Sign in to follow this  
Mechm24

Stop error fixed. New Boot Error with 4 Sticks in but not 3. (Fixed)

Update: It was the BETA Bios Update that made it work. Even though the description didn't even mention it...grr. Oh well yay for problem solved. 4GB of Ram up and running. Silly memtest.

It's been driving me nuts for a while so maybe someone can help me here. During boot install from DVD it goes through the "Starting Windows" Then blue screen and stop error. Thanks for any and all suggestions

Side note:

I had it on SLI configuration then I took it off, so technically only 1x card in right now but still same error.

Stop error:

0x0000007E (0XFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFF98000E0F598, 0xFFFF98000E0F598)

System being installed on:

MOBO:

Asus A8N-SLI Socket 939

Edited by Mechm24

Would this article apply to you? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930979

Nope I do not have Vista installed if what you linked me if I'm reading it correct it's stating when I enable that in Vista?

This error is occurring during the time I boot from the BIOS off the DVD Original post I said CD but my bad it's a DVD but no I don't have Vista installed this is during installation from DVD.

Edited by Mechm24

Nope I do not have Vista installed if what you linked me if I'm reading it correct it's stating when I enable that in Vista?

This error is occurring during the time I boot from the BIOS off the DVD Original post I said CD but my bad it's a DVD but no I don't have Vista installed this is during installation from DVD.

It didn't like having 4 sticks of RAM in it.

Took out 2 and it works like a charm now.

Could also be that one of the sticks is defective, but not bad enough to have affected XP. I have all but the identical board as yours (A8N-SLI SE) and have never had a problem installing Vista (32 or 64 bit). Have also never tried running the board with all the slots filled, so no idea one way or the other how much affect it would have on mine.

Could also be that one of the sticks is defective, but not bad enough to have affected XP. I have all but the identical board as yours (A8N-SLI SE) and have never had a problem installing Vista (32 or 64 bit). Have also never tried running the board with all the slots filled, so no idea one way or the other how much affect it would have on mine.

Google search found that people have had problems with older systems something about Vista not being able to run and install with more then 3GB inserte and their are hotfixes but they haven't worked so far but I still have a few more updates to do

If you installed SP1 it includes the 4 GB hotfix. And it isn't just older systems that ran into the 4 GB/x64 install problem but some of the newer ones as well; was hit or miss if you got hit by it or not.

If you installed SP1 it includes the 4 GB hotfix. And it isn't just older systems that ran into the 4 GB/x64 install problem but some of the newer ones as well; was hit or miss if you got hit by it or not.

So there's no other hotfix? Hmm..that kind of blows, maybe my RAM is somehow messed up deep inside...I've updated the BIOS, all the drivers, I think I have like only 2 Vista updates waiting for me at home. By chance know of a good deep scan RAM test? I guess I'll just switch out between the two cards and half hope I find something wrong with one.

Gargh..still need a bit of assistance.

So I tried running memtest with all 4 sticks in. No go it failed. Assuming it might be one of the sticks..

I pull out 1 stick. (Only 3 inside now 1GB each.

Vista boots up. About to try to run memtest again with these three in and see if it doesn't fail.

Idea is maybe motherboard? But it still boots up to XP 32 bit with all 4 sticks in.

Oh yeah all updates are installed.

Oh yeah, I'm not the only one with this problem, that's good lol. Still doesn't explain why memtest failed though...

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...1&SiteID=17

Apparently the Beta BIOS update is supposed to resolve this problem even though the info on it said nothing about it...heh well windows is installing another update, hope this goes better.

Edited by Mechm24

As more DIMMs are installed, capacitive loading on the memory bus increases. Capacitance distorts and delays bus signals, and when enough RAM is installed to exceed the signaling tolerances, the memory system cannot function.

The problem can usually be overcome by relaxing the BIOS memory timings, i.e., increasing CAS latency from 2 to 2.5, RAS to CAS delay from 6 to 7, and so on.  The performance impact is unnoticeable.

Systems intended for very large RAM use drivers that are more tolerant of capacitive loading, but the essential ingredient is registered (buffered) memory.  Each DIMM is connected to the bus via a tristate buffer, which switches its inputs and outputs to a high impedance state when the module is not being accessed.  This strategy effectively disconnects inactive RAM from the bus, dramatically reducing capacitive loading (and current loading, too).

Of course, it is also possible that that one DIMM actually has a defect.

Will take a while but only test one stick at a time. If any errors are found testing more than one at a time and you will have to go back and test them individually anyway.

P.S. Hope you are running memtest from CD before Windows loads.

Will take a while but only test one stick at a time. If any errors are found testing more than one at a time and you will have to go back and test them individually anyway.

P.S. Hope you are running memtest from CD before Windows loads.

I was.

It wasn't the RAM. Still no idea why memtest failed maybe tonight when I go to sleep I'll leave it running with all 4 sticks in just to make sure.

There was an Asus BIOS Beta update. It had no description and didn't say anything about being compatible with Vista 64, and also I was browsing under Vista 64 apps and website even says be very careful when using a Beta :P well, flashed the Beta BIOS and Vista installed Service Pack 1. Where as before it was just installing 100 updates, it seemed to do it this time in one big file. But yeah now all 4 sticks are in and Vista reads 4GB.

I have had the same problem with Vista 32 Premium. Kept getting Texas Instruments IEEE 1394 OHCI Driver errors in the Device manager. So I did allot of reading too. Come to find out it is not just limited to Vista. All 32 bit operating systems have the same problem of mapping memory above 3 Gb. Vista fixes allot of problems by doing a simple clean install with 2gb RAM installed only and waiting for SP1 to install before adding any more memory chips. In other words, load up all your devices/add on cards with 2 Gb installed first and then after everything is installed and working smoothly then add the extra 2 Gb of RAM to total 4 Gb. Which really sucks.