Sign in to follow this  
TerryM

Is optimize spyware?

I did the scan test. Decided not to purchase at this time. Uninstalled. My Winpatrol keeps telling me reminder.exe from Optimize is still running. I cannot get rid of it. What kind of software are these people selling. Very annoying. WiPatrol keeps popping up saying a new startup program has been detected. Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize2\reminder.exe.

I think I will never download anything else from here.

:wp:

Of course it's not spyware. It is the registration reminder. How did you 'uninstall' the program? If you used the uninstaller from either Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>Optimize2 or Add/Remove programs Register.exe should have been removed along with the rest of the program. Optimize would need to be closed when the uninstaller is run. Files in use can not be deleted.

You can either reinstall Optimize and then uninstall it correctly or simply go to My Computer>Local Drive C:\>Program Files>PC Pitstop and delete the entire Optimize2 folder where Register.exe is located.

:wp:

Of course it's not spyware. It is the registration reminder. How did you 'uninstall' the program? If you used the uninstaller from either Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>Optimize2 or Add/Remove programs Register.exe should have been removed along with the rest of the program. Optimize would need to be closed when the uninstaller is run. Files in use can not be deleted.

You can either reinstall Optimize and then uninstall it correctly or simply go to My Computer>Local Drive C:\>Program Files>PC Pitstop and delete the entire Optimize2 folder where Register.exe is located.

Sounds good, but the facts point to otherwise. I uninstalled, made sure there was nothing in progaram files>PC Pitstop. Folder deleted.

Did a search on c drive for Register.exe and could not find it. However, Win Patrole keeps poping up saying C>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Optimize2>Remove.exe is in startup programs.

As you just stated that there is no folder at C>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Optimize2 I would say the facts point to a problem with the reporting. I will assume Remove.exe is a typo and you intended to type Reminder.exe again. There is no way anything is starting from a folder that doesn't exist. You can't find it in a search because it isn't there.

Did you install Optimize to the default folder or did you redirect it during the installation? If you installed to the default location, the only other possibility is the registry key was not uninstalled for some reason.

If you know how to access the registry editor you can go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run and check if there is a PC Pitstop entry there. If so just delete it. If I recall correctly Win Patrol may also be able to do that.

To accuse PC Pitstop of fostering spyware borders on the ludicrious. If you took ten minutes to do any research about the company and its owners you would know that. And PC Pitstop partners with BillP studios, the developer of WinPatrol. Why would we be selling WinPatrol if we are supposedly spreading spyware? Or be providing a HiJackThis forum for free spyware removal? Or have free guides on spyware removal, and pages of information reporting about it, etc, etc, etc?

As you just stated that there is no folder at C>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Optimize2 I would say the facts point to a problem with the reporting. I will assume Remove.exe is a typo and you intended to type Reminder.exe again. There is no way anything is starting from a folder that doesn't exist. You can't find it in a search because it isn't there.

Did you install Optimize to the default folder or did you redirect it during the installation? If you installed to the default location, the only other possibility is the registry key was not uninstalled for some reason.

If you know how to access the registry editor you can go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run and check if there is a PC Pitstop entry there. If so just delete it. If I recall correctly Win Patrol may also be able to do that.

I did go to registry and delete the run key that was there. Yes I installed default location. So how to you explain the fact that WinPatrol keeps warning that reminder.exe is trying to ente start up folder? I would like to believe you guys are good guys. I have used PC Pitstop tests numerous times, but since I installed and tried to remove Optimize, I have not had a very good experience. I still have that in my start up folder and cannot get rid of it. Or at least that is what WinPatrol is telling me. Since you sell or represent both, you should have some idea of what is going on?

To accuse PC Pitstop of fostering spyware borders on the ludicrious. If you took ten minutes to do any research about the company and its owners you would know that. And PC Pitstop partners with BillP studios, the developer of WinPatrol. Why would we be selling WinPatrol if we are supposedly spreading spyware? Or be providing a HiJackThis forum for free spyware removal? Or have free guides on spyware removal, and pages of information reporting about it, etc, etc, etc?

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your support of WinPatrol. Sorry to hear you're experiencing any frustration.

I've tried to duplicate the problem but haven't been able to. I'm sure there's a good reason and something we can resolve.

If you click on the Options tab in WinPatrol there are a number of reports available including a hijack type log. If you could create a report and Email it to support@WinPatrol.com or post it here I'm sure I can help.

Bill

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your support of WinPatrol. Sorry to hear you're experiencing any frustration.

I've tried to duplicate the problem but haven't been able to. I'm sure there's a good reason and something we can resolve.

If you click on the Options tab in WinPatrol there are a number of reports available including a hijack type log. If you could create a report and Email it to support@WinPatrol.com or post it here I'm sure I can help.

Bill

Thank you, Bill. I will send attachment via email.

Thank you, Bill. I will send attachment via email.

Sent Bill file but have not got any feedback yet. I did uninstall WinPatrol and reinstall. It now allows me to disable optimize>Reminder.exe and it keeps it disabled so it cannot start. Before, it kept coming back and I could not keep it disabled.

Sent Bill file but have not got any feedback yet. I did uninstall WinPatrol and reinstall. It now allows me to disable optimize>Reminder.exe and it keeps it disabled so it cannot start. Before, it kept coming back and I could not keep it disabled.

Terry,

I took a look at your log and as you expected there are still components of PC Pitstop remaining on your system. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate the problem. I would recommend downloading Optimizer again, reboot and then go to the Add/Remove programs and hopefully everything will be Uninstalled correctly.

Setup programs are often flakey and even when restart isn't required I always recommend restarting after any install and especially before Uninstalling.

Bill

Bill received my report and was able to confirm the optimize>reminder.exe still remains. Cannot get rid of it. After reinstalling WinPatrol I was able to disable the file.

I did the scan test. Decided not to purchase at this time. Uninstalled. My Winpatrol keeps telling me reminder.exe from Optimize is still running. I cannot get rid of it. What kind of software are these people selling. Very annoying. WiPatrol keeps popping up saying a new startup program has been detected. Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize2\reminder.exe.

I think I will never download anything else from here.

Just a final followup. I did decide to purchase Optimize 2 and it seems to have helped some.