Sign in to follow this  
Simon9one

Upgrade Time!

So, I'm about ready for my next upgrades, and I've decided on a new motherboard and waterblock. Since I'm a little behind on the times, I thought I'd ask you experts what's best.

The motherboard needs to be a beastly overclocker (obviously), and support crossfire. I also need lots of USB ports, and FireWire.

As for the waterblock, I was looking at the Swiftech Apogee GT. Any opinions on this one, or better alternatives?

Thanks in advance. :)

Forget the crossfire board. Get a single 4850 (2 scored the same as 2 GTX 280 in SLI for 1/4 the price) then get the Abit IP35P. Same as the IP35 pro, just no raid or pretty Post Code. Gaurantee you will be limited by temps, not FSB.

The swiftech is a plus.

4850 is under $200 hopefully

IP35P is under $90

and the Apogee, check PM

I'm looking for future upgradability as well as performance. And lack of RAID would really make me sad (I love my Raptor RAID). I plan on getting a pair of new cards for crossfire hopefully later this year, and I don't want to have to buy a new board as well.

How about this board? It looks pretty awesome, and the user reviews are almost all positive.

I'm looking for future upgradability as well as performance. And lack of RAID would really make me sad (I love my Raptor RAID). I plan on getting a pair of new cards for crossfire hopefully later this year, and I don't want to have to buy a new board as well.

How about this board? It looks pretty awesome, and the user reviews are almost all positive.

Hey Simon, good to see you around. That board is a nice one, but why not spend $20 more and get a X48 or P45 board, especially the P45 boards I am really looking forward too, much less power consumption too..

Edit: Have you looked at reviews on this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131297, its an Asus P45 board and its the same as the Abit X38 chispset board you linked.. Almost all user reviews and website reviews I've seen seem to be 95% on positive side, just the odd thing that people don't like, I was looking at that one, but I got my eye on a DFI X48 board, seems to be brilliant..

Edited by miggs78

I have the X38, annd, the bios is buggy and will drive you mad. The best one is the new beta which I havent even run yet. the only issue is the BIOS freezes for no reason and then the SAME OC setting wont work twice. go figure :hammer:

That P45 Miggs linked looks awesome. dual x8 slots is the only let down.

I cant really reccomend the X48 or X38 since the price is unbelievable, but the DFI board miggs wants looks like a perfect deal.

If I had to though Id get the P45.

BUT, what you can do is get that IP35P, by a raid card for like $20 which will perform better then onboard, and then you save like $100 for a new GPU.

What BIOS are you using? It looks like they just released a new one last month.

I'm stuck between the Abit and the Asus Miggs posted. What would be the advantages of a P45 over an X38?

What BIOS are you using? It looks like they just released a new one last month.

I'm stuck between the Abit and the Asus Miggs posted. What would be the advantages of a P45 over an X38?

I am Using like 12B09, the new beta is like 13B01 or something, i just never had a chance to install it. I overclocked higher then my P35 on this board, but I think the P45 would be much more stable and should last until Nahelm.

Problem with P45 is the PCI E Lanes

They're not a problem at all. The lanes are PCIe 2.0, so at 8x, they're equivalent to 16x PCIe 1.1 lanes, provided you have a PCIe 2.0 card.

Edited by brandon

Bios 13 (stable) was released last month. You have to check the Abit Global site, as they're slow to update the USA site.

I'm starting to lean towards the p45 now.

Bios 13 (stable) was released last month. You have to check the Abit Global site, as they're slow to update the USA site.

LVCoyote in the forums has all the betas, they never post them in the Abit Site though. I gota check since I need to update mine.

Brandon, Im against that one, do you have a link?

The performance increse from 1.1 to 2.0 was so weak, i wouldnt think it would be that strong to pair to dual 1.1 x16 lanes?

Both good boards. Cant go wrong either way.

That's because no card could take advantage of the bandwidth increase in PCIe 2.0.

PCIe 2.0 has double the bandwidth of 1.1, so PCIe 2.0 16x would be equivalent to PCIe 1.1 32x. And PCIe 1.1 @ 16x has not been shown to be a bottleneck at all for pretty much every video card made.

Just look up the P45 specs if you want to see what I was referring to.

Edited by brandon

Same here Simon, except I might wait a month more or so just so more products can be released, DFI P35 & X38 boards were superb, huge overclockers, so I wanna see what DFI will offer for P45, but generally lets wait and watch...

I've been looking over a bunch of reviews, and I think I'm going with the Abit. It seems to be the better overclocker of the two, and has some features I really like.

Thanks for the help! :)