Sign in to follow this  
hrw3go

Multi-display question

Hello everyone,

I am building an enclosed home cockpit. One of the things I am planning to do is to incorporate a 3 display setup. Since most games do not support multi displays, and the few that do only support dual set-ups, I've been thinking my best option is the TripleHead2Go.

Has anyone used the TripleHead2Go? What are your thoughts?

Also, in reading what I've been able to about it, I've picked up something no one is elaborating too much on that may be a problem. I've read that one of the drawbacks is the very short cable that is supplied.

To use this, I'll need around a 10' stretch of cable. I think the supplied cable is 2'. Is there some kind of extension I could use?

Thanks so much.

Hello everyone,

I am building an enclosed home cockpit. One of the things I am planning to do is to incorporate a 3 display setup. Since most games do not support multi displays, and the few that do only support dual set-ups, I've been thinking my best option is the TripleHead2Go.

Has anyone used the TripleHead2Go? What are your thoughts?

Also, in reading what I've been able to about it, I've picked up something no one is elaborating too much on that may be a problem. I've read that one of the drawbacks is the very short cable that is supplied.

To use this, I'll need around a 10' stretch of cable. I think the supplied cable is 2'. Is there some kind of extension I could use?

Thanks so much.

I have a dual set up myself, with the ability to install 2 more monitors (4 in total)

However I do not use any sort of box or converter, I have 2 SLI compatible video cards.

The TripleHead seems like a good idea if your Desktop or Laptop only has 1 video port. Otherwise it seems like it's an additonal power hog from the computers resources. Even with 2 Monitors installed the games that do have the dual setup have the option in video settings and I can have the game stretched across the two. I guess for me, the 250-300 retail the box costs isn't worth it to me when that money can be spent on video cards or monitors to configure. Just my 2 cents.

I have a dual set up myself, with the ability to install 2 more monitors (4 in total)

However I do not use any sort of box or converter, I have 2 SLI compatible video cards.

The TripleHead seems like a good idea if your Desktop or Laptop only has 1 video port. Otherwise it seems like it's an additonal power hog from the computers resources. Even with 2 Monitors installed the games that do have the dual setup have the option in video settings and I can have the game stretched across the two. I guess for me, the 250-300 retail the box costs isn't worth it to me when that money can be spent on video cards or monitors to configure. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Mechm24...

But my card already supports dual displays and has double ports. However, I'm looking to run at least 3 displays. I could do that by dropping another whopping $500 + to go SLI and even then only be able to play the couple or so game titles that natively support just a dual setup (aside from tweaking a few others while dealing with major issues from what I read).

To my understanding (which is beginner), the thing about the Triplehead2go is that it is not a resource drain as the only thing it is doing is telling your card that the three monitors are just one monitor with a really high resolution that it splits to the three like so:

Hence the ability for even a laptop to use it. This also allows the software that comes with it to make a fairly large list of games (even titles like oblivion, crysis, etc) now able to be on 3 displays

http://www.ubisoft.de/gc-2006/sponsor/Matr...pieleliste.html

Once again, I'm not an expert, but that's what I'm gathering so far.... missing something?

Since it's interface between the computer and the monitors the length of cable provided with it shouldn't be an issue. Reason it shouldn't be an issue is that your monitor cables should be able to reach it without a problem.

Since it's interface between the computer and the monitors the length of cable provided with it shouldn't be an issue. Reason it shouldn't be an issue is that your monitor cables should be able to reach it without a problem.

Cool... thanks mouse.

As things stand now, though, the pit I am building will require more cable (about eight feet) than either the device or the monitor cables provide. And I remember some line in one of the articles that the cables are made these lengths because longer ones kill the video signal quality or something. Would this be an issue with the length I need? If not, is there a simple monitor cable extension I could pick up to run from my three monitors (on one side of the pit) to the the device and computer setup (the other side of the pit) ???

Cool... thanks mouse.

As things stand now, though, the pit I am building will require more cable (about eight feet) than either the device or the monitor cables provide. And I remember some line in one of the articles that the cables are made these lengths because longer ones kill the video signal quality or something. Would this be an issue with the length I need? If not, is there a simple monitor cable extension I could pick up to run from my three monitors (on one side of the pit) to the the device and computer setup (the other side of the pit) ???

There are 2 TripleHeads that I see one with DVI and one with VGA connections. So to extend you would simply need to buy a longer VGA or DVI cable. Not really extension just longer cords.

There are 2 TripleHeads that I see one with DVI and one with VGA connections. So to extend you would simply need to buy a longer VGA or DVI cable. Not really extension just longer cords.

Rock n roll...

Yeah I'm sure I'll be getting the DVI version of the Triplehead2go... so if that won't kill the feed quality then I'll just buy some long DVI cables.

The only question is which monitors to get - http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=160708

Average monitor cable length is 6 feet I think I have seen 10 foot cables. As to signal drop over length don't think that's problem until you exceed 10 feet. They use say printer cables couldn't be over 6 feet but I always used 10 foot cables without a problem. If the cable is made in other than default length then it will work. Wouldn't recommend a cable extension but rather a cable of the length you need.

Average monitor cable length is 6 feet I think I have seen 10 foot cables. As to signal drop over length don't think that's problem until you exceed 10 feet. They use say printer cables couldn't be over 6 feet but I always used 10 foot cables without a problem. If the cable is made in other than default length then it will work. Wouldn't recommend a cable extension but rather a cable of the length you need.

Sweet... yes it's looking like DVI cable comes even up to 35 feet

http://www.cablesforless.com/c-279-dvi-i-cables.aspx

Cleaner007 post your question in a new thread you have a better chance of getting helpful replies :cr@sh:

hrw3go glad we could help you :cr@sh: Good luck with your cockpit :cr@sh:

22 Inch Asus Monitor For 199.99 after $20 mail in rebate. Built in Webcam and audio. An idea for maybe your "main" monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

Use Code: EMCAKBGAE for additional $40 off

Wow... looks pretty spanky. I may buy 3!!!

Here is my basket as of now...

Posted Image

However, the promo code you supplied is coming back as invalid... :(

Besides the webcam, is there any difference in that monitor and this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824236028

Edited by hrw3go

Odd Promo code was working yesterday might of expired by now though.

The second monitor you linked is essentially the other one without a webcam, good specs if you're intrigued by it.