Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

Need AVG (removal) uninstaller

Hi. Since Comcast supplies McAfee free, I removed AVG, but need the un-installer-cleanup tool. I did a gogle search, and a forum search, but didn't find it. I kow it's listed her somewhere.

Thanking you in advance for any help.

rsmile

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallavg.shtml

Is There an Uninstall Utility?

Unfortunately, at this time Grisoft, the maker of AVG, does not have an uninstall utility for AVG. The recommended procedure is a time consuming one. You must download the latest version of AVG from the website, and then run it.

1) Click on the following link and download AVG to your desktop

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0

2) Double-click on the downloaded file to run it

3) AVG will present you with three options to choose from. Choose the Uninstall option to completely uninstall AVG

Add/Remove Components - choose if you want to add/remove some components or reinstall the entire AVG program

Repair installation - this option repairs or reinstalls missing or damaged components of AVG

Uninstall - this option removes the AVG program from your PC

4) Once the uninstall has completed, restart your computer. You can then proceed to install another antivirus or install AVG again.

It didn't work. There was only 2 options (Run and cancel).

That link was for 8.0 and I think I had 7.5. Will that make a difference?

I'm going to assume so, and see if I can find a link for 7.5.

I had that same suite from Comcast and I don't mean to rain on your parade but in my opinion it sucks. There wasn't really any way to disable it and it came loaded with features I never even used and really slowed my system down while providing average protection. If you have a lot of ram then the slowness factor might not be a problem but really if you just get AVG 8.0 and use a firewall you have basically the same protection without all the crap that the suite comes with. This was a while ago and it didn't let me pick and choose what I wanted but maybe it's different now..

I had that same suite from Comcast and I don't mean to rain on your parade but in my opinion it sucks. There wasn't really any way to disable it and it came loaded with features I never even used and really slowed my system down while providing average protection. If you have a lot of ram then the slowness factor might not be a problem but really if you just get AVG 8.0 and use a firewall you have basically the same protection without all the crap that the suite comes with. This was a while ago and it didn't let me pick and choose what I wanted but maybe it's different now..

I se the custom choices to install and so I cut a lot of the features out. This PC is a Dell 530s and for some reason, Dell/Vista/Avg/ZoneAlarm do not play nice with each other. I've found it to be OK, SO FAR.

This is why I'm trying it on the Compaq-XP-ProSp2. I want to see if it's going to be OK there.

I'm not having much luck finding a 7.5 to try and see if it has the uninstall feature. I've even checked some forums, but no luck.

No option in this one to uninstall, or repair, either.

I found the Grisoft file with avg 7.5 in it, but can't delete it, as it says it is beng used by another deal.

I've removed the checks in misconfig and removed it from startup in WinPatrol, but still can't delete it.

Is there a tool to allow you to delete such entries that state they are being used?

I tried deleting the Grisoft file in safe mode, but that didn't work either.

Time out for lunch with one of my daughters and one of my granddaughters.

Be back.

I tried deleting the Grisoft file in safe mode, but that didn't work either.

Time out for lunch with one of my daughters and one of my granddaughters.

Be back.

Well, I ran Ccleaner + it's Registry Cleaner. Ran Clean-Up, did a registry search with Registry First Aid and deleted all of the avg entries.

Tried safe mode again, but cannot delete the Grisoft Folder on the C-drive.

Not sure if it will cause any problems anyway, but it bothers me that I can not get rid of it.

Thanking you in advance for any suggestions

Hi rgsmile,

not sure if this will work but did you try Unlocker...........

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Hope this helps.......Regards pacman123

Thanks, pacman123, for jumping in to help and for the link.

Yes, it did the job. It sure is great that there are a bunch of these "little" programs that are a "big" help.

But, greater yet, is that there are users like you that are willing to take the time and share. :clap::tup: .

Edited by rgsmile