Sign in to follow this  
annie8

Desktop Problem

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. My desktop does not fill the whole screen, in other words, there is a half inch black space on the left and the bottom. I cannot even see the task bar at the top where it says 'File'. Can someone help me fix. thanks.

Probably one of two things,

1. The video card driver is messed up

2. The monitors settings are out of whack (don't happen to have any small childern around that like to push buttons do you?)

The first can only be corrected if the cards drivers support that sort of screen adjustment. I would be more inclined to think that it is the second one that is the problem, and the fix is fairly easy. It is just a matter of using the controls/buttons on the monitor to adjust the vertical and horizontal positioning till the screen is centered again.

P.S. This should be in User to User. Not a problem, I'll just move it over there for you.

Probably one of two things,

1. The video card driver is messed up

2. The monitors settings are out of whack (don't happen to have any small childern around that like to push buttons do you?)

The first can only be corrected if the cards drivers support that sort of screen adjustment. I would be more inclined to think that it is the second one that is the problem, and the fix is fairly easy. It is just a matter of using the controls/buttons on the monitor to adjust the vertical and horizontal positioning till the screen is centered again.

P.S. This should be in User to User. Not a problem, I'll just move it over there for you.

OK, I found the menu on the monitor and there are quite a few options, but not really like mine. I've done it one at a time and now I can at least see the Outlook Express icon at the top left. There is still some black on the right and it looks a little curved, but I have it more centered but I can't push it up further to see the address at the bottom, 'cause I loose the OE button, but as long as I can see "Done" and the OE button, I think it looks much better. Thanks.

Sounds like you need to adjust the size as well as the position. To do that you need to find the control that wil most likely have an arrow similar to this,

post-3229-1214755982_thumb.jpg

Depending on the monitor there may also be another one only with the arrows pointing up and down ( I had an old Dell monitor that only had the one, and you adjusted both from the same option window). Just make the screen a bit smaller both vertically and horizontally, then try and center it as best you can using the controls previously. Once centered then go back and stretch it back out till it is touching the edges all the way around.

Also you you do have little fingers around might want to check all the options and see if there is one that allows you to lock the monitor controls.

Sounds like you need to adjust the size as well as the position. To do that you need to find the control that wil most likely have an arrow similar to this,

post-3229-1214755982_thumb.jpg

Depending on the monitor there may also be another one only with the arrows pointing up and down ( I had an old Dell monitor that only had the one, and you adjusted both from the same option window). Just make the screen a bit smaller both vertically and horizontally, then try and center it as best you can using the controls previously. Once centered then go back and stretch it back out till it is touching the edges all the way around.

Also you you do have little fingers around might want to check all the options and see if there is one that allows you to lock the monitor controls.

Nope, no little fingers but mine. I'll continue working on it, I'm sure I'll get to look right eventually.

How come I can only see the whole screen from top to bottom OE right down to 'Done' only when I'm clicked on your link in the email, showing me where to go to find your answer. When I go to the mailbox and log out of the mailbox, I lose everything, that is can't see OE, Flle, edit, etc. I put the mouse to the right top and wiggle it around a bit and everything shows up only for a second and I'm able to see the "X" button and amable to shot down the computer.

OK, I found the menu on the monitor and there are quite a few options, but not really like mine. I've done it one at a time and now I can at least see the Outlook Express icon at the top left. There is still some black on the right and it looks a little curved, but I have it more centered but I can't push it up further to see the address at the bottom, 'cause I loose the OE button, but as long as I can see "Done" and the OE button, I think it looks much better. Thanks.

You might be able to find "Default" amongst the settings using the buttons on your monitor.