Sign in to follow this  
Carlton

Beagle

How many people keep Beagle on their system? I usually remove it right away but left it on this time. Seems like a pain in the butt though, alway's indexing this and that.

It is an option, like everything in Linux you have the option to install it or not, you have the option to disable it, or let it run.

Personally when I am setting up a computer I make the choice of what will be installed and what won't be installed. Beagle is one thing I choose not to install, among a few other things I choose not to and some that I add. When I get to my desktop for the first time it is already what I want it to be.

Options and the ability to choose are wonderful things when people "choose" to take advantage of them.

I don't use Beagle.

If I was going to use something like that, I would probably go with Google desktop search.

Thing is, 'slocate' 'ls' and 'grep' do everything that I need. :)

Not to say that I don't think it's a good idea. As Bruce pointed out, it's good to have a choice.

Ubuntu now comes with "tracker" which I use. For all I can tell, it's just a new front end to Beagle. But, it works better now than it used to, so I still use it. I find indexing to be very, very, very useful, definitely worth the resources.

But, others do not, so more power to them.