Sign in to follow this  
Chas47448

Find misspelled items on ebay

I am the proud owner of Auction Bloopers. My stats showed a large increase in traffic and low and behold it was from this website. I never been to pcpitstop but it looks like it would be a great site for nerds like me. You'll likely see more of me B)

Thanks for the link.

Hmm, Paige posts an interesting article but one that is flawed. It assumes that some eBay users misspell the words that they are searching for and so will therefore end up seeing the misspelled items anyway.

The problem with this assumption is that there's more than one way to misspell a word. The word computer can be misspelled 64 different ways so the buyer is only going to see a fraction of the potential misspellings for a word. (source: eBay misspellings article).

eBay will also recognise most misspellings when entered directly into eBay and usually provides a link to the search results for the correct spelling. I'm willing to bet that most people click this rather than looking at the misspelled items.

Is there competition for misspelled items ? Sure there is but I don't think that it's anywhere near as high as that article makes out. The trick is knowing what to search for and how to search for it.

I've made a fair bit of money from buying misspelled eBay items and reselling by relisting them correctly, something I found out about for free by reading this free eBay arbitrage ebook.

Probably the biggest concern when buying misspelled eBay items is that they are fakes or counterfeits. One tip is check the actual picture of the item. If the picture shows an Abercrombie top but the seller misspells it as Abrecrombie then you're pretty safe although I usually run the auction through a free tool to see if they are a scammer called Auction-Follow.com. This has the benefit of letting me watch the item by email and see how many other people are watching the item as well.

As long as everyone is making recommendations for an eBay misspelling tool, http://www.ebuyersedge is another that you can try. It has the added feature of saving misspelling searches (it will also save "in description, not in title" searches), sending you an e-mail when a matching item is listed on eBay.

"Original term" saved search functionality is also being added.

This works best with "Buy It Now"s, but also works with auctions.