Sign in to follow this  
tokaia

Help With Data Recovery

Hey there.

I recently did some careless things that resulted in me having to all of a sudden reinstall my operating system (Windows XP home), losing some irreplaceable and valuable text (.txt) files. I've run 3 different data recovery programs, and none of them found my lost files. In fact, they only seemed to find files that are not "lost" at all. All of the files it shows are current and active files. Ones in system folders, personal folders, etc.

It was just about 2 weeks ago that this happened. I didn't reformat the drive, I just reinstalled the new over the old. I don't think they could be overwritten yet. Am I not using these programs correctly? Why aren't they showing me any "lost" files? :pullhair:

Edited by tokaia

I used Recover My Files, Get Data Back and R-SomethingIdon'tremember. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :)

Assuming you used those products on the hard drive with the data you need to recover, you just made what was a small problem into a gigantic one. It's possible that with each recovery program you used, it overwrote more and more data, which means you just permanently lost some of the data you were trying to recover.

If they're really important, at this point (assuming you used the products on the drive with data you need to recover), you need to hire a professional data recovery company.

All hope is not lost. There is a chance you could recover some of the files, but it's basically a guarantee that some of them have been overwritten, making the overwritten files very hard to recover, unless you pay for a recovery service.

What I would do is put off using the PC until you get another hard drive, install Windows to the new HD, or use software such as SystemRescueCD, or PartedMagic, which include TestDisk, and PhotoRec, which can recover files. If you do that, it's a simple matter of setting the new hard drive as the one to be written to, thus eliminating the possibility of overwriting anymore data, and making it go by faster.

The more you use the PC, the higher the risk of overwriting even more data.

Edited by brandon

I looked up those programs, and they don't look like data recovery programs. Not to mention that I'm terribly Linux-illiterate. :mrsgreen: I have a second hard drive, which I have installed Windows on and am currently using. Windows is no longer writing to my other drive. Are there any recommended data recovery programs I should use?

Edited by tokaia

It was just about 2 weeks ago that this happened. I didn't reformat the drive, I just reinstalled the new over the old.

Hi tokia,

I'm afraid this post is not going to help you much but doing an install over the old is not the best way to correct problems with your O/S. The proper way is to reformat & do a clean install. Of course, as you know, all will be erased on you C drive. That is where partitions, external HDDs, CDs/DVDs & backup come into play. When I format & do a clean install, I make sure My Documents & Favorites are either on a different partition or an external HDD. Now, there are programs like Paragon that will back up & restore a whole drive or partition.

Sorry I can't help with you present problem but from reading the previous posts, you are in good hands. :mrgreen:

Regards,

Hawk :b33r: