Sign in to follow this  
Y kawika

What a shame!

I was recently brought a dead emachine desktop in need of help.

It's an emachine T2085

Motherboard is an EliteGroup L7Vmm2 Socket A

The power supply is a Bestec ATX-250-12E

The short version is that the power supply died and when it went, it took the motherboard with it.

When a new power supply was used, the CPU fan would spin, but no signals would run to the video (onboard as well as the AGP or PCI slots) and all IDE controllers were without power as well. The thing was shot.

So, of course this customer doesn't want to lose any data on the hard drive, but didn't make any back ups (sounds about right, huh? ;) ) So I figure if I can find the same board and run a repair install, then it'll be OK.

When I go searching, it seems that emachine is no longer selling the board, but there are others that are, but are asking $300+ :yikes:

I also run across this:

“To all Emachine owners!! Buy a new psu (power supply unit) and fit it in as soon as you possibly can!!!!

The standard psu’s blow and take the mobo (motherboard) with them!!!!

Emachine’s will charge you a small fortune for it!! Spending a little on a new psu could save you a lot of money in the long run!!!!

You have been warned!!!!”

The power supply is a Bestec ATX-250-12E. If you have this Power Supply in your eMachine T2085 - or any eMachine for that matter - replace it fast!

http://www.computingsuccesssecrets.com/com...-in-particular/

I ended up slaving the drive and backing everything up, then I bought an ASRock Socket A motherboard and went for the repair install with fingers crossed.

It worked.

I was nervous about the Ram, but both sticks installed survived the psu/MB deaths.

I've never been a big fan of any SIS chipset, but this SIS 741GX is running pretty good on this old rig.

I just wanted to rant a little and to continue the warning to others that may be next in line if they are using one of these time bombs.

Back up your stuff and change that power supply!

:)Y

Not only Emachine users should watch what PSU they are putting in, EVERYONE should. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP MULTI RAIL PSU!

If you plan on using that as a replacement you might as well bury the computer.

Atleast you client was nice, most of the time they will blame you for loosing the data. :mrsgreen:

I just wanted to rant a little and to continue the warning to others that may be next in line if they are using one of these time bombs.

Back up your stuff and change that power supply!

VERY common. The other problem is that is is SO hard to find good socket a or socket 478 boards to fit those things now that when a customer comes in to my shop I end up selling them a replacement computer.

I also have 2 dead socket 939 E-machines sitting in my shop :cr@sh:

Edited by PORTHOS

I also have 2 dead socket 939 E-machines sitting in my shop :cr@sh:

Hi PORTHOS :adios:

Was it the same scenario: PSU goes and takes the motherboard with it?

I asked about power surges, lack of surge protectors, etc. and none applied to this computer. The thing just died without warning when powering on as usual. :blink:

Atleast you client was nice, most of the time they will blame you for loosing the data

Nothing was lost. All programs, data, pictures, etc are fine. They were most concerned with their Quickbooks program and data, but all came through the repair install functioning as before the death.

I replaced the PSU with an Antec Smartpower 350 Watt power supply. Any problems that you are aware of el kido with this PSU? I personnally have not had any problems with Antecs in the past, but admittedly am not as familiar with the many flavors of power supplies as you.

:)Y

Hi PORTHOS :adios:

Was it the same scenario: PSU goes and takes the motherboard with it?

I asked about power surges, lack of surge protectors, etc. and none applied to this computer. The thing just died without warning when powering on as usual. :blink:

I cant post on the forum what I think about E-machines. :filtered::filtered:

And yes Always the same. I think they use super cruddy boards as well. Also forgot to mention those fugly-useless except in a E-machine or gateway Cd-roms. :cr@sh:

Its like telling my customers their dog died when they walk in with one. :rofl2:

Not only Emachine users should watch what PSU they are putting in, EVERYONE should. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP MULTI RAIL PSU!

If you plan on using that as a replacement you might as well bury the computer.

Atleast you client was nice, most of the time they will blame you for loosing the data. :mrsgreen:

Hi, I was wondering what you mean about PSU's?

Is an expensive multi rail OK in your opinion?

OR .... is it possible to buy a single rail PSU?

Regards ....

and my friend has a very old emachine that never had a single problem. This really shouldnt be a warning to just emachine users, but virtually anyone with a computer. HP and Dell also have similar type warnings stated from various websites. they always take the grunt end of computer faults despite that all make computers that can be faulty, even a $6k NW Falcon? anways i always suggest buying the longest warranty one can afford when purchasing a computer. if used, then buyer beware.

Hi Cespenar,

The thing with multi rail Power supplies is that they lack the efficiency and distribution of power as a single rail does. Say you purchase a 4 rail PSU with 15 amps on a rail, that doesnt add up to 60 amps. Thats 15 PER RAIL.

Say you run a beefy video card like the 4870x2 and try to run it on a 600w 4 rail PSU. If the PSU cant give out the amps to charge the video card and the system, you get crashes and instability. Manufacturers say its better, which on paper it sounds amazing, but in real life it cant put up to the task. Its cheaper to produce but they yeild such higher profits they could care less.

PCPower and cooling supports only single rails. Why? Because it works. For todays times, look for a single rail PSU with more then 23 amps on a single rail and about 550w.

some Multi rails do in fact combine amp power when needed. i have a Tagen thats 4 rails and if power requires it can draw amps from another or all of them.

so cespenar can look for this feature and i suggest this feature if you purchase multirail, which has advantages of its own compared to single.

Hi Cespenar,

The thing with multi rail Power supplies is that they lack the efficiency and distribution of power as a single rail does. Say you purchase a 4 rail PSU with 15 amps on a rail, that doesnt add up to 60 amps. Thats 15 PER RAIL.

Say you run a beefy video card like the 4870x2 and try to run it on a 600w 4 rail PSU. If the PSU cant give out the amps to charge the video card and the system, you get crashes and instability. Manufacturers say its better, which on paper it sounds amazing, but in real life it cant put up to the task. Its cheaper to produce but they yeild such higher profits they could care less.

PCPower and cooling supports only single rails. Why? Because it works. For todays times, look for a single rail PSU with more then 23 amps on a single rail and about 550w.

some Multi rails do in fact combine amp power when needed. i have a Tagen thats 4 rails and if power requires it can draw amps from another or all of them.

so cespenar can look for this feature and i suggest this feature if you purchase multirail, which has advantages of its own compared to single.

Thank you, el kido and 4537256