But deesssperately need to get acess to USB Verizon modem thru gateway so other computers can get online.

I have desktop Win XP Pro called Acro- does not like lot of USB activity. locks up the puter and I need it to run biz software

Laptop called Ltop- used at work, home, on the road, and for telephony (magic jack) (might be best as gateway? but would want it easily to configure it off gateway for single use away from work and at home) also this has personal stuff on it.

*Desktop with Ubuntu called Leo, in another room for merchandise sales online. Super important to get this online cause its big sales time of year. Well as big as this tiny biz goes. Have Ubuntu cause its free. Sales too small to pay for win XP. No XP cause HD died. Scrap old 15gb HD in it now

pleaseee help me get this all set up. :cr@sh::unsure:B) This is the only discussion I have found that sounds real and not hypothetical about this actually working. Belkin says its impossible. Verzon won't discuss it.

Furthest I got was router was visable by all puters (gateway was Acro at the time; dumb move) but none but gateway could see the internet. Could not see shared drives either. Nor did some Ping attemps connect.

. ISP Verizon cellular broadband- USB Verizon USB card- when I leave for evening this goes with me. Which is ok... I own the biz, arrive first leave last.

. Router-older G Belkin eathernet router w/jack for eathernet modum. NO USB port.

. one USB G reciver unit.

. 25ft of cat 5 eathernet cable (might reach into room with Leo)

. 2 shorter cat 5 eathernet cables. (Ltop and Acro can be close in working office. *Someday will put another wireless in Ltop)

. Magic Jack- needs to be on gateway computer. Can't afford signal loss thru router. (assuming using one puter as gateway is best route to go)

NOTE: Ltop- need Hardwire this to network or replace wireless card in Laptop due to known bugs with this model's oem wireless card (HP Compaq nc6220- wireless button issue unresolved by HP nationwide). Had it eathernet cable linked from router during the trial and errors of this adventure.

Edited by coachgeo

once the main pc is setup and ICS is enabled and the main pc is connected to the wan port on your router, connecting to the router is a walk in the park as demonstrated above.

please explain the steps then we will figure what went wrong !

no rush' we will get this all setup over time :)

....please explain the steps then we will figure what went wrong !

no rush' we will get this all setup over time :)

honestly think that with the lockups happening again on Acro after hooking USB modem to it and surfing alot looking for answers... I need to just start over and hook the modem to either Leo the Linux or the Ltop.

This dictates starting all over.

sooo open to suggestions... Leo or Ltop??

Edited by coachgeo

the main computer has to function properly in order to provide such services

understood. I'm on Ltop now with modem in USB port. no real changes done to it but get it looking for network teathered to Acro. Most all dicking around was with Acro. It works fine too. Just needs protecting better by shutting off all the share stuff I turned on.

Leo... didnt change anything there really accept to look for belkin router ... it found it easy.

oh.... and free Avast and free zone alarm as the net bug zapers and protection squad on the windows units. Nothing on Leo the Linux (questions about that later)

running opera has kept me rather virus free since everything likes to attack windows IE

Leo has Mozella obviously

Edited by coachgeo

are the dns fields empty under connection properties ?

right clicking the adapter and hitting properties, click tcp/ip then properties would reveal the dns dialog !

is it empty ?

are the dns fields empty under connection properties ?

connection properties of what puter and what adapter do you reccomend we start at. All have Eathernet connections BTW.

If you think I can keep seperate a personal area in the Ltop locked out of any sharing I think our best bet might be to set it up as the gateway.

Sound good?

in network network connections

right click the adapter and hit properties

Posted Image

Edited by duanester

if easier I have msn messenger or free phone calls with magic jack

messenger is

coachgeo AT hotmail DOT .... you know the rest

I will write a report of our shenanagans so other members can learn. Thats important part of a board like this...

great news, this means there is a great chance your system is malware free.

now lets get down to business

you know the security settings, as you know' you cannot connect to the router setup page after the pc is plugged in the wan port !

security must be set prior to that from wired lan connection #1 on the router..........

what happens when you connect the machine to the wan port on your router, what did you do next

setting this up on different puter now.

tried wan port a few times on other puter but only after i had set up with it NOT in Wan port. Belkin and other discussions on this said no go... don't use wan port.... which made no since to me.

Right now it is all disconnected and we are basically fresh start on the lap top becoming Gateway

oh.... and I never new how to get to a router setup page anyway. Could only set things up thru windows network setup programs. I tried it with CD from Belkin too though. It never found the USB modem as an option for internet access... only found Acro's eathernet card and the phone modem onboard