Sign in to follow this  
EclipseWebJS2

RealPlayer ... Badware?

Anyone who uses RealPlayer on occasion should get a read out of this.

http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2008/03/2...yer-as-badware/

Over at StopBardware.org, they have posted an article which claims that the software from Real Player does not warn users about the installation of software on the users system.

Hey Jacee, what do you think about RealPlayer. Is their recent activity as bad as is being presented?

Is it any different from what Windows Media Player does?

Look, I once downloaded it because I wanted to try the "Download this Video" feature. But when Firefox 3 rolled out, that quit working. I'm quite surprised the feature still worked in IE7.

I actually use it to watch FLV video files.

shogan, since Yahoo! Music Jukebox has moved/is moving all it's clients over to Rhapsody, I've been kinda forced to use use it (in a sense). I have a premium subscription, so we'll see what happens with my 'paid' for version. I don't use RealPlayer for anything else.

shogan, since Yahoo! Music Jukebox has moved/is moving all it's clients over to Rhapsody, I've been kinda forced to use use it (in a sense). I have a premium subscription, so we'll see what happens with my 'paid' for version. I don't use RealPlayer for anything else.

Proprietary solutions suck don't they.

However you are never forced to do anything.

You and only you make the choice to use something.

If you don't like a product don't use it.

That said, I don't think Real is badware, in all honesty the label is getting ridiculously overused and being used to describe anything a person may not like.

Has anyone taken the time to read RealPlayers response to the badware label silly people are giving them.

http://www.realplayer.com/blog/

TBH I've known about these type things for many years now, back when I first started using it I loved it, I loved the way if it needed a file to play something it would go get it then be able to play that item, most of the time anyway.

When I first saw such warnings as this I didn't really know anything about such matters, or even PC's come to that, so I followed the advice and moved away, I then saw there was a version being said to be OK as it had the nasty stuff removed, and that was a version sponsored by the BBC, but I strayed away from it, until recently that is, I tried it again as I was fed up with iTunes tyeing up the iPod, so wanted more control over putting tunes on etc, not quite as impressed by it as I used to be (doesn't seem to find missing files to play stuff like it used to), but I certainly don't believe it is any worse than any other borderline software that has some in doubt.

The main secret with this software is in the installation\configuring it, there are settings laid out by default to send info to real player (the makers) to "aid" them in making it better or sorting a problem, but you can change those settings easily and they are not hidden away, the other thing is to configure the message centre to block all the messages etc, the only thing I leave enabled is notify of updates, but everything else is disable, and I have not noticed ANY issues of any kind at any point really, so as with anything installed always check the settings and change as required and it should be fine IMHO.

8210GUY,

Here is the problem.

People don't take the time to select options during install.

People don't take the time to look through settings of applications and configure them.

They do the windows dance, click, click, agree, agree, click, click.................

Then when an application does something they don't want it to do, rather then look into the settings, options, and various configurations, they whine, cry and jump to silly conclusions.

Then if they do find the settings, they whine and complain that they shouldn't have to do that.

I see it so often about third party applications, yet those same people just accept, accept, click, click, accept, accept.................over and over again on a regular basis.

I think Shogan posed the best question of all.

Is their recent activity as bad as is being presented?

Is it any different from what Windows Media Player does?

The answer to both questions is of course NO.

In fact Windows Media Player is probably worse then Real Player or any other player is.

I use VLC player, opens just about every thing, doesn't even bug my firewall to access the net

Software which installs deceptively (guideline III.A.) RealPlayer 11 does not disclose that it installs Rhapsody Player Engine, and does not remove this software when RealPlayer is uninstalled. Users are not informed by the installer or uninstaller of the connection between RealNetworks and Rhapsody Player Engine.

First of all I can't find this Rhapsody engine anywhere on my computer. Anyone know where it is? I have version 11.

Try and uninstall Notepad from Windows XP and see how far you get.

Microsoft and many other so-called reputable companies that do the same thing with their products never get listed as a threat.

But like Bruce said, people just click away and you can't even say they've never heard of security threats or deceptive software because it's all over the news. If my family is reflective of the general public then the problem is not caring until something bad happens.

It wasn't until I told my kids they would have to pay for repairs or computer replacements for a malfunction that was their fault that they decided to change their habits.

Mark

I certainly can't argue about the way people install stuff, I know I do it all the time, BUT, I take note of any install options\components using custom install and afterwards I go into the settings of the program and set it according to my needs, it doesn't surprise me that many don't, but that comes down to education IMHO, people need to be taught to be aware and how to look out for risks etc, but in my case as I use the same stuff anywhere I go I can literally fly through the install etc as I already know what is coming and what each setting will do, combine that with being aware of bad processes as much as one can realistically and avoid using things you know are bad and it's as good as the average person can get IMHO.

markcynt, check out the posted link from RealPlayer

If that's in reference to me not being able to find Rhapsody, it didn't help. I already read that article. I looked in all the obvious places.

Maybe it's because I've never used it for music and RP never had to add that part. I only use it as a backup player for videos.

Mark

First of all I can't find this Rhapsody engine

You won't find it on your computer if you didn't download it :P

I did because all my music is from my Yahoo! Music Jukebox subscription. I've paid for it and I'd like to keep it.

http://mashable.com/2008/02/04/yahoo-kills...-with-rhapsody/

So, actually this is Real Networks, and not RealPlayer.

You won't find it on your computer if you didn't download it tongue.gif

According to the article Rhapsody comes packaged with RP. Now I'm confused.

Mark

I use VLC player, opens just about every thing, doesn't even bug my firewall to access the net

Does it open Flash Video files? Because at this point RealPlayer is the only thing I can think of that opens them.

yes it does, I watch down loaded flv's on it from you tube, it's the only player I need. it doesn't cost anything, no subscription junk....no advertizing or funky flash pics to look at when I open it. It's a player and that's all, no frilly buttons and bells, just play's what I want

Yes VLC is a fantastic player, but it doesn't rip stuff, you also can't use it to upload stuff, but those are the only downsides with it for me, it's all about minimising the amount of programs of a type installed for me, and real player fits that bill nicely.

VLC is just a media player, it won't burn or convert, and it maybe more convient to have an option to burn with your player but you can use M$ to burn (cd's) or any other prog to burn dvd/cd's with. I find dbpower amp a nice cheap prog to convert media files. How many programs does one really need to burn cd's?

Yes I am well aware it is only a player, and I totally agree a very good one, and No I do not want a media player to burn my media, nor to convert it, I have plenty of other tools which I prefer for these functions, but what VLC does lack that I do want from a media player is firstly to rip my media to the hard drive, labelling it from syncing to music data bases as it goes, and I want to be able to upload songs to mp3 players which wont lock that player to a single computer or piece of software, if VLC could do these 2 things then I would be as happy as a pig in mud lol, because as a media player it is right at the top of the list, even has a graphic equaliser built in that most others either limit or charge for most of the time.