Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d0nut

Weird Screen on Lenovo laptop

My grandson has a Lenovo 3000 C100 laptop which has the following problem: http://www.artus-fh.co.uk/source/Pics.html

Has anyone any idea of the cause? I tried connecting another TFT screen, but the laptop screen remained the same, the monitor screen giving a no 'no signal' report.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

d0nut

Guest dwfinch

It looks like the monitor refresh rate is set to high! It should be set to 60Mhz

I'd try to boot it up in safe mode, and see what it is set at!

Thanks. Just tried using safe mode, but all I get is a totally blank screen, no striations.

Update. Firstly, the name of the laptop is Lenovo, not Ionovo. I have now found out how to use an external screen by pressing the relevant fn. buttons. The laptop screen is definitely faulty, but although Windows (XP) begins to boot, when it reaches the point where the loading strip is displayed, the screen goes black and I get a No Signal Input message. I have tried safe mode and it loads OK. I went back to an earlier System Restore point, but this has made no difference.

Any further help appreciated.

d0nut

It might be that windows is trying to load the drivers for the monitor. In safe mode see if you can uninstall the drivers for the monitor.

Update. Firstly, the name of the laptop is Lenovo, not Ionovo.

Fixed... :) -kd5-

Thanks, KD5. Just realised what you meant. :) Well, the good news is that I went into device manager and deleted/replaced the video drivers (thanks, mouse) which resolved the black screen problem. The bad news is that the laptop screen is definitely coal-boxed. I don't think investing money in this beast is an option. From what I have read on the Net, this is not the most dependable laptop on the market. Made by the Chinese company that took over from IBM, apparently, but not up to IBM standards. Plus, they have a very poor customer relations record.

The laptop is still under 12 months warranty, but as this was an insurance replacement we have no proof of purchase, ie. till receipt and Lenovo refuse point blank to accept responsibility. Can't blame them, in a way.

Looks like we will be using it on an external TFT.

Thanks for the assistance, folks.

Mission completed. :cheers: