Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Windows XP lives on thanks to Linux

Yep, XP will get an extended life, not because people are clamoring for it, but because Linux has caught Microsft completely off guard and has dominated the new mini notebooks on the market.

the smashing success of Asus with its Eee Xandros Linux-powered UMPC and other Linux equipped mini-notebooks like Everex's gOS-powered UMPCs caught Microsoft completely by surprise. It turned out people wanted inexpensive, hard-working Linux laptops rather than overpriced, underpowered Vista PCs.

If anyone thought this was a flash in the pan, that Asus just hit it lucky once, they haven't been paying attention. Intel is putting big bucks into its Atom family of processors, which have been designed for UMPCs, or as Intel would have it, MIDs. Intel has encouraged both the computer makers and the Linux companies in its Moblin initiative to run desktop Linux.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/xp_lives_sort_of

I signed the InfoWorld petition to save XP. Admittedly I have no experience with Linux yet, but I applaud any efforts, whether directly or indirectly, to extend XPs life cycle. -kd5-

I signed the InfoWorld petition to save XP. Admittedly I have no experience with Linux yet, but I applaud any efforts, whether directly or indirectly, to extend XPs life cycle. -kd5-

I don't think there are any efforts to save XP, just the market forces at work.

vista kernel is just too bloated with drm its a shame, strip it down and then this will change everything, drm has a lot to do with how the system operates, also driver support and system resources.

just dreaming of course, wishful thinking but i am sure there will be fewer bsod's.

as for cancel and allow, someone stated in gd that a simple change in group policy will enable password prompts instead, i have not tried it for vista, and don't intend to because i do not use it.

i predict that xp will eventually lose ground, however a version of windows will be licensed and be hardware and user friendly.

when i say user friendly, my linux os is exactly that, drivers/ modules built with the kernel, that also decreases security vulnerabilities, but this can only be done by removing the bloat first!

those days should have been over, no one should have to pop in a driver cd to get the lan working, this is one of the luxuries of linux in most cases, at least this way the user is up and going within minutes, we can almost imagine they would take that path.

building an operating system around the customer rather than digital rights management is key, if they don't of course it doesn't operate for the customer, reactivating because we updated a driver is unacceptable, i refuse to call anyone to turn something on i already payed for !

when i use an os should operate "my" computer accordingly, as they have rules' i do as well, conflict with that and i will not seek closure, i will toss it in the trash.

i am giving an example of my emotions on the subject to clarify what a customer thinks, in simple terms i do not like vista, of course a lot say this exact thing, there is a reason for everything :)

The Linux kernel itself is rather large because of all the kernel drivers, so MS isn't the only one with a big kernel.

remove the bloat then it would be a useful kernel for the customer and not the movie industry that uses your hardware to protect its content :lol:

While the kernel is the heart of an operating system, it's not the only thing that makes an OS bloated.

Edited by brandon

i can relate to that, there are useless apps that most will never use, virtualization to hide resources and secure core components is useful but can drag a system into the ground !

what do you mean brandon?

The Linux kernel itself is rather large because of all the kernel drivers, so MS isn't the only one with a big kernel.

You call 46 megabytes bloated?

That is the size of the latest full release kernel.

I never said bloated, I said "rather large". They could probably move those drivers into userland without too much of a performance hit, and reduce the kernel size by quite a bit.

In fact, I believe I read a discussion of moving the kernel mode drivers into userland.

Edited by brandon