Sign in to follow this  
dpcjudy

Disk MD and Vista 64 bit

Somehow I got the impression from the web page for this product that it ran under Vista 64 bit.

However, the first time I ran it --- I did go to disk clean up and choose to remove all previous system restores-- it took over an hour ....and that is OK it that is needed.

But, when I copied and printed the list of fragmented files, there were 55 PAGES ! Most of these were in system32 and most were only 1 fragment.

BUT, I am thinking that something is wrong to have THAT MANY PAGES.

So, maybe this program is not compatible with Vista 64 bit?

Thanks for any help .

DiskMD was tested and approved for use with Vista 64.

What version are you using? The original version reported every fragment that it could find, it was my understanding that subsequent versions were going to not report files with only a single fragment.

Are you running DiskMD as an administrator?

As IntelGuy said it was tested and works fine on Vista 64. If you have been using it for a while as far as the log file goes (assuming DiskMD_log.txt is where you're looking); DiskMD does not create a new log every time it is run, but adds to the existing log. Would certainly explain how you are seeing 55 pages in the log file.

Also are you running the latest version, 2.0.0.2?

Thanks both Story and Intelguy,

I am using version 2.0.0.2. Have only run it once.

Are you saying that the second time I run it that it will not have 55 pages listing the fragments? Actually both the log and the list seen in the program are the same. The second time I run it you say that the log only adds the second list of fragments. So, it the same fragments appear, then they are not listed twice?

But wouldn't they be listed in the box in the program itself at the end that tells you what is still fragmented?

I must be running as administrator since I am the only user and am signed in as administrator.

But didn't right click and choose "run as administrator." What difference does it make re administrator or not ?

How big (kb or MB) is the log file? If you can maybe send it to InteGuy or myself so we can take a look at it.

There are two log files in the DiskMD program folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\PCPitstop\Disk MD); one called DiskMD_log.txt which lists everything, and one called Last_Scan.txt which only lists the amount of fragmentation found. In both of them they don't not get re-written when you run DiskMD, but each run is added to the existing log, makes it so that if you're interested in that sort of thing then you can keep track of how it is performing over time.

Are you saying that the second time I run it that it will not have 55 pages listing the fragments?

You shouldn't. The only reason I can see for it to be that large is that your drive was in serious need of being defragmented.

One thing about when looking at the % of fragmentation showing, DiskMD doesn't (and neither do most others) defrag restore points. You can see this by running DiskMD and making note of the % of fragmentation; closing DiskMD and deleting all (or all but the last one) restore points; then running DiskMD again and the % will be greatly reduced without actually running a defrag.

P.S. Seeing as you are running Vista 64 and use Disk Cleanup you might want to take a look here,

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=156471

and make the necessary change.

How big (kb or MB) is the log file? If you can maybe send it to InteGuy or myself so we can take a look at it.

There are two log files in the DiskMD program folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\PCPitstop\Disk MD); one called DiskMD_log.txt which lists everything, and one called Last_Scan.txt which only lists the amount of fragmentation found. In both of them they don't not get re-written when you run DiskMD, but each run is added to the existing log, makes it so that if you're interested in that sort of thing then you can keep track of how it is performing over time.

You shouldn't. The only reason I can see for it to be that large is that your drive was in serious need of being defragmented.

One thing about when looking at the % of fragmentation showing, DiskMD doesn't (and neither do most others) defrag restore points. You can see this by running DiskMD and making note of the % of fragmentation; closing DiskMD and deleting all (or all but the last one) restore points; then running DiskMD again and the % will be greatly reduced without actually running a defrag.

P.S. Seeing as you are running Vista 64 and use Disk Cleanup you might want to take a look here,

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=156471

and make the necessary change.

Thanks for the link to change the target for Disk Cleanup.

Out of my log of 55 pages, only about 5 entries are from system restore.

The majority are System 32 files.

I have never been able to find the C:\ system volume information files and have hide files un-checked.

Even after choosing to remove the last restore point using disk cleanup under XP, I still get many fragmented system restore files and could never find where they were located.

Do you really want me to post all 55 pages of my log ?

Thanks

Do you really want me to post all 55 pages of my log ?

Thanks

No, stormy is talking about adding the .txt logfile as an email attachment, not posting it in the forum.

In Tools>Folder Options>View

Put a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

then scoll down 2 spots and uncheck:

"Hide Protected Operating System Files (recommended)"

The C:\ system volume information files should now be visible at C:\

No, stormy is talking about adding the .txt logfile as an email attachment, not posting it in the forum.

In Tools>Folder Options>View

Put a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

then scoll down 2 spots and uncheck:

"Hide Protected Operating System Files (recommended)"

The C:\ system volume information files should now be visible at C:\

I get an error message when I try to access the system volume information : access denied.

But when I "hover" the pop up box says folder is empty.

To what email address do you want me to send my log ?

Am not using Disk MD until these issues are resolved.

Thanks so much for your help

Just click on the email button under IntelGuy's or my name.

I get an error message when I try to access the system volume information : access denied.

Perfectly normal. That folder and files are protected operating system files.